Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    People Dropping Out of Affiliate Marketing?
    Seems like fewer people are pursuing affiliate marketing on a full time basis. True? I have a nice affiliate site, but traffic to it is marginal and PPC is not an option. So it sits. Otherwise, I have content-type sites making money off of ads but that is all to dependent on one big player. So many sites to compete with! Now I am trying a combo service-affiliate type site that has good potential but will be a bit more like a business than a typical aff. mktg site. For sure, value-added seems not to be a nice option but a necessity now.

And note, I am not launching another "Aff Mktg is Dead" thread. I truly believe it is still a great tool for both merchant and marketer. The big problem, however, is traffic that is harder and harder to get.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; February 26th, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It does seem to get harder every year, but I always figure that I was just doing everything wrong :-)
    Two years ago I thought I'd be living off of affiliate marketing without a problem, but noticed traffic dropping more and more due to search engine changes. I guess it is time to re-evaluate and see what works now.
    With any duplicate content causing ranking to drop in serps that almost excludes datafeeds unless you rewrite the descriptions. I'm curious how those who don't have authority sites have managed to adapt ...perhaps article marketing?
    I've been focusing my efforts on my artwork and started teaching English classes again (two days a week).

3. Thanks From:

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think a lot of folks are back on a job, at least part time. In the "old days" of this forum (2003-2005) , people would spend all day here chatting, taking breaks from creating pages, managing feeds, and collecting & cashing commission checks. It was a full time job for many.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

5. Thanks From:

A lot of the "full-timers" who were here a lot in those days - at least most of the ones who survived the Florida Update - are still around and doing fine. Just not "here".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Well part of it comes from people like me who didn't have a credit card and could talk my parents into buying a domain name or hosting so I could show off my HTML skills. Old time affiliates have to make room for new generations just like any other business. That's why it's getting more competitive. Not to mention the number of people needing to supplement their income because of the economy. Relax guys. It's the natural order of things not an anomoly.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]Marie Sanders[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [URL="http://mariesandersonline.com"]htttp://www.mariesandersonline.com[/URL]

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I think a lot of folks are back on a job, at least part time. In the "old days" of this forum (2003-2005) , people would spend all day here chatting, taking breaks from creating pages, managing feeds, and collecting & cashing commission checks. It was a full time job for many.
    You hit it on the head for me ......

Used to make a solid 5 figures and sit around in my underpants all day working on my sites with very few worries --

Now, until the economy gets better, I'm out doing things with my brick and mortar biz that I haven't HAD to do in years.

Still make a good living w/ my sites, but there are no extras if I don't plop out there and do what I can to make some extra cash.

Time to hunker down, do the best we can and wait out this economy disaster.

For those just starting up, you will have to work twice as hard as I did back in the early 2000's to be successful.

Now it REALLY is a J O B to compete in the internet marketplace.

My Thoughts .....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    A lot of the "full-timers" who were here a lot in those days - at least most of the ones who survived the Florida Update - are still around and doing fine. Just not "here".
    A few of the folks that I have known for a few years are doing a lot better than "fine." While true that they may not be "here," Jill and I get to see them at conferences (and other places).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Well, seems to me like the old stat about 1 in 10 business start-ups are successful, but only the number is probably closer to 1 in 100 in online marketing.

There are some people who have had great success online. I think most of these people had great ideas and great execution that took off and could stand on their own without major threats from changing SERPs and such.

For the rest of us, we try our best (sometimes), but haven't had the critical mass that allows us to get beyond the threatening area where we are dependent on search engine traffic that can come and go.

This is why I have always tried to create something that has its own value and could possibly go viral. I used to try to chase the search engines, but after a few slap and algo changes, I realized it was going to be a never ending game.

Build for the user, not the search engine.

I also now realize that the niche makes a huge difference. Both in user interest, click through rate, buying mood, etc... Some things I thought were failproof went up in flames (or actually never caught fire) because some things just don't work online.

Don't give up. Keep learning and trying new things. You never know when you will stumble on something that could change your life.
    Last edited by OICUAM2; February 27th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    While true that they may not be "here," Jill and I get to see them at conferences (and other places).
    I think with the many conferences and events going on these days the affiliate marketing communities are growing tighter personal relationships and are then migrating from these types of forums to more filtered medium like Twitter & FB.

I'm definitely holding on to my day job. Luckily I don't have to leave home to do it. I've had to put the affiliate side of my "portfolio" on the back burner though and rethink time/money equations. Two years ago it was great. The future looks questionable for my type of aff. Marketing. I doubt I'll ever totally pull out, but I need to find new strategies.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I have also noticed a shift, but I've also noticed that the folks getting into affiliate marketing don't seem to be as "chatty" as our old friends on ABW. Perhaps, as things become more competitive, people are less willing to share success tips?

I'm not sure. ABW has definitely changed since when I first joined (I can't even remember when that was because I was part of the group that got 'reset' to 2005), then again... if things DON'T change in almost 10 years... then something's probably wrong with that too.

Paul

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One thing that has disappointed me as an OPM is the low numbers of affiliates who actually ask what is working. It seems that many affiliates are focused on what interests them. That is, whether its their marketing model or the merchants they choose to work with. If I chose to promote dog beds and had several sites focused on that then I would be asking all related merchants what are the best sellers. I would also be asking them what kind of sites are selling best. You would think as an AM/OPM we would spend half our time answering emails from inquiring affiliates. That is a small part of our time spent.

It seems that the successful affiliates are involved, try new things and attend conferences. They ask questions and network their asses off. If you contact an AM who doesn't respond back move on until you find one that does. Then pick their brain and find what is working in the program and why. Otherwise Affiliate Marketing is Darwinism!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    ... if things DON'T change in almost 10 years... then something's probably wrong with that too.
    So true.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

successful affiliates are involved, try new things and attend conferences. They ask questions and network their asses off
    I'm only in partial agreement...

As a full-time affiliate, I don't network or get involved (beyond ABW)... but I do try new things ALL the time. Some of them work, some don't, but I can still be surprised by what sticks. Do I keep those results to myself? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to help other affiliates with the big picture.

And I don't ask merchants many questions about their products as I'm already measuring what my readers like/dislike (using in-depth analytics).

Affiliate marketing is just like any small business (perhaps a more obsessive one!) - players come and go, technology changes, new ideas succeed, new ideas fail. It has also been a tough couple of years for the economy - I've had friends lose jobs, so it makes me take my work more seriously.. maybe that's why some of the banter has abated.

I fell like there are too many road blocks especially for new comers. There is so much hype and pipe dream influence out there that people see this as something they can just jump into and make a killing just sitting home. I used to have so many things that I was interested in pursuing and I was told, by my father, "if it was all so easy then everyone would do it...".
    I would like to point out that I only agree with that statement in part.
    First of all if everyone thought like him then there would be no "pioneers" in an any facet. People would all be too scared to try new things and take some risks to test things out.

However on the flip side, just because you hear of people being so successful in a certain field of intereset does NOT mean that anyone can have the same results. Like most things in life or work, it's not for everyone.

I've gotten into this field to try and gain some extra cash, just like most, I never had this vision of being an overnite millionaire or some pipe dream like that. Does it happen for some...probably, but that's not my intention. I am a working man that stays working so that I always have income and can support my family. This winter has been rediculous with the overtime with all the snow so the AM had to take a back seat. The best part is that I was able to walk away for the last few months and not feel like I just cut off my milk money.
    I feel like the problem is that when people enter this arena they have this vision of making the "milk money" full time and never have it dry up. You have to be willing to bounce around and do what you have to do.
    So in all this ranting do I feel like AM is dropping off...yes. I think that the ones that come with the wrong intentions fall off real fast and those of us who think realistically will be here to stay no matter what the industry or economic times throw at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    One thing that has disappointed me as an OPM is the low numbers of affiliates who actually ask what is working. It seems that many affiliates are focused on what interests them. That is, whether its their marketing model or the merchants they choose to work with. If I chose to promote dog beds and had several sites focused on that then I would be asking all related merchants what are the best sellers. I would also be asking them what kind of sites are selling best. You would think as an AM/OPM we would spend half our time answering emails from inquiring affiliates. That is a small part of our time spent.

It seems that the successful affiliates are involved, try new things and attend conferences. They ask questions and network their asses off. If you contact an AM who doesn't respond back move on until you find one that does. Then pick their brain and find what is working in the program and why. Otherwise Affiliate Marketing is Darwinism!
    I have wanted to ask questions like these but have been held back for some reason. I'm not sure why, but could be out of fear it would seem like I was asking for privileged information. Probably need to get bolder.

Many of the techniques and tactics that worked 5 or 10 years ago don't work any more. You have to learn, adapt and change to continue to succeed. You have to continue to find new ways to provide value and stay ahead of the curve.

Affiliate marketing as a whole, however, is still growing. E-commerce sales grew 15% in 2010.

Some affiliates may be declining, but others are growing and seeing new successes. Many newbies are entering the field. I don't know whether they're seeing more or less success than seasoned veterans, but I have to suspect that the advantage of experience helps a lot.

We just have to keep innovating.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    I have wanted to ask questions like these but have been held back for some reason. I'm not sure why, but could be out of fear it would seem like I was asking for privileged information. Probably need to get bolder.
    Here's what I think, backed by my own experience. For each affiliate program, you have a very small number of affiliates making most of the money.
    1- if you're a successful affiliate would you like your AM to tell everybody what's working?
    2- if you're just starting, the AM is going to tell you what you should do, which products to push, what method to use... He's going to have the same language to thousand of new affiliates. What's your chances of making it?

I don't think it's the role of an AM to discuss such subjects.
    Some products will do well on particular websites and awful on others. Same for the marketing strategy. Best selling lists, epc... could be really misleading.
    You have to learn on your own, what's work, what doesn't work and keep it for yourself.
    A few years ago, on this board, I saw affiliates telling others what was working for them, a few days later, they were not making anything. Guess why?

ABW Ambassador
    "You have to learn on your own, what's work, what doesn't work."
    Sharing that info MAY just create competition and there is enough of that already.

I do ask for the best selling list sometimes and there are those managers that keep sending me theirs. I look at them with a grain of salt and rely mostly on my judgment as to what I ultimately focus on. I suspect that sometimes the lists are not so reliable and sometimes products are pushed that need a little push. Not to say all managers do this.

Back to the OP comment. People dropping out of affiliate marketing? It may be that many have moved on from AM but I bet the ones making money are too busy to hang around the forums. There are more people coming into it as well, and like anything else, there is also a fallout ratio. Perhaps that fallout is proportional to the number signing on so in reality it may not be much.

15 years and counting
    Most of the time, best selling lists are pretty accurate. What we need to find is the product that will be a best seller, tomorrow and secure our search position around this product.
    If a product is already a best seller, it could be a tough sell for a new affiliate (or even a seasoned affiliate). It can take years to rank well. (I'm not talking PPC, it's a different game)
    I've been wasting my time trying to sell new high epc items and my competition has never been able to beat me for my best selling items.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Now I am trying a combo service-affiliate type site that has good potential but will be a bit more like a business than a typical aff. mktg site.
    I think that is an excellent example of how to re-invent yourself. Nothing wrong with that. There are many who have moved on from being just an affiliate to ones that provide a service, resource, product, etc. to affiliates. Look at those publishers that have moved on to become affiliate managers, providing coupon services, providing education, become motivational speakers, become writers, created affiliate related software, started networks, etc.

The audience that publishers used to sell to 5-10 years ago have now themselves become so tech savvy and have even turned into publishers themselves with the ease of blogging and what not software. The market may saturated with sites trying to sell the same thing and publishing the same datafeed. So the next logical cycle would be to come up with products and services to market to these publishers. As an affiliate, you have the experience and expertise that a newbie does not have and perhaps you could "help solve" their problem or make things easier for them with your product/service. I am not saying to just go out there and sell an e-book. It is like anything else, you need to find your niche, be passionate, sincere and make it a bit better than the next best thing that is already out there.

I fell like there are too many road blocks
    The only roadblocks I see are my own lack of programming skills. Yes, things aren't as easy as they used to be, for newcomers or for old hands, but the doors are still wide open and the sky is the limit.
    Last edited by davidh; February 28th, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The whole e-commerce market has changed drastically over ten years. Back then E-bay,Amazon and even Google was just starting out. Many of the big stores didn't have a web presence. What they did is start off with an affiliate program and yes some did make good money. Now these same merchants have become Branded sites and people go direct to their sites. The only time you might generate a sale from one of the above is if a visitor happens to be on your site and decides to click a link,otherwise they go direct. Google started out at CJ paying us 2cents a click. Affiliate marketing and Affiliates has been a major factor in the success of many of the Big Players
    Today this is why many companies turn to affiliate marketing to not only capture sales, but mainly get their name out there. We affiliates get them this exposure and this in most cases does not result in a sale for us. Where else can you get all this exposure Free?
    What really annoys me is Merchants who try and beat affilates out off their due commissions.

Affiliate marketing is like any other business. You need to work hard, be determined and keep on learning. Being online does not necessarily make it easier to succeed. The same business principles and variables apply to both offline and online businesses. It's only the medium which is different. Affiliate marketing is a great business model and the real money is made when you reinvest your earnings.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast