When a merchant says "you can't promote that."
    I just got an email from the OPM of a merchant of mine. Apparently I may not be allowed to promote their on page promotions/discounts by using the create a custom link in SAS. I was also told that I can only promote affiliate promotions ONLY.
    My question is, if there is nothing said in the programs Ts&Cs about promoting merchant site promotions; can a merchant forbid an affiliate from promoting those types of deals? Have any of you had a similar issue with a merchant/OPM?
    I was even threatened to have my commissions reversed if I don't clear the "onsite" links.
    Oh and the affiliate promos are few and not compelling, and they have been the same for ages.
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by CluckCluck; February 17th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Maybe I'm anti-social, but the first thing I'd do is change to links that promote the merchant's most direct competitor, and then email that OPM a link to the my updated page... "OK, I fixed it. How's this?".
    Last edited by davidh; February 17th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Maybe I'm anti-social, but the first thing I'd do is change to links that promote the merchant's most direct competitor, and then email that OPM a link to the my updated page... "OK, I fixed it. How's this?".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Not in the T&C's? See DavidH's post. Tough to argue with his logic.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I agree with David. I'm figuring out which merchant would be best to switch to. Unfortunately, they're #2 in my niche and #1 doesn't have an affiliate program. Bummer.
    Either way, if I get the red light on creating direct links, then I'm gone.

So go with #3 or #4. If you try them you might even find they convert well.

We have 25K+ hotels listed on one of our sites. Occasionally we get a nasty note from a hotel saying "Blah blah blah, such-and-such is wrong. We expect you fix it right away." We do not write the descriptions - they come through the "system" where the data are originally provided by the hotel or the hotel's home office.

My response is usually to hit "delete" in the datafeed and respond that the errors are gone - with a link to the directory for whichever city they are in. (Fortunately in the travel biz there is ALWAYS a competitor. I have another niche where it would be difficult, but not impossible - even if I had to resort to Amazon or eBay. )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think a lot of merchants use this to get out of paying. They say we can't promote onsite coupons, only affiliate approved promotions. Then when a consumer goes through our link to their site and sees a promotion and uses it, they don't have to pay because the consumer used a non affiliate approved promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld View Post
    I think a lot of merchants use this to get out of paying. They say we can't promote onsite coupons, only affiliate approved promotions. Then when a consumer goes through our link to their site and sees a promotion and uses it, they don't have to pay because the consumer used a non affiliate approved promotion.
    What a Catch-22! So this another one of those "gotchas" most affiliates would never know about...I certainly didn't know this.

+1 davidh. Copy & paste their TOS & ask them to highlight where you've violated any term.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Merchants say the darndest things. It should be in the terms and conditions. If it isn't now, it should be soon and enforced after the terms are set. I'm not saying I agree with the merchants stance, but if it were my client, I'd have to enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with the merchants stance, but if it were my client, I'd have to enforce it.
    ...and if I were their affiliate I'd have to say adiós. Merchants with terms like these are just looking for all the free traffic that they can get. There is usually no reason to work with them when there are plenty of merchants that respect affiliates and understand that when we make money, they make money.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; February 18th, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: They're, their, there; who cares.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    ...and if I were they're affiliate I'd have to say adiós. Merchants with terms like these are just looking for all the free traffic that they can get. There is usually no reason to work with them when there are plenty of merchants that respect affiliates and understand that when we make money, they make money.

-rematt
    Yes, that is a consequence. I wouldn't blame you.

Funny thing is, I'm still waiting to hear back from the OPM regarding my "link compliance". If I were doing such horrible things withing their affiliate program, I would think they would opt to quickly respond...or do they like the traffic I'm sending them?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread