ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation mozy.com - Warning!!!
    I just thought I would post my disgust about a company called mozy.com. Last year I was traveling and I thought it would be a good idea to use them to back up a few files in case I lost my laptop on my travels and I could download the files. I backed up about 300mb of files.

I never had any problems when i travelled thankfully but recently my laptop broke down and I had most of my files backed up but there was a few I didn't have. I then remembered mozy.com and that I had used their free service to backup some files and I was sure that some of the files I wanted were on mozy.com.

So I thought great, I can login and download them. Well guess what, I tried to login and now my login details are not recognized and I had them written down so I know they are correct. Anyway I thought that should be easy to fix and I used the lost password feature. Nothing came through so I tried again and still no email. So I then decided to write to them and ask them to help me as my login details were no longer working. Guess what, yes they didn't bother to get back to me and totally ignored me. That was about 3 weeks ago so I hope if anyone here is considering about thinking of using this corrupt company then think again. Obviously they must delete your account if you use the free service after a few months. They could have at least let me know my account was going to be deleted but not answering my support request was even worse.

I have now just deactivated them from my affiliate account, I don't want to promote a company that is unethical. I have also contacted their affiliate manager so he has a chance to give us their side of the story....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Did you read the small print when you signed up for the free service? "If you lose your passwords or the encryption keys for your accounts, you may not be able to access your backup data." and.. "If you have a Free Account, Mozy may terminate your account and these Terms immediately and without notice if your computer fails to access the Services to perform a backup for more than thirty (30) days or you fail to comply with these Terms."

I hate small print. It always is to the seller's (not the buyer's) advantage.
    Last edited by leeann; February 19th, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    well i never lost my password but I guess if there is 30 days to login then they can do what they want. Still, I hope anyone that was thinking of using them will be careful about this small print to catch people out like me. Makes you wonder what they do with our files too? It would not of hurt them to send out a warning email or to respond to my support ticket just to let me know or even give me an option to pay to retrieve my data.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted View Post
    well i never lost my password but I guess if there is 30 days to login then they can do what they want. Still, I hope anyone that was thinking of using them will be careful about this small print to catch people out like me. Makes you wonder what they do with our files too? It would not of hurt them to send out a warning email or to respond to my support ticket just to let me know or even give me an option to pay to retrieve my data.
    Really! They just burned a potential customer in my opinion. I mean how do they know you weren't about to sign up? Maybe they need to spend less money on advertising and hire somebody to answer the phone (or email in this case).
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Really! They just burned a potential customer in my opinion. I mean how do they know you weren't about to sign up? Maybe they need to spend less money on advertising and hire somebody to answer the phone (or email in this case).
    One important thing too is that I had recommended Mozy to a number of people before this and if I had managed to get my files back it would have given me more incentive to tell more people. Proof of that is on this post even though I spelt Mozy wrong Multimedia Production Forums - View topic - File sharing sites?

Have you heard of Dropbox.com?

I've been using the free 2 gig account at Dropbox.com for about 6-8 months now and it works flawlessly.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Doesn't seem like they're capitalizing on free accounts by trying to turn them into paying customers. You'd think a free account would incentivize them to sending out a follow-up email telling you about the benifits of paid service and what you stand to lose if you don't upgrade.

It seems as if the're not utilizing free account service to their full potential but I'm stating the obvious.

In fairness to Mozy: you get what you pay for. If you were so concerned about backing up your files (and you damned well should be), you should have PAID for the service. Don't expect to get something for nothing.

That said, I WAS a mozy customer for two years. I used the service twice in those two years to restore my files to new computers. A freaking nightmare! I openly admit, I am NOT a super techy person, but this company's documentation was a mess. Steps were missing, incorrect directions, inadequate information.

Customer service is limited to email and online chat. From India. They tried hard, but were really not able to overcome the problems with the service.

I assumed that I, the user, was the problem the FIRST time it took me days of frustration to get this resolved. After the second time, I saw the light and purchased a portable hardrive for this purpose. And use dropbox for many files, too.

Sorry - that crappy documentation and the lack of telephone technical assistance equals a service that I would not recommend to my friend OR competitor.
    Jeanette
    [URL="http://gringodog.com"]Gringo Dog - Pet Friendly Travel[/URL] in Mexico, Canada and the USA

Great point, Bibby.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thumbs up Dropbox saved my files
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Have you heard of Dropbox.com?
    I've been using the free 2 gig account at Dropbox.com for about 6-8 months now and it works flawlessly.
    Gary
    +1 for Dropbox

I have been using a free Dropbox account for approximately 12 months. After I update a web site, I always upload the new files to Dropbox, immediately.

My PC was destroyed by lightning, last October. I had backups on CD-RW media, but, the latest versions of the web sites were not on the CD-RW media.

I downloaded the files from Dropbox and deeply appreciate their free service.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    +1 for Dropbox
    I downloaded the files from Dropbox and deeply appreciate their free service.
    that what I thought Mozy was offering, i figured that you pay for when you need more space since I only had a few hundred meg.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread