I just got the email about ecomxpo.

Is it me, or are there no dates for this anywhere on the site?

February 17-19th

(Click on what is ecomexpo, then when is the event?)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Got this from one of my merchants and from Haiko. Aren't some of their affiliates listed the folks that have been causing so many problems (Ebates, Fatwallet, iGive.com, SchoolPop)?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Easy with the broad stroking. FatWallet is legit.

I have also been approached to be a presenter..

Fatwallet is not doing anything they shouldn't be doing. They are honest hard working people. Tim is a great guy and I consider him a friend.

Whose idea was it and who is putting it on? Is it a joint venture - if so who are the principal partners? WHO will be getting the money? (i did click around but did not see it if it is there)

I noted that one of the "seminars" was "secrets of my top 10 small affiliates" - geeze, is this going to be yet another merchant telling what they ought to keep private?

Sad to see that Ebates will be a speaker - makes you not want to spend the money to listen to his garbage. I am just wondering who it was who decided that the likes of that piece of .... should represent affiliates?

Another thought was the timing of the suggestion from LS for a "private forum to know our names and this "expo" - things that make you want to go hmmm....

Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Easy with the broad stroking. FatWallet is legit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Wasn't making any accusations but was asking the question.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    I plan to sit this one out and READ the reactions of the folks who attend.

Seems like a good idea but question some of the people involved in this venture.

Mackin

ABW Ambassador
    How come we have to pay $80 to hear how to sell from our merchants? They could just do this on a free forum and make more productive affiliates.

Hi

I'm the Program Chair of eComXpo, and I'm delighted to be here to address your questions. Haiko pointed me to this thread, so here goes!

First, thanks for the feedback. Like most sites, the eComXpo site is a work-in-progress. We've already made the event dates clearer (some things are easier done than others).

We're working hard to make eComXpo a "big-tent" event, meant to be one place where everybody in the affiliate marketing world can come together, at one place, at one time. Completely online, completely virtual. No travel, no hassle, and completely flexible times. It is an event. It's not meant to replace communities like abestweb. I want to stress EVENT. By focusing energies on a particular short window of opportunity, great things happen. Events reinforce communities like abestweb.

Every great industry has an event that the majority of participants consider attending. Because of the unique nature of this industry, that event hasn't happened yet. Thus was born eComXpo. Like a traditional trade event, eComXpo is going to be part conference, part networking, part exhibition, and part fun.

Everybody's desire is to make this event suitable and attractive for the small and medium sized affiliate marketer. Folks who, for one reason or another, you don't see at CJU, or the Linkshare Symposium, or at Performics' summer bash, or on a cruise to Halifax. All great things, but all narrowly focused on a segment of our world.

The only way to do this, to bring everybody together, is online.

It's going to be 100+ presentations, 200+ exhibitors, and thousands of attendees. A partial (and growing daily) list is at www.eComXpo.com. On top of that, many exhibitors are planning private presentations "inside" their booth, aimed at their customers and affiliates.

Everybody is supposed to be everybody. Not just the Fatwallet's of the world, not just the Lands' End types. Not just one network, not just two. Everybody. Big affiliates, small affiliates. Big merchants, small merchants. Lots of smart people like Haiko, David Lewis, David Sifry (of Technorati), Shawn Collins, Declan Dunn, and Sandra Roussel. People you don't normally see in our space, like Gian Fulgoni of comScore or David Carlick, a founder of Doubleclick. Lawyers giving advice on how and when to incorporate. Accountants talking about the best set up for the small business person.

Sessions designed to help you understand where this world we live and work in is headed. Viewpoints of every spectrum. Real life experiences you can learn from (both good and bad). You get to choose which sessions you attend, and which you ignore. Each of the 100+ presentations will happen "live" at least once, and then be repeated a couple of times so that you can schedule accordingly.

If I've done my job right, there should be at least three or four sessions you just gotta attend, and at least a couple more you want to attend. In your jammies, of course.

As a matter of fact, we're still actively looking for more presenters and presentation suggestions. If you have a suggestion, or want to present yourself, please let me know. rob@ecomxpo.com is the right place to start.

As to who's responsible - all the bad ideas are mine, the good ideas belong to a great team of folks. That great team starts with our advisory council - their names are there on the site. They've been instrumental in helping to put together this event. Of course, it doesn't stop there. There are lots of folks whose names aren't anywhere to be seen yet who've been working awfully hard to make this one heck of an event.

Earlier this year, I was introduced to a company that was putting on virtual tradeshows, quite successfully. They'd held eight shows aimed at the food service business, over the course of four years, and now they were expanding.

Immediately, their principals and I hit it off. One of their principals and I shared a bunch of commonalities. We'd both helped build businesses, sold them off, and then had our spouses tell us we'd better get to work, no more hanging out on the couch. Mine had 160 people in it when it was sold a decade ago, his was bigger (and a dot com success story, to boot).

He helped to create a company that's doing virtual trade events. I helped to create iGive.com. He learned lots about doing business online. So have I.

We shared notes. In both of our former lives, there was always a trade show or conference that helped to define our markets, that helped to make our business grow, thrive, and eventually become worth something. We realized that, at least for us, real industries have real trade events.

We looked at affiliate marketing. There were sales events. There were events aimed solely at advertisers, like Ad-Tech. But there was nothing that could remotely be called a trade event for our entire industry.

We've set out to create one. Something affordable, broadly based, fun, and interesting. $49.95 to attend (early registration ends 11/15/04, I hope Haiko has a link on his site someplace. Once I figure out where, and how to put a URL into one of these posts, I'll edit this entry).

Long post, forgive me. We've been working on this since April, and we're really just seeing the light of day now.

Good luck to all.

Rob

And for those of us with Flash crashing our Common Client User Session, we have no idea what the site is about. Thank you Symantec.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

Hi

The choice of Flash for the site is not one I'm sure I'd make again. However, it is "supposed" to work for everybody.

Can you point to anything our tech guys can research to understand this problem you're having? Maybe there is something we can do from our side, short of rewriting the entire site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmarm:
    And for those of us with Flash crashing our Common Client User Session, we have no idea what the site is about. Thank you Symantec. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I get it. I uninstalled Norton AV because it just wouldn't work right on many, many sites. Ended up using McAfee on the desktop.

15 years and counting
    I'm seeing schoolpop and ebates as affiliates, not a good start.

Robert, you're with Igive, right?

I think ecomexpo is a good idea, just needs someone else to do it. Not sure the parcipitation from the software applications will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy about it.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a way for the software hijacker types to find out just who is who in the affiliate world...

I know I wont be handing my personal info and $50 bux to a software 'affiliate'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you point to anything our tech guys can research to understand this problem you're having? Maybe there is something we can do from our side, short of rewriting the entire site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, I'm not sure. I know that on some sites which are not totally Flash I can see the Flash stuff. Default I have ActiveX turned off, and when I login to my admin account to allow it, I get a Common Client User Session crash. That kills my ability to d/l my email and the Flash still won't load. I've not bothered to look into the differences between sites that work and sites that don't. Consider me a commoner on the web in that way. If a site won't load for me or give me a text link in to text pages/normal on-the-fly page, then I leave.

Certainly fascinates me when major decisions like making a site ALL in Flash are made and then possibly regretted on something aimed at so large an audience.

And yes, my NIS subscription runs out next month and I have to find other options. NIS just hoovers big time.

Hmmm, yes I hadn't thought of that aspect of the lineup and sponsorship; the ability to mine the data of who shows up. Nothing like having your online activity right under the nose of some of the biggest BHO applications in the business.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Grosshandler:
    Hi

Can you point to anything our tech guys can research to understand this problem you're having? Maybe there is something we can do from our side, short of rewriting the entire site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert,

I will give you a call this afternoon concerning this forum.

Warmest,

Sandra Roussel

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread