Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Can browser I use actually knock out my DSL?
    Question for today for those Internet gurus out there: Can the Internet browser I choose to use actually knock down my DSL connection??

    I've been using Google's Chrome browser as my browser of choice for the last few months. It's lean, mean, and has everything now set up the way I prefer a browser to be.

    For reasons completely unknown to me and about a half-dozen hardworking ATT techs, my DSL modem/router started randomly dropping the DSL/Internet connection last week. Never for very long, the red lights would blink and I would lose my DSL/Internet. This never lasts longer than 15-30 seconds. And it never happens with any predictable pattern or frequency.

    Some days, it'll happen once or twice in the morning, then never again. Sometimes it'll be in the evening. Sometimes, it'll happen 6-8-10 times a day randomly throughout the day.

    It only happens, as far as I've noticed walking back and forth past the modem/router, when I'm online.

    I always access the Internet via wireless -- and it's happened using the built-in wireless on three different laptop computers, not just one.

    But I realized two days ago that it's only happened when I've been using Chrome, never on the few occasions when I've spent time using IE8 or Firefox.

    SO -- early Saturday morning (it's Sunday morning now), I moved all my bookmarks, etc., from Chrome back to Firefox 3.6 and have been using only Firefox when I'm online since then. (My wife always uses IE8; the problem has never happened when she's been the only one online.)

    I haven't had the DSL/Internet connection blink off even once as far as I can tell.

    Odd, no?

    Oh, yeah -- I've spent at least 6-8 hours scattered over the last week letting 5 or 6 ATT tech people jump me through hoops testing everything. They finally decided I needed a visit from one of their line techs. He came to my house, checked everything he could check, and only found one possibility. He said their 2wire modem/routers could be quirky and intermittently drop the signal if they were not plugged into a grounded (three-pronged) electrical outlet. I moved the modem location to make sure it was grounded.

    Two hours after the line tech left, my DSL/Internet connection glitched again.

    But since I've switched back to Firefox from Chrome -- no problems.

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  2. #2
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Your post is REALLY interesting to me.

    I used Chrome for quite some time as my daily browser - some time in October last year I started having router problems. Like you, ONLY in Chrome. My router actually ended up dying on me.

    I replaced it and stopped using Chrome (in fact I now no longer bother developing for Chrome, either - it is BELOW IE as my choice of worst browsers). With the new router I started using Opera for websites I visit regularly in a day. FF is open on my other monitor for development, etc.

    My conclusion - MY router was old and on it's last legs. Chrome and that router didn't like playing together. All the other browsers and my router had no problems. I'm not sure, but I believe because it is such a poor browser that something doesn't work right with some routers. My new router and Chrome play well with one another now, but I still have no desire to use Chrome with any regularity.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador 2busy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Tropical Mountaintop
    Posts
    5,636
    But I realized two days ago that it's only happened when I've been using Chrome
    You are trying to view sites that Google has decided you don't need to see. Wait til they find out you reported it.

  4. #4
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    For reasons completely unknown to me and about a half-dozen hardworking ATT techs, my DSL modem/router started randomly dropping the DSL/Internet connection last week. Never for very long, the red lights would blink and I would lose my DSL/Internet. This never lasts longer than 15-30 seconds. And it never happens with any predictable pattern or frequency.

    Some days, it'll happen once or twice in the morning, then never again. Sometimes it'll be in the evening. Sometimes, it'll happen 6-8-10 times a day randomly throughout the day.

    Oh, yeah -- I've spent at least 6-8 hours scattered over the last week letting 5 or 6 ATT tech people jump me through hoops testing everything. They finally decided I needed a visit from one of their line techs. He came to my house, checked everything he could check, and only found one possibility. He said their 2wire modem/routers could be quirky and intermittently drop the signal if they were not plugged into a grounded (three-pronged) electrical outlet. I moved the modem location to make sure it was grounded.

    Two hours after the line tech left, my DSL/Internet connection glitched again.

    But since I've switched back to Firefox from Chrome -- no problems.

    Gary
    Do you have a DSL Splitter in, or near the NID, or filters at each telephone device?

    The other day I was reading something about lousy DSL Speed, and I learned something new that I may try soon, because once in a while I also get DSL/Internet connection down unexpectedly...

    You can watch this video: Double Your DSL Speed and read more about it here: DSL Wiring Advice

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    You are trying to view sites that Google has decided you don't need to see. Wait til they find out you reported it.
    Uh, can you spell C-O-N-S-P-I-R-A-C-Y T-H-E-O-R-Y??

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Your post is REALLY interesting to me.

    I used Chrome for quite some time as my daily browser - some time in October last year I started having router problems. Like you, ONLY in Chrome. My router actually ended up dying on me.

    I replaced it and stopped using Chrome (in fact I now no longer bother developing for Chrome, either - it is BELOW IE as my choice of worst browsers). With the new router I started using Opera for websites I visit regularly in a day. FF is open on my other monitor for development, etc.

    My conclusion - MY router was old and on it's last legs. Chrome and that router didn't like playing together. All the other browsers and my router had no problems. I'm not sure, but I believe because it is such a poor browser that something doesn't work right with some routers. My new router and Chrome play well with one another now, but I still have no desire to use Chrome with any regularity.
    I forgot to mention, that I installed a new 2wire modem/router that ATT gave me, because on of their first best-guesses was that my modem/router was dying.

    The problem persisted, and the line technician who came to my house gave me a new modem/router in a box when he left, "Just in case the problem is that new router you got and installed four days ago."

    After he left and the system hiccuped again, I replaced the 4-day-old modem/router with the one he left. By the next morning, it glitched again with the NEW new modem/router.

    That's when I abandoned Chrome, returned to Firefox -- and I've had no problems since. Well, so far anyway.

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  7. #7
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Then it IS Chrome's fault

    My cable modem has yet to have a problem - even Chrome isn't able to hurt it
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    ... My cable modem has yet to have a problem - even Chrome isn't able to hurt it
    Don't even get me started on cable broadband. Grrrrr ...

    Our idiot city fathers here in Springfield have given sort of a "divine rights" monopoly to a cable company. (I won't mention their company name, but it rhymes with "Mental-midgets-comm." (OK, not exactly. It's Mediacomm.)

    I have yet to hear ANYTHING good about their broadband service, and I've heard from friends and from online forums both VOLUMES about their unreliability.

    Hence, my only choices for Internet access are dialup, ATT DSL (they have the DSL monopoly for Missouir), Mediacomm cable broadband or satellite Internet.

    Hence, the ATT DSL ...

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Affiliate Manager affilorama's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2008
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    549
    I know IE also causes problems and makes your Windows system vulnerable to hijacking: Researchers confirm Googler's Internet Explorer bug
    Last edited by affilorama; February 28th, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

  11. #11
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    You are trying to view sites that Google has decided you don't need to see. Wait til they find out you reported it.
    Wait til they catch you. You thought @bay played rough. Will offer to taxi you home but instead send you to
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...oeeQwAo8YLBhLw
    Last edited by Cheesehead; February 28th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Listen up, people.

    I've appreciated the replies, especially bradk's links to research this issue.

    But as for your empty threats -- yes, I say empty threats! -- and brandishing Google and/or eBay in my face: HAH!!!!

    Do you think you can frighten me that way? Don't you puny mortals realize I have the power to open BOTH Chrome AND Firefox at once -- threatening the stability of the entire Internet????

    So just back off, Google, and back off, eBay.

    Don't make me push the button.

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  13. #13
    Prince of Content Vinny O'Hare's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,126
    Ok Gary it has been so long since I remember this happening to me. I am not sure what the right terms are and I think its packets.

    I was having the same problem and when I had dsl the company came in and changed packet settings(I think). The number was 2000 I think, something about input and output. It has been so long I really forget but once they changed the settings I was able to use internet explorer again.

    I am only telling you this because its what helped me
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

  14. #14
    Prince of Content Vinny O'Hare's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,126
    Gary look here but I would advise not changing your settings unless you are sure this is your problem. Max MTU: How do I find mine? Tweaking FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

  15. #15
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Listen up, people.

    I've appreciated the replies, especially bradk's links to research this issue.

    But as for your empty threats -- yes, I say empty threats! -- and brandishing Google and/or eBay in my face: HAH!!!!

    Do you think you can frighten me that way? Don't you puny mortals realize I have the power to open BOTH Chrome AND Firefox at once -- threatening the stability of the entire Internet????

    So just back off, Google, and back off, eBay.

    Don't make me push the button.

    Gary
    OMG, the Charlie Sheen of internet marketing.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  16. #16
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    OMG, the Charlie Sheen of internet marketing.
    Now THAT was funny...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    OMG, the Charlie Sheen of internet marketing.

    -rematt


    You caught me.

    I spend too much time watching The Today Show and they have an ongoing interview yesterday and today with Sheen. I had him in mind as I wrote that.

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Knock Knock launches with Google Affiliate Network
    By Google Affiliate Network Moderator in forum Google Affiliate Network - GAN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
  2. Knock, Knock -- Linkshare Lady -- Sept Payments?
    By gettnthar in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: September 14th, 2005, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •