ABW Ambassador
    Hi all. I dont seem to be here very often these days, except when I need advice, sorry.

I have an ADSL box that allows up to 5 PCs to be plugged in to access the internet. I am really fed up of 25 metre cables when I want to work in the garden on my laptop and wondered if anyone has any advice on switching over to a wireless network.

I have no idea how these things work, so any URLs of good, informative sites would be appreciated.

Bump

Anyone out there to help us?

ABW Ambassador
    You want a wireless router, netgear, dlink, linksys, they are all good. And then as many cards as you want, I would buy the same brand as the router.

You want ones marked G or the new Double 108 Mbps. Just make sure the cards and router are the same.

If you want a firewall grab one with a firewall, most have that now.

When you get it home - unplug your wireless phone. You can plug it back in later, but it might interfere and unplugging it will remove it from the equation at least. If it does interfere, you want to change someones channel, but that is getting ahead of the game.

The other thing - RENAME Your router and add at least a simple pass phrase, most docs are really clear and will point this out as well. It is very easy to connect to somoene else's network or them to yours, but a simple password ends that.

It really is simple to setup and the documentation from those three vendors is really easy to follow. I would wait and look for sales. netgear just had a 1/2 price rebate sale.

Chet

Thanks Chet,

Now, I don't want to seem realy dumb ...

But, I have a dell laptop plus a desktop.

Where do I put the cards? Or will the documentation tell me? Or, are there special cards or adaptors for the laptop.

Thank you for helping!

ABW Ambassador
    You can get usb "cards" so you don't even need to unscrew the case, but for the desktop i would go with an internal card, for your laptop they will have the same offer - usb or using one of your slots - if you don't have one built-in.

Some dells have them builtin and my power book had it built in.

Once you choose, the documentation will help. I have used netgear and linksys, both come with big poster style install instructions, very clear, very simple.

Chet

There should be a thin slot (CardBus?) on the side of the laptop and the card just plugs in there. If the laptop doesn't have a slot, then it might be time to get a new laptop
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread