Unread posts
    When I click on the 'xx UNREAD POSTS' in top horizntal bar, I am seeing only first 32 of posts. There is no link to go to next page to see 32 - 64. Any suggestions?

What you're probably seeing is the difference between posts and threads. The "[x] Unread Posts" shows the total number of posts, but when you click through it shows a list of threads that have new posts in them. Some threads (usually many of them) have mulitple new posts, so you'll see fewer threads than the number of new posts.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sorry, I should have wrote *first 32 threads*. Any way now I can see links to other pages on threads.

Quote Originally Posted by radhika View Post
    Sorry, I should have wrote *first 32 threads*. Any way now I can see links to other pages on threads.

It sounds like you are testing the water over here. I too had the same feeling when i saw 302 unread posts and the window came with only 50 posts. It is now more clear when admin explained your query.

I asked the same or a very similar question months ago and never received an answer/explanation as to how I might "drill down into" my list# of "UNREAD POSTS".

When I failed to receive an answer I stopped coming back and now it's been many months, after which time I once again - and for the last time - am asking "Is it possible to display a list of "all unread posts"" and, if so, how do I do that?

I've checked the FAQs. I've used ABW's site search function. Neither brought me to the answers to the questions, so I'd appreciate any assistance.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    BeepBeep sorry your question didn't get answered and you felt the need to leave. My guess is you are referring to this: Once, when I saw "280 unread" I would be able to view all 280. Now I see 280 unread but I'm only able to view ~40-50.

I am going to bump this over to Matt@iNet as he is the vBulletin expert.

It has always been the way Michael described... There is no "view new posts" or "view new threads" function on vbulletin which shows results by post - it always shows the threads which contain the new posts. You would need to get a list of results by post rather than by thread, in order for the query to return an equal number of entries as are listed in the unread posts header.

However, if you read each thread when you click unread posts, you will effectively view all unread posts - some of those threads will have more than 1 post inside that you haven't read, and effectively, those sorts of posts will add up to equal the number of unread posts listed in the header.

I hope this makes sense or helps clarify, it feels kind of complicated to explain in an easily understandable way.

If you know of a forum that you think does it better, link me and I'll decipher how they're doing it, and if we can do it better.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

I've experance the same, I think I've figured it out. View unread posts now limits the posts to the current day only. But there is a link at the top to view it Weekly. That will give you many more pages of posts.

IMO, the whole unread thing is fubar. I don't believe that there 100 multiple posts in topics in an hour that aren't showing for me. I still think the software is including ALL posts in the total number, not just the ones I'm entitled to see, as it should be.

Also, there is no timestamp established for the user visiting the unread page. So when I "Mark all as read" I lose all the posts in between the page loading and clicking the link. A ton of people (like me) go to the unread page, hold down the control key, and click on the ones they want to read. Then go through them in the other tabs, then mark them as read. If you were reading for 30 minutes, you've lost 30 minutes of unread posts. Free out of the box software does that correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    IMO, the whole unread thing is fubar. I don't believe that there 100 multiple posts in topics in an hour that aren't showing for me. I still think the software is including ALL posts in the total number, not just the ones I'm entitled to see, as it should be.

Also, there is no timestamp established for the user visiting the unread page. So when I "Mark all as read" I lose all the posts in between the page loading and clicking the link. A ton of people (like me) go to the unread page, hold down the control key, and click on the ones they want to read. Then go through them in the other tabs, then mark them as read. If you were reading for 30 minutes, you've lost 30 minutes of unread posts. Free out of the box software does that correctly.
    When you click unread posts, you get this search (getdaily):
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily

When you are viewing those results, at the top you can click new to get this search (getnew):
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

When you are viewing those results, at the top you can click daily to get the daily results again (getdaily):
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily

At the top, there are also additional options for how you prefer to find or browse active topics.

The unread posts meter is not perfect, it is a legacy plugin, and is not custom code iNet developed for ABW - I typically consider it an approximate indicator of how many unread posts there have been since my last visit. I don't know that it is aware of or follows usergroup permissions properly - it is not a feature other forums offer, and to my knowledge, it isn't maintained any longer by its original author.

Just attempting to clarify what I can.

If you do PHP, this may make some sense to you, as it is the code that makes the unread posts feature work:

Code:
    if ($vbulletin->userinfo['userid'])
    {
    	$postcount = $vbulletin->db->query_first_slave("SELECT count(*) as unread FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post WHERE dateline > '" . $vbulletin->userinfo['lastvisit'] . "'");

if ($vbulletin->options['duppost'] == 1)
    	{
    		$vbphrase['dup_posts'] = $vbphrase['dup_posts_visit'];
    		$vbphrase['dup_no_posts'] = $vbphrase['dup_no_posts_visit'];
    	}

if ($limit)
    	{
    		$postcount['unread'] = 0;
    		$vbphrase['dup_no_posts'] = $vbphrase['dup_unread_posts'];
    	}

if ($postcount['unread'] == 0)
    	{
    		$unread = construct_phrase($vbphrase['dup_no_posts'],$vbulletin->options['duppath']); 
    	}
    	else
    	{
    		if ($postcount['unread'] == 1)
    		{
    			$unread = construct_phrase($vbphrase['dup_posts'],vb_number_format($postcount['unread']),$vbphrase['dup_single_post'],$vbulletin->options['duppath']); 
    		}
    		else
    		{
    			$unread = construct_phrase($vbphrase['dup_posts'],vb_number_format($postcount['unread']),$vbphrase['dup_plural_post'],$vbulletin->options['duppath']);  
    		}		
    	}		

}
    else
    {
    	$time_yesterday = time() - 86400;
    	$postcount = $vbulletin->db->query_first_slave("SELECT count(*) as unread FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post WHERE dateline > " . $time_yesterday);

if ($postcount['unread'] == 1)
    	{
    		$unread = construct_phrase($vbphrase['dup_daily_posts'],vb_number_format($postcount['unread']),$vbphrase['dup_single_post'],$vbulletin->options['duppath']); 
    	}
    	else
    	{
    		$unread = construct_phrase($vbphrase['dup_daily_posts'],vb_number_format($postcount['unread']),$vbphrase['dup_plural_post'],$vbulletin->options['duppath']);  
    	}		

}
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; February 13th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread