Linkshare - when are overdue payments collected
    I was reviewing payment reports, and see that I'm still owed approx 40% of commissions from November 2010.

According to the interface, "A payment becomes overdue 35 days after the end of the month".

I have submitted tickets about this issue, and continue to be told the network will pay when merchants pay.. I understand that, but who is following up on overdue invoices?

Is LS following up with these merchants?

Try writing or calling the affiliate manager for the program. I found in one case the merchant had already sent in their check but LS hadn't deposited it. It became a "they said, we said" issue, but it finally was straightened out. Also try calling LS directly, I had better results with that. Ask for a followup email. Although the first time, I received no email and had to call again.

I have no idea why merchants don't use direct deposit (I think I read somewhere that LS doesn't encourage this), but that's another issue.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    teezone: We have a collections team that follows up with Advertisers to collect on overdue payments. I am not sure exactly why you have so many Advertisers overdue.

JoyUnltd: I actually posted that we prefer direct deposit instead of check. It was in my post here.

--Ranae
    Last edited by LinkShare Moderator; February 24th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.

Ranae,
    Thank you for updating my outdated info! I will certainly recommend this to merchants who are still doing snail mail.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

LS has done super, with December and January payments from Advertiser
    My #1 advertiser pays LS like a clock, by check. I thought they had switched to paying electronically, however, the AM told me that was *NOT* the case for their payment to LS for December 2010. I'm not sure if they paid by check or electronically, for January 2011. Dates are below. Previous months, there were delays, after LS received (and deposited) their checks, before payments were shown as received, in the LS Publisher interface. So, for December and January, LS has done super in this regard. :-)

For December 2010 - Payment shown received 01/13/2011
    For January 2011 - Payment shown received 02/08/2011
    Direct Deposits to me were initiated by LS on 2011-01-13 and on 2011-02-11

I have no problem with LS payment schedule once a merchant has paid them - agreed it's very fast, and there is no hold or wait period.

My problem here is merchants not paying invoices in a timely manner. One merchant authorized a payment on Dec 10th, and yet it's still outstanding. I have contacted key merchants in the past, but in some cases the only contact email I have is affiliate manager @ Linkshare.com.

A friend of mine is a bricks & mortar wholesaler - he mentioned a number of his customers now waiting 90 days to pay invoices. It's a growing problem for (offline) small businesses, and I'm beginning to think the same is happening online.
    Last edited by teezone; February 24th, 2011 at 09:21 PM.

I do have problems with Linkshare getting me a timely payment after they've been paid. For four of the last five months they have been overdue with their payments to me (only January was on time). The latest is that my two big merchants paid Linkshare, but Linkshare wouldn't release the payment to me because they were waiting for one more payment from a completely different merchant (a minor one). I asked them to please issue payment for my bigger merchants and Linkshare responded that they had already processed payments for this week and I'll have to wait at least another entire week. It's really getting frustrating. CJ pays me on time or early (mostly early) every single month. Yet for the last six months it has been nothing but one problem or another with Linkshare accompanied by excuses as to why my payments are being delayed.

To the Linkshare moderator - If you wish to read my correspondence with Linkshare regarding this, my incident number is 110308-000172

Any help you can provide in moving my payment along would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by jtracy; March 10th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Ranae - you are a LinkShare magician. Thanks. One thing I do like about Linkshare is the people like you who take the time to help us get situations resolved.

OK, I decided to put my 2 cents in this thread too and share my experience.

Overdue Invoices from merchants have from the beginning been the reason why I didn't expand with Linkshare. Unlike other networks, I never know when I will get next payment from Linkshare. There may be 1, 2 or 3 months delay and I find it frustrating to waste my time on hunting my commissions.
    No, there is no problem with Linkshare sending me payment, it is always fast and timely. The issue is that merchants don't pay and Linkshare seems to tolerate it.

Last autumn I decided to give it a try and started promoting 2 more advertisers there. That was a mistake. Recently I removed all those links, because I don't accept the idea of spending my time on communications with merchant and Linkshare about eternal "where is my money" and getting paid in half a year after the commissions was earned or perhaps even later.

One of those merchants hasn't paid for October yet. It took weeks to get any reply from the merchant. They blaimed Linkshare in billing issues and called it the reason for the delay. The ticket (Incident:110210-000086 that got transformed into 110222-000127 and then110309-000088 if Linkshare moderator wants to look in it) with Linkshare about the problem has been open for 5 weeks already. Linkshare does reply fast, but simply nothing happens. Firstly, from their response it looked to me as they were surprised that the merchant hadn't paid (in spite of previous assurance that they monitor overdue Invoices), they promised it would take 2 weeks at most before the payment is released. 2 weeks are over and Linkshare is now "checking on the status", as no payment from the advertiser was made.

Luckily the merchants I was interested in are also in CJ where affiliates get paid like a clock. If a merchant I would like to promote is present in any other big network but Linkshare, I will choose the former, because none of them has this kind of payments issues.

It looks like I can take some small comfort from knowing I'm not alone in having to wait around for commission payments. Should have checked this thread before!

My problems don't seem to be as bad as some, with payments from my only major merchant being 3-4 weeks late each month since last September. I'm making a big chunk of my income from this one merchant. I know its not sensible to have all my eggs in one basket, but it just so happens that I have the traffic that is making them over $10k a month in sales, so it would be foolish not to use it.

They're a pretty big company (tempted to name and shame here), so it'd be nice to be paid on time. I emailed their affiliate manager back on March 14 but still have not had a reply. Mmmm.

LS are really good at getting straight back to me when I bring up this issue [Incident: 110324-000069], but it looks like they're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Do they:

1. Wave a bigger stick at the merchant to get them to pay on time and risk losing the merchant and their money?

2. Put up and shut up and leave the affiliate hanging on?

It'd be nice if LS had more confidence to push the merchants that don't pay on time. Maybe they're afraid if they push too hard, the errant merchants will switch allegiance to CJ?
    Last edited by honestway; March 28th, 2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by honestway View Post
    Do they:

1. Wave a bigger stick at the merchant to get them to pay on time and risk losing the merchant and their money?

2. Put up and shut up and leave the affiliate hanging on?

It'd be nice if LS had more confidence to push the merchants that don't pay on time. Maybe they're afraid if they push too hard, the errant merchants will switch allegiance to CJ?
    Now that you mention it, I don't remember ever having an LS merchant suspended or off-line for any period of time even though I know that some take an inordinately long time to pay commissions.

I don't get the impression that affiliate commissions are something that they're willing to lose a merchant over. However, I've always been paid...eventually.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; March 28th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread