HostGator - slow response times? Options?
    Over the past 10 days, I've seen a surprising number of "outage notifications" from my monitoring service (servermojo). Yesterday I added monitoring from a second service (WatchMouse), so today when I received notifications from both services I think it's reasonable to conclude that something really is wrong.

These sites are all hosted at HostGator; when I submit tickets, they just keep asking for more and more detailed information (where is the monitoring service's server located, etc.), and claiming that they aren't aware of any problem.

I've personally experienced both "slow response times" (exceeding 10 seconds to retrieve a static HTML page) and "timeouts." I assume that the problem is that HostGator has oversold its capacity (bandwidth or CPU or both), although it's also possible that the problems are "upline" (the colocation facility or network providers).

Are other folks experiencing similar problems? Do you have any helpful suggestions?

I really, really hate to change hosting providers, but I don't see any other options right now.

Clarification: I am not asking for recommendations of a hosting provider (if you insist, send me a PM with your suggestion, not here). Instead, I'm looking for any specific feedback and suggestions about the HostGator service -- for example, is there a specific person at HostGator whom I could contact, who might actually investigate the issue and perhaps find a solution (such as rebalancing servers)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markwelch; February 15th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

All of my sites are hosted at HostGator and I have never had any problems with them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I noticed a few days ago that all my hostgator sites were down for about a half hour in the evening.

Hostgator is good but not the best host I've used. I experienced minimal downtime with them, but often the server I was on was sluggish.

As with any host (especially budget hosts like Hostgator) it really depends on lucking onto a server with good neighbors.

If you're using a third party monitoring program, more than likely they are using ICMP to send and measure your requests. Just because there wasn't a response, doesn't mean your site was down. It means it didn't get a reply.

ICMP (ping, echo) are the lowest priority packets, normally treated as such by all of the networking equipment used on the Internet today. If an ICMP packet is dropped, blocked, buffered or delayed past its time to live, it is not retransmitted. Using it for any type of diagnostics will not produce credible data.

ICMP (or ping) was the first protocol used in DOS (Denial of Service) attacks. Many providers deny them by default, some only allow a certain number through for a given time period, some intentionally redirect them to a null interface. They still allow it for limited testing (ping to see if your server is up) but it doesn't mean the server or web services are unavailable.

Point being, don't rely on those third party monitoring tools. If you are on shared hosting, then you're limited in whats available in your server logs. You get what you pay for. If you have a dedicated server, you can install your own monitoring tools that will tell you facts about what services were available when, and what wasn't. That's a whole different topic.

I've used other hosts and used Hostgator for shared and dedicated servers. Of all the providers I've used, they were the best. Uptime and speed are always good, support more than helpful, always fast, always competent. Can't say the same for other experiences I've had.

Reference articles;
    Are my ping times and packet loss a problem? Cox HSI Forum FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
    Internet Engineering Task Force

6. Thanks From:

Forgot to mention this part. Even those monitoring services that make multiple checks into servers, especially shared servers, it creates additional load on those servers. Many ISP's when managing network QOS (Quality of Service) will change the priority or completely block those third party sites.

Many intrusion detection programs will automatically block them as well when they see the repeated requests over and over. They learn over time and make adjustments as necessary. So even if you're third party programs monitor different aspects of web services, they may eventually get dropped or blocked, even though your server is running just fine.

Some of the support people I've spoken with consider it to be rude and inconsiderate of the others on the shared servers, and go out of their way to block the third party systems completely. It's not that they are hiding anything, it's because it puts unnecessary load on the services others share as well.
    Last edited by Mack; February 16th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Mack, I certainly understand that there can be false positives, and I'd love to find an alternate way to do monitoring. I'd welcome any suggestions. My understanding is that both services are using regular http requests for HTML pages (some static HTML, some dynamic WordPress pages). There's no indication that HostGator is blocking the requests.

But these are real problems at HostGator, and their responses have been quite unsatisfactory. (In reply to my ticket yesterday, a technician wrote, "I'm not getting any slowness on the sites when I check them. Can you give us times you experienced slowdowns." (He simply ignored the attachment I'd submitted with my ticket request, listing the dates & times -- an unedited version of the same image I posted above.)
    Last edited by markwelch; February 16th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

I finally got someone at HG to agree to "escalate" the issue.

On a separate note, I spent a half-hour tracking down the log files (last year I had to jump through hoops to set things up so that log files would actually be saved), in the hopes of seeing if there were significant gaps. That doesn't work because (surprise!) the log file data is corrupted.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If I ever have HG issues I use their chat support - they can take care of a lot in a short amount of time.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You know, I noticed this month, HG seemed to be slower than usual. one of my sites with them would take longer then normal to load up and it's a simple site, seems to be a little more normal now though. never gave it much though, but HG does have the best customer service if you have any issues.

After the issue was escalated, HostGator responded:

> "This issue appears to be related to another user using an extremely high amount of bandwidth. The times on your timeout reports match exactly with that users peak activity times, which indicates even greater that that's the issue.

"Since this user has been using the server in a fairly legitimate way for quite some time but appears to have had a large traffic increase in the last couple months, I'm going to give the user a few options to resolve this, allowing 24 hours for him/her to take action and resolve this. If that doesn't work, we'll be forced to block the content causing the issues (not your content, the abusers). If you continue to have issues though, please let us know."
    <

This was written on February 17, but as usual the HG ticket system did not notify me about the update. I just checked today and found this.

In short, they acknowledged a specific problem, which would not have been identified or addressed if I hadn't escalated the ticket. I haven't seen any outage notifications since then.
    Last edited by markwelch; February 22nd, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've been trying to cancel my account at HostGator the last few days. They are slow to reply to this too. First you have to fill a special form then wait a day for a reply. I was offered 20% discount on renewal with coupon code. I said no, please cancel account. Twice... finally got a reply saying the request is processed to end account on my renewal date months from now. I guess they don't honor refunds for time unused. :-( I'm replying more in more detail this request.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant View Post
    I guess they don't honor refunds for time unused
    There is no refund after the first 30 days.

I have experienced this. Canceled one account early and got full refund. Second account will be canceled near the end term and I will move to a new host.

Does Gator use the Planet data center?
    Does Blue Host use the same data center?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    After the issue was escalated, HostGator responded:

> "This issue appears to be related to another user using an extremely high amount of bandwidth. The times on your timeout reports match exactly with that users peak activity times, which indicates even greater that that's the issue.

"Since this user has been using the server in a fairly legitimate way for quite some time but appears to have had a large traffic increase in the last couple months, I'm going to give the user a few options to resolve this, allowing 24 hours for him/her to take action and resolve this. If that doesn't work, we'll be forced to block the content causing the issues (not your content, the abusers). If you continue to have issues though, please let us know."
    <

This was written on February 17, but as usual the HG ticket system did not notify me about the update. I just checked today and found this.

In short, they acknowledged a specific problem, which would not have been identified or addressed if I hadn't escalated the ticket. I haven't seen any outage notifications since then.
    So their saying somebody is taking up too much traffic on HG?

Wow!!! This comes just as I switch to Hostgator. I have noticed an increase in page download times. Does anyone have any other hosting options...Any please do not mention a HG reseller or Godaddy - <GAG!>
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]Marie Sanders[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [URL="http://mariesandersonline.com"]htttp://www.mariesandersonline.com[/URL]

So their saying somebody is taking up too much traffic on HG?
    Too much bandwidth does not necessarily mean too much traffic. Some scripts overwork the server even with no traffic and others sharing the server suffer slower load time issues when they share that server. The host will solve the problem but until they do, others get slower service.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoScout View Post
    Wow!!! This comes just as I switch to Hostgator. I have noticed an increase in page download times. Does anyone have any other hosting options...Any please do not mention a HG reseller or Godaddy - <GAG!>
    We use three different service providers. We will never put all the eggs in the same basket...

1) I have some sites at Hostgator, and have been happy there, for the price, so far. However, if I begin experiencing the problems listed in this thread I will move.

2) I have also been very happy with a couple of VPS accounts at Servint (Servint.com). Not cheap, but very reliable. My largest (and oldest) sites are here.

3) Our merchant programs (GirlyChecks.com & BusinessChecks.org) are at RackSpace.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    Doesn't Hostgator actually use Rackspace as their data center?

I am 4 months into my first Hostgator account and it will not happen again. The search is on now.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

HG uses The Planet.

I have been with HG on a reseller server for years and have never had any problems with them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I noticed some of my accounts (on a HG reseller account) have also been slow for a few weeks.

This is the risk of using shared hosting. Planning to move those sites to a dedicated. Looking into HG or Liquidweb. I would like to stay with cPanel and have managed services. I use Liquidweb with some other projects and they have been good so far.

Using the WHM interface I can see my HG server load is currently: Server load 19.04 (28 CPUs)
    ...which is not good (above 8 and the response time degrades).

@markwelch:
    The slowness on your site because of some other site using a lot of bandwidth is not likely since the server probably has a 1GB link. This more likely to be the CPU load on the server (too many hosted accounts or some very demanding web application)...
    Last edited by delsol; March 21st, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Just ordered a dedicated with Liquidweb:

This link is a special (best price / performance in my opinion):
    https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/conte...ials/X6Special

They offer WHM and cPanel just like HG....

I had no problem yet. Using them for over a year and a half. But true that I didn't use any third-party monitoring service. Have you tried their online chat support?

Yes I did chat with them and opened a ticket once about this.
    They offer very good support (Chat etc...). I would still recommend HG for someone starting out (excellent price, speed (when no issue on the server), very fast support, features).

I had a "physical" hosting company for 10 years. The risk with shared hosting is that they/we put 1000s of sites on the same server. You just need 1 innocent development mistake to bring a server to a crawl. They will eventually find the developer and make him stop but it takes a dedicated customer or even many customers complaining before they start this intense forensic work (ie tracking down the guilty script).

It is interesting that many of us are having a performance issue...could we all be on the same server...?

This problem might be more common with "reseller accounts" since we can create an unlimited number of accounts within our allocated space/bandwidth. To make thing worst we can even upgrade our reseller plan and stay on that same server. In other words, HG does not really control the number of sites on these servers and it makes it difficult to properly plan.

Personally, I have enough sites, to relocate, to justify the expense of a dedicated server. Again I still would recommend HG for someone starting a brand new site with a limited budget.
    Last edited by delsol; March 22nd, 2011 at 04:19 AM.

I decided to move one of my sites from my Host Gator reseller account to a dedicated server with Liquid Web. Check out the performance improvement...

I don't really care about blazing speed, for those sites. The slowness was just becoming too much.
    Last edited by delsol; March 29th, 2011 at 09:17 AM.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread