Smile What do you want in my affiliate program?
    Hi Affiliate Marketers!

Its great to meet you.

I've got an affiliate program in my website at: Moderator Note: Removed

However, I've personally noticed that the website company I am with, doesn't seem to "get" what I think an affiliate would want.

I'd love to learn direct from you, what would attract you to an affiliate program.

This way, I can suggest it to the company. (And/OR which already existing affiliate program is best? Google? Share a Sale?)

YOu can also add your own comments to the website company directly:

Moderator Note: Removed

This will be a good thing to get them into, as there are many merchants and stores using this cart -a good potential for affiliates.

Thanks for any suggestions you have! I want my affiliate program to rock, and I want my affiliates to be very very happy!

Ink Baby
    Moderator Note: Please see ABW Advertising Options Here: http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/
    Last edited by 2busy; February 27th, 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Cart is in front of Horse

Hello Ink Baby, welcome to ABW, we do wish to see you succeed here but there a few rules set up that we all need to follow.

One good place to read is this forum where you introduced yourself: Merchant Best Practices Forum - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum No problem to ask for feedback on your site, but there is one specific forum for that, the Site/Logo Review forum. A review of your affiliate program is available as a paid service.

Some tips on terminology - Google Affiliate Network and SAS Network are not Affiliate programs, they are networks. Networks manage tracking and payment issues for merchant's Affiliate programs. The website company you are with generally refers to your host and normally is of little or no interest to affiliates unless your host is causing performance issues. It helps a lot to familiarize yourself with the terms so that responses are coherent and helpful. ABW is an excellent place to learn all the facets of this industry and we hope you will read, participate and be successful. Good luck.

Hey 2busy.... Love your edit reason of "Reason: Cart is in front of Horse"... it made me smile.

Paul

Hi, No problem, I wasnt seeking a review of my site, rather I was hoping that affiliates could tell me the most important things to them, that they seek in an affiliate program. Is it to be tracked by IP address? to have coupon codes? etc?

I wouldnt recommend my sites affiliate program at the moment. Unfortunately :-( I'm trying to get my shopping cart company to improve their affiliate program, it could potentially be great for all affiliates since the cart hosts many many merchants.
    I can just post anything from affiliates, to the cart company itself rather thn leaving a link.

so, is this thread in the right place? Thanks for the info! I will definately post my other website in the forum you suggested, (as an affiliate to another company!) to get ideas on it.

Thanks a lot!

One thing I've just done, is add a required question to checkout, which states:

"Who Referred You To (my company)?"

In this way I can also help figure out if an affiliate referred someone to my site. Is this something affiliates appreciate, or not?

What is the best way that affiliates like to be tracked?

Ink Baby, I'm a little confused but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking, so hopefully my response won't be too off base.

What I think you're saying is that the shopping cart or host that you're using has some affiliate tracking capabilities and you would like to know what options we would really like to see. If what I just outlined is correct, there is absolutely nothing about that scenario that would attract me as an affiliate. While I do work with a handful of independent programs, I much prefer to work through a network unless the merchant has a track record of integrity or is managed by a trusted OPM or AM. No offense, but I have no idea who you are, no idea of your ethics and no clue of your knowledge level or experience. While networks add very little protection, they do add another level of trust.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Ideally, through a network.

+1 what rematt said.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink Baby View Post
    One thing I've just done, is add a required question to checkout, which states:

"Who Referred You To (my company)?"

In this way I can also help figure out if an affiliate referred someone to my site. Is this something affiliates appreciate, or not?

Yes you need to be looking at either a proper network solution or a proper off the shelf tracking solution, not the iffy system that it appears your designers are putting together.

I recommend doing some reading here in regard to what the basic expectations of an affiliate program are in the other threads here in the Merchant Best Practices section.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi All!

I just woke up to all these great posts. Thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it.

So it appears that I have to get some kind of network? Honestly I'm a total newbie. I don't know what this means:

"I much prefer to work through a network unless the merchant has a track record of integrity or is managed by a trusted OPM or AM. "

Not sure what a network is, how to get one, or what an OPM or AM is.

Yes, I DO want to show my affiliates trust and integrity. What would be the use of an affiliate program otherwise? I'm not interested in scamming any affiliates. I appreciate sales reps! I think any company who doesn't, is just looking to go DOWN.....

that's why I'm on this board. I feel like I'm starting to be steered towards the right track. Thanks for any responses!

The major networks all have forums here, some are more active than others. If you have a large program (many products) and deep pockets, the big guys are CJ and LinkShare. The ones that are quicker to start at for smaller merchants (though they work with the big merchants, too!) are Buy.at, AvantLink and SAS. SAS is ShareASale and I believe it has the lowest start up costs, but I couldn't quote figures for any of them.
    As for popularity, you can look through the polling forum to get an idea.

Networks are the interface between affiliates and merchants. They take care of tracking sales and paying affiliates; They are the platform for affiliates to join your program; they hold your program's creatives (links) and allow access to affiliates who are in your program. Networks offer on demand reports to merchants and affiliates to see how things are going, usually in real time. Networks do not manage your program, that seems to be a misconception that many new merchants have. It is up to the merchant or their representative (you?) to manage their program.

AM=Affiliate Managers - can be in house or outsourced, sounds like your job?
    OPM= Outsourced Program Managers - professional management companies that can manage or help merchants learn to manage an affiliate program.

Read around, there is a lot of information at ABW from people who were in your shoes last week or last year. Here's another good place to start: Starting an Affiliate Program & Merchant Q&A - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Nice summary 2Busy

Thanks so much 2busy!

The network sounds like a huge relief. I worry all the time about being able to manage everything as I've already got so much to do.

I'll definately check out that link and I hope to find the polling forum.

:-)

The Best in 2010 - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum is the most recent poll, and there are several others.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread