Question Prelaunch preparation
    Peace everyone

I am going to launch a new website in the next couple of weeks. I can't do it right now because of problems with my bank and card.
    Till then I have all the time in my hand and I don't wanna waste any of it. Can you suggest things which I should be doing during this wait? Actions which I can instantly apply on the launch and add to the success of the site. I have selected an affiliate program and also working on the content as of now. I have thought of exploring places where I can get backlinks from but haven't touched it yet because I hate link building.

Is there anything else where I should be investing this free time?

I was also considering making it a membership website. I'm relatively new to websites creation and have negligible knowledge about membership sites. I'd really appreciate it if someone shares his/her experience with making such sites.

What platform are you launching on? Is this going to be a WP site? Joomla? It makes a difference when asking for suggestions.

One suggestion in any case: don't build a site based on one affiliate program. They can disappear and leave your site useless. It's better to target a topic or product than a merchant.

I would not make it a membership site. Some people don't like that and the more people to your site - the more money you'll make.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Here's a link to BEST DAMN WEB MARKETING CHECKLIST, posted by Lintlin about a year ago.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks for your replies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    What platform are you launching on? Is this going to be a WP site? Joomla? It makes a difference when asking for suggestions.

One suggestion in any case: don't build a site based on one affiliate program. They can disappear and leave your site useless. It's better to target a topic or product than a merchant.
    I have never used Joomla. At places, I've even heard its criticism. So its gonna be Wordpress.
    I'm not focussing on just one program. Its just for the beginning. I'll be expanding the website in accordance with the niche and take more programs consequently.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I would not make it a membership site. Some people don't like that and the more people to your site - the more money you'll make.
    I didn't know that. I just thought making a member's area might give me more scope for monetizing. Your response brought wikipedia to my head . I'll give up the idea of making memberships now.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Here's a link to BEST DAMN WEB MARKETING CHECKLIST, posted by Lintlin about a year ago.

-rematt
    I just downloaded it. Looks very interesting. I'll definitely go through it now. Thanks a lot for the link.
    Last edited by Raindance; February 12th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

*****bump

I would be spending my time doing the homework. Research to choose your most advantageous keywords, have articles written to add on a schedule, find out all you can about the competition. Since you have chosen your niche you have plenty of work to keep you busy so that when you start it is a smooth launch. Plan your site navigation, set up your site policies pages, research what plugins you plan to use. Double check your checklist. Work on a logo. Download the WP theme you plan to use and do any theme editing you need. Create your robots.txt file and your .htaccess file. Read all you can about using WP to have an easy setup.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread