2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm sure their has to be some purpose for copying my sites SE listings, and thousands of others, for this shanky site ...

http://www.free-police-auctions.com/...e-jewelry.html

Must be a e-mail and SE spammer as he shows up on all types of Pill pushing domains ...parent http://www.activehealthinc.com/ for Active Health Laboratories ...Gary Gil
    www.iVitamins.com on and on adnausium.

So my content is part of a fake front of doorway pages. Guy must be one of those spam robots and he hijacks a listing on thousands of keywords to get tricked links to is pages. Many redirect setting cookies.

Wooooh... http://www.free-police-auctions.com/site-map-1.html that helps with 131 links to SE spamming frontends to fool Google and Yahoo into thinking he has auctions. Adwords income on the surface with a ton of trickery within the hidden sections.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Simple stuff Mike...

He has harvested search engine listings for a particular set of keywords. Since the page links to a bunch of sites that the search engines KNOW are about the keywords, he is hoping to be a minor 'authority hub' on the keywords and of course gain ranking.

The SE traffic is then shown the Google Adsense listings and the owner makes money by that traffic clicking on them. In addition, you just might gain an incoming link or two till the search engines remove the page.

Now, there are two problems with this. Most likely the spider that harvested the listings from the search engine was going against the search engines TOS. More importantly, the guy is probably breaking the Adsense TOS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    https://www.google.com/adsense/policies
    No Google ad may be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike this has been happening to me for months
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Click on the ads by google and report that he is using your content to generate ads on adsense.

Unlike those other trusted 3rd parties, google has no qualms about kicking these scumbags out. I probably kill 2-3 of these a week for using my content.

ABW Ambassador
    I am not copyright expert, but there probably is no copyright problem going on here. Anyone can copy a sentence or two from your web site and provide a link to you. Especially when they dont present it as their original content. The search engines do it all the time. Having a problem with this is like when some Brick and Mortor companies were FORBIDDING people to link to them. They aren't 'doing' anything to you.

The only REAL problem here is the Adsense TOS violation.

And yes, I know it's SE spamming but there is nothing illegal about that yet.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And yes, I know it's SE spamming but there is nothing illegal about that yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And heaven forbid that the government tries to butt into that, either.

Think about it--THE GOVERNMENT would have to determine the "value" of a site's content (or lack of it) to try to enforce such a law. It'd be a blatant violation of all of our 1st Amendment rights.

It's not like Email spam or fax spam at all. With email and faxes, the spams arrive due to them being "pushed" at the recipient by the spammer.

With SE spam, it only gets in after the SE has spidered--that is, it's been "pulled" in by the SE. The only way for a site NOT to be spidered is if the site owner actively prevents it (robots.txt), or if there are zero links in (so the SE never finds the site). That puts the onus of filtration on the SE.

Do you want the Government determining whether your site sucks? Or "happening to" notice/not notice based on campaign contributions, cronyism, or political affiliation?? I sure don't, but that's what'd end up happening with any such legislation.

Those crappy SE-listing sitelets may suck, but it's their First Amendment Right to produce them, and to not use robots.txt when doing so. I will defend the Constitional Right to make a site that sucks. Not because I like those sites, but because I wouldn't want the government having any say in the "worthiness" of sites. For them to have such a say would trample on all of our basic rights.

But, as non-governmental institutions, it's also the SEs' right to not list them! And I'm sure the SEs will exercise their rights to NOT list those fairly soon, since it seems that it wouldn't be too hard to blast that particular form of SE spam with an algo change.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    whhhoooowww...
    Thats why there was a winkie! I dont want to see any govt regulation ATTEMPT there either.

As for First Amendment Rights, lets hope it doesn't get changed in the next 4 years with all the other amendments that are going to get messed with. Oh damn, there i go with politics again.... nevermind.

the guy uses trafficequalizer or one of the others for generating thousands of pages to make lots of adsense income

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thats why there was a winkie! I dont want to see any govt regulation ATTEMPT there either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, my bad. I thought the winkie meant you were implying that you knew of some upcoming legislation attempt!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread