Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Lightbulb Make Auto Deposit a Requirement
    Hi All,

Temp offline from merchants pretty much irritates everyone, myself included when I have a client that simply won't set up auto deposit. And this is a serious business, merchants should be serious about their business and marketing channels. As such why isn't Auto Deposit made as a requirement, no optional choice, make it a 100% "must be done" requirement. Canceling it should be the same as "we quit".

Just my thought for the day on how to make SAS even better and more reliable.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Agree!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I almost agree. I'd be more inclined to require that funds be replenished within a certain number of days, at which point a program would be deactivated from the network and the merchant would have to pay setup fee - starting over from scratch - in order to reactivate.

Either way, a "funds on hand" policy would eliminate Shareasale's huge dead wood problem.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

+1 (Like)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager

SAS should make it that if ur offline more than 48 hours you pay a fine of $100 if your NOT on auto-deposit.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Brian - IT IS TIME TO MAKE THIS LAW! Enough already! Temporary Offline costs us ALL and more often than not it's NOT temporary!

I just checked one of my categories and three of them are Temporary Offine. You spend the time to give them I nice link and then this? Not good for the visitors you send them as it takes away the credibility of your site. I am not going to go thru all the work of redoing links to them. I will simply just the in.
    THIS MERCHANT IS OFFLINE! WE SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING ALTERNATIVE.
    I will insert the code from a competors site. Maybe we should charge an activation fee?

Agreed. Brian you need to do something about this. Davidh has proposed a nice compromise. Merchants must keep their accounts funded. If they are having cash flow issues, we need them out of the network.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    If they are having cash flow issues, we need them out of the network.
    Exactly, this might be an indication that they're not ready for an affiliate program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I almost agree. I'd be more inclined to require that funds be replenished within a certain number of days, at which point a program would be deactivated from the network and the merchant would have to pay setup fee - starting over from scratch - in order to reactivate.

Either way, a "funds on hand" policy would eliminate Shareasale's huge dead wood problem.
    Maybe, but why? Why give the merchant the option/excuse to go offline?

To cover an unforeseen event? Such as.... credit card expired...nope that would not be unforeseen and if anything that could be added to the SAS system "Hey next month your card expires remember to update to the new one today!" Send that every week, flash it on the UI.

I just don't see a reason to give a loop hole. Over to you for the rebuttal

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by janew View Post
    brian - it is time to make this law! Enough already! Temporary offline costs us all and more often than not it's not temporary!
    +1
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Another Big YEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Too many merchants abuse the system, they are not managed or they don't care.

So hit them where it hurts, in their wallets.

Brain take the next step and raise the bar for all of the Merchants
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; March 1st, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Agreed. Brian you need to do something about this. Davidh has proposed a nice compromise. Merchants must keep their accounts funded. If they are having cash flow issues, we need them out of the network.
    I agree.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Y +1

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    +1 x100000000!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Brian, overall you got to do something strict about the dead wood merchants in the system!. While you have good controls on quality of affiliates with merchants rating affiliates, screening, etc., the reverse is not true. The SAS has a bunch of deadwood merchants. This is JMO!

yeap

"I just don't see a reason to give a loop hole."

Tired of being a nice guy. Lil Miss Nice Guy is no longer......lol when it comes to this subject am Miss Grumpy....grrrr grrr Have even taken the time to send messages inside SAS to a whole lotta these merchants and explained these sentiments to them. Have been waaaaay more patient than should be.

Put another way, am not the only person who feels this way obviously and these merchants should realize a lot of us are losing our patience ( or already have) with them. If they want affiliates to join or remain in their programs they Definitely should have to do this. (woulda put definitely in all big letters but don't wanna sound too grumpy )

Pretty, pretty please do this.

I must be missing the point.
    Auto Deposit is a requirement for me.
    I simply made a choice.

How(why) is this Brian's responsibility to police an issue that should simply be a business decision of his affiliate members.

Maybe he enjoys collecting month fees from clueless merchants that can't be very much of a strain on SAS's resources anyway.

All should know that if they chose to work with Merchants that aren't on auto deposit, they're likely to incur an additional level of baby sitting. Just make a choice.

And Chris, you seem to feel strongly about this.
    How is it that you chose to work with a client that violates such a strong belief of yours? Why are you asking Brian to solve your problem?

I'm not getting it?

How(why) is this Brian's responsibility to police an issue that should simply be a business decision of his affiliate members.
    +1
    Exactly.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It's not about "policing", it's about doing the job that it is a network's place to do: to insure that affiliates are paid for their traffic.

As it stands, when you put up a link to a merchant on Shareasale, sometimes the links are live, and sometimes your hard-won traffic is wasted.

An even bigger issue with Shareasale (IMO) is the fact that they don't monitor to insure that merchants have a tracking pixel in place. It is just plain easy for a merchant to rip affiliates off by making a deposit and then removing the tracking pixel. These are the worst kind of parasite we have in this industry and on Shareasale they remain undetected until an affiliate goes through the trouble of making a test purchase and then letting Shareasale know about the tracking failure. It IS the network's job, not the affiliate's job, to POLICE for this.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    It's not about "policing", it's about doing the job that it is a network's place to do: to insure that affiliates are paid for their traffic.

As it stands, when you put up a link to a merchant on Shareasale, sometimes the links are live, and sometimes your hard-won traffic is wasted.

An even bigger issue with Shareasale (IMO) is the fact that they don't monitor to insure that merchants have a tracking pixel in place. It is just plain easy for a merchant to rip affiliates off by making a deposit and then removing the tracking pixel. These are the worst kind of parasite we have in this industry and on Shareasale they remain undetected until an affiliate goes through the trouble of making a test purchase and then letting Shareasale know about the tracking failure. It IS the network's job, not the affiliate's job, to POLICE for this.
    My post was in response to the title of the thread and the OP.

For now I stand pat.

There are other vehicles for other complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    Because ShareASale is the only affiliate network that I know of that kills affiliate links when a program goes offline.

A couple of years ago I joined a ShareASale program where I was selling a large # of products. They kept going offline... I actually had to have a conversation with the merchant's CEO to tell him about auto-deposit, which he then implemented. He didn't even know that the links went dead when the program went offline.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Because ShareASale is the only affiliate network that I know of that kills affiliate links when a program goes offline.

A couple of years ago I joined a ShareASale program where I was selling a large # of products. They kept going offline... I actually had to have a conversation with the merchant's CEO to tell him about auto-deposit, which he then implemented. He didn't even know that the links went dead when the program went offline.
    Good point, thanks.
    The question actually was meant to be more a question than a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    I must be missing the point.
    Because it should not need to be a choice, making sure that your marketing partners are supported and never having to check to see if their links work should be a basic requirement. Why should an affiliate need to worry every day as to whether their "partner" has gone offline, leaving them with deadlinks and lost revenue.

Maybe he enjoys collecting month fees from clueless merchants that can't be very much of a strain on SAS's resources anyway.
    Well actually he can't either, because he also charges from the same account so he actually loses money too.

All should know that if they chose to work with Merchants that aren't on auto deposit, they're likely to incur an additional level of baby sitting. Just make a choice.
    Why have to make that choice. Why make the job harder than it already is? Why make it the work of the affiliates to check if a merchant is online. That is why affiliates work at Networks, so that the network takes care of these issues. It Should NOT the job of the affiliate.

And Chris, you seem to feel strongly about this.
    How is it that you chose to work with a client that violates such a strong belief of yours?
    Good question, and generally because choosing a network is done after we sign a client, as part of the review process. But you make a valid point and we will be making it a requirement that all out clients who choose to run on Shareasale have auto deposit, it is actually just one of our present clients who is not at this time, or rather was one, we're going to have to release one client due to this issue...however this does not solve the issue, it means that the merchant becomes less visible when they go offline.

Why are you asking Brian to solve your problem?
    For the same reason as when an affiliate signs up with a network, I sign up my clients with a network so that they managed specific aspects of the business. And while it is my job to kick my clients to deposit money, every time I have to chase them up, means time wasted especially when they happen to be away, offline , sick etc and the deposit is not done.

Ultimately why have a hole in the business that could very very easily be plugged and sealed. I'm not getting that

I'm not getting it?
    Hopefully you do now

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; March 6th, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typos and formating

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast