Question Site Monitoring Tool
    How are people here monitoring their websites so they are notified when a site goes down??

Right now I have 20+ Sites spread on 4 different host. What I have done up to now is setup a free account on WatchMouse for each host and monitor one site per host. That has work fairly good in the past when all sites were hosted in one application pool but now a lot of host have one application pool for each site (A good thing).

So now it not uncommon for one site to go down and the other sites one the same host/account to work just fine.

So how can I monitor each and every site without have to pay a lot of $$ or setup a free account for every site.

Does anyone have any suggestions??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

2. Thanks From:

I've been using free account (one for each site) at ServerMojo.com to detect and report outages.

Unfortunately, I've recently seen a spurt of "outage" reports from ServerMojo for my HostGator sites, but HostGator claims that nothing is wrong, and I've been unable to follow up until this week. (I suspect that the issue might not be "real" outages, but very slow response times.)

(Back in 1999, I was paying $500 per month to colocate a server at Above.net, and experienced many outages which they claimed weren't happening. It took weeks to verify that their tools didn't measure the "local loop," where a group of adjacent servers had been zombied and used to launch DNS attacks, completely saturating the shared network connection for short intervals (3 to 10 minutes). Once it became clear that Above.net wasn't willing to address the problem, I bought another $4,000 server to install at another colo facility, so I could transition before pulling the first server from Above.net.)
    Last edited by markwelch; February 14th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Usually server monitoring should be done from web host end, however, you can also try dotcom-monitor to check your website status. In addition if you have the WHM Host Manager access, then you can easily analyze Service Status as well.
    Last edited by Rozanne; March 5th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Pingdom free account
    I have a free account from Pingdom monitoring one of my domains. I have tried several other monitoring companies. Pingdom rotates between approximately 24 servers around the world. I have them monitor every 5 minutes and it is amazing how often they come in, on the exact second.

I second the Pingdom recommendation. Would work great for your needs and is very affordable.
    Steven Clarke
    SeeksAdmin.com
    Join @ SAS
    Server Management Affiliate Program
    We specialize in making life easier for everyone. Focus on what you do best on the internet. We handle securing, optimizing, monitoring your servers 24/7! Commissions start at $45/sale + regular bonuses.

Thank you all for the feed back.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Yes, Pingdom is excellent. There is a 30-day free trial for their basic and business packages.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Another good one is hyperspin.
    Although mon.itor.us is good, I do not like that interface.

All of these options are going to cost me $40 a month, are people here paying for the monitoring or are you using the free accounts, and creating one account for each site?

I use a reliable VPS account and install my own monitoring tool, Zabbix. There are others like Munnin and Nagios. They also include a lot of stats you may find interesting. With it, you can configure how you would like to be notified, pretty flexible system.

Except that the only point of failure becomes the VPS. Depends on how important that information is for you, and how much budget you are willing to allocate, you can build a simple load balance servers for this to minimize down time. With a good VPS, I get 99.95% up time, which is excellent. I'm not running any mission critical websites anyway.

Plus, you can use the VPS for other things. I use the space for additional backup and a git repository for my sites. (I use git to track revisions for production and development sites, but that's another topic, I guess.)

12. Thanks From:
    kse

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I'm using this service on 2 sites as a test, Free Website Uptime Monitoring - Uptime Robot, it is free and I have been notified via email at least 3 or 4 times about my site being down and then another email when the site is back up.

14. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports View Post
    I'm using this service on 2 sites as a test, Free Website Uptime Monitoring - Uptime Robot, it is free and I have been notified via email at least 3 or 4 times about my site being down and then another email when the site is back up.
    Thanks!!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread