Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Niche question
    I am currently new to online marketing, affiliate marketing, blogging etc....i am in the stage of trying to come up with a niche. I thought that it would be interesting to create a blog on news, views, and advice for making money online, sort of as a follow me on my journey type blog. I would write posts about whatever it is i learned that day, since i am in the learning stages. Whether it be SEO, writing an ebook, affiliate marketing, product creation etc....However, i would really like to be able to make money from this blog in the long run, which i am completely aware is hard-work and dedication. Is it possible to make decent money in this niche, or is it already saturated and completely dominated by gurus, and almost impossible to get traffic/noticed/make money from? Thank you in advance.

Competition is every where,specially doing something online, its almost saturated in many arenas.But it depends on the efforts you make,if your content is very good & you are putting best SEO efforts so I guess nothing is impossible.I think you should go ahead with your plan.
    [B][COLOR="Purple"]Maria Jarel[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR="Black"] Partnerships Executive[/COLOR] |[COLOR="Green"] Logoinn.com [/COLOR]| [COLOR="DimGray"]The Art for Business
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by SickFade View Post
    .....I thought that it would be interesting to create a blog on news, views, and advice for making money online ..... However, i would really like to be able to make money from this blog in the long run ....... is it already saturated and completely dominated by gurus, and almost impossible to get traffic/noticed/make money from?
    I'd stay so far away from this niche that you'd have to reach it by dog sled. This niche is so full of self proclaimed gurus, scammers and spammers that a legitimate site with real information doesn't stand much of a chance. You'd be better off selling iPods to high school kids.

JMHO.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I agree with rematt, it would certainly take some convincing on your part to get your readers to stay with you and come back daily since there is so much 'become a millionaire overnight" type stuff. How did you plan to monetize your blog.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

like i said i am completely new to everything and really am clueless on where to start....right now i am focusing on coming up with a niche...as far as monetization i guess advertisements, affiliate products, adsense...not too sure to be honest...

on the other hand i have two other ideas i have been thinking about....let me know what you think...

1. Blogging about golf which i have a passion for, however i am not an expert or in anyway qualified to teach techniques....so does this kind of eliminate this idea since i am not an expert of the golf swing, or can i research online for diff. topics on golf and change into my own words and personal thoughts?? maybe have a golf news section, tips, golf packages advertised, ebooks etc.........could i pay someone to write me an ebook on how to shave strokes off youre game using a certain technique and offer that to people who sign up for my email list? im just a little overwhelmed where to start and if i could even do this topic since i am not an expert?

2. I would learn wordpress and I could make a website or blog to talk about blogging, online business and create a bunch of niche blogs with wordpress and sell them to eliminate the hassle of the customer setting the blog up? maybe sell them on flippa for cheap...create the niche blog, seo, some articles/content, and sell them...and again host adverstisements, affiliate products on the site??.and eventually offer a freelance web develoment service where i make all kinds of websites..which i am trying to learn how to do now...long process...

please let me know any thoughts...as mentioned im trying to get straightened out here on where to start and if my thought process is even close to correct......thank you

I started off with a big, long response, but there was nothing in my post that hasn't been said a million times before here at ABW. You will learn from your mistakes, but to make it easier on yourself, try to avoid common mistakes like starting out in oversaturated fields= spend some time researching topics so you know how heavy the competition is. Check out the competition for whatever you want to do before you do it, you can't avoid it but you can manage it. Start somewhere so you can begin to learn. No one can tell you what you will succeed at.
    Good luck.

I would only echo what the other folks here have said, especially 2busy's comments about staying away from oversaturated ideas and researching topics to see which may really offer a niche instead of just an overworked subject or area of interest.

It seems to me you need to look at something you're interested in, but then try to trim it way down to a unique, small niche area.

Many folks here work on product related niches, i.e., sporting goods, furniture, but they take those general product areas and find a specialty they can focus on. Example: furniture or home furnishings are very broad product areas. Curio cabinets, wall clocks, closet organizers -- those are all closer to real "niches" you can focus on instead of something as broad as furniture or home furnishings.

Anyway, just my mumbling and thinking out loud. Maybe that'll help you see the possibilities of narrowing down something you're interested in to a focused niche you can work with.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I have to pretty much disagree with everyone else in this thread, simply because I have proven most of it wrong myself. I started off with a very similar blog myself, and I know several others doing it as well.

If you do it right, this type of blog can really be helpful, and can help you to break into the IM niche. However, it will take time, and it all depends on how you promote it.

Yes, there are a lot of Gurus and fake experts out there. but, by taking the position of not being an expert, and sharing what you learn, you can help other people.

When I started mine, I didn't rely on SEO, and even now I still don't get much search traffic to my blog, because I decided early on not to compete with all the seo experts. Instead, I get traffic through forums where I spend time connecting with other marketers, through blog commenting, and other social sites.

Although I dont get tons of traffic to my site, I don't need it to be successful in this niche. I share my personal experiences, successes and failures, and only promote products that I have used myself. It was my first, and most consistent site making sales as I built up my other affiliate sites.

Being new here, not going to throw in any links, but if you are interested in seeing a few other people that I know are being successful with this type of blog, PM me, and I will share them with you.

JM thanks for the response ....i will be PMing you soon.....appreciate it

Congratulations jmpruitt75; you are the exception. Unfortunately it usually doesn't make good business sense to deal in exceptions. Most of the Guru market is made up of would be marketers attempting to market to other would be marketers. SickFade would just be another unknowing noob in a sea of unknowing noobs.

What I find interesting though is that SickFade is so hot to jump on your bandwagon after many others have given opposite advice. It really seems that he was just waiting for someone to validate what he wanted to do. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water. SickFade it's your time and your money. Have a blast, fortunately though there won't be any PMs going back and forth. So jmpruitt75 will have to find another way to send you that link and take your money.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Rematt, I respect your opinion, but please don't judge me based on what other affiliates in this niche do. I am not asking for any money. I am simply offering advice based on personal experience. I am not a Guru, and I don't want to be one. I simply don't think it is fair to tell someone they cannot do something when it has been proven that it can be done, if you do it right.

Although I am an affiliate in the IM niche, I don't do a lot of promotion in it. There are others here who know me from other forums and know how much I give without asking for anything in return.

anyway, just saw the rules on post count for PMs and links. that's fine.
    Last edited by jmpruitt75; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

rematte-i dont understand why you got offended......bc i say i will PM him...what does it hurt to hear about experiences and ask questions....maybe it seems im so hot to jump on his bandwagon bc he is the only one that offered any type of 1 on 1 informative opportunities...just would be nice to hear from someone, since i am new to this and really do not know where to start and i know nobody involved in this...also i offered two other ideas and really have gotten no valuable information back...........just not that big of a deal and did not warrant a response as such....

JM- is there any other way i can get a hold of you to ask a few questions? email?
    Last edited by SickFade; March 3rd, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpruitt75 View Post
    Rematt, I respect your opinion, but please don't judge me based on what other affiliates in this niche do. I am not asking for any money.
    Trust me I don't judge. SickFade asked for advice, we gave it to him. He apparently didn't really want advice, he wanted validation. That's fine too, JUST DON"T WASTE MY TIME!

I am simply offering advice based on personal experience. I am not a Guru, and I don't want to be one. I simply don't think it is fair to tell someone they cannot do something when it has been proven that it can be done, if you do it right.
    Never said it couldn't be done. Hell if you really want to, you can play a trumpet with your butt. But just like the "guru" business, there are probably better ways to make a living and you don't have to hold your nose.

Although I am an affiliate in the IM niche, I don't do a lot of promotion in it. There are others here who know me from other forums and know how much I give without asking for anything in return.
    If you're not making a living at it, then you're not the "proof" that you claim to be "I have to pretty much disagree with everyone else in this thread, simply because I have proven most of it wrong myself".

rematte-i dont understand why you got offended......
    I'm not offended in the least. I'm assuming that you're an adult and you can do whatever you like. But I'll repeat, if you simply want validation, say that up front and "DON"T WASTE MY TIME".

You boys have a good night now, ya hear?

-rematt

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    While I DON'T think a Make money blog is a good idea for an internet and marketing newbie to make money, it could be a good way for you to practice blogging, seo, etc while you figure out what your real niche is. Just don't pretend to be a guru.... really the whole I'm a guru routine some people play is SO annoying.

What are you passionate about? Yeah, you want to make money, but is money what makes you happy and feel good?

Really you should only write about what you know.

Good call LD.
    I started by trying to pretty much "chase" the money. SO what that means is you do some research, find what's hot or up and coming and then try to monitize that niche. Yes it can be done, but as a newbie you'll be dizzy trying to make it work like that.
    Really take the time to see what you are really into and won't mind digging up new things on and writing about....a lot!

To make up a blog about our journey is totally a cool thing to do. Just don't try to focus your efforts on SEO and promoting it to make some $$.
    Don't get me wrong, set it up properly, apply what you know, and use it almost like an online journal. When people start to read and follow you the money will come.
    I just don't think you should try to focus everything on making that niche work right off the bat because you might get frusterated quit a bit.

like any niche search - check the competition and see if you can do better or somehow gain traction. it will be difficult but of course it's not totally impossible. other topics would be easier

I agree. The original post was asking if it could be done, and so my answer was yes it can, but it is really difficult. That is why I said it could be done.

However, you shouldn't focus on it as your main money site early on. You should work on developing your skills in other less competetive niches, and use your blog as a way to journal your progress. Then, once you get some experience under your belt, you can focus time on building up your IM blog if you like. By that point, you will already have an established site, which will help with Search rankings, and credibility within the niche, as people have seen you grow up in the industry.

@ rematt, I didnt say I didn't make a living at it, just that I don't do a lot of promotion in it. With the small list I have, and little promotion that I do, I still make a good 2-3k/month from my IM blog, and more if I actually decide to do a product launch, which is rare. Depends on what you call a making a living. I don't rely on any one niche to make a living. I have multiple sites in various niches that account for my income, the IM niche is just a small part of that.

If I were to focus more on it, I could ramp it up to make a lot more, but it is my choice not to.

@Sickfade,I use some variation of jmpruitt on all the sites I hang out on. you will recognize me, because I use the same avatar everywhere I go. You can find me a lot of places around the web, since I do more social networking than anything else for traffic. (when in doubt, use Google)

good point jmpruitt75

on the other hand i have two other ideas i have been thinking about....let me know what you think...

1. Blogging about golf which i have a passion for, however i am not an expert or in anyway qualified to teach techniques....so does this kind of eliminate this idea since i am not an expert of the golf swing, or can i research online for diff. topics on golf and change into my own words and personal thoughts?? maybe have a golf news section, tips, golf packages advertised, ebooks etc.........could i pay someone to write me an ebook on how to shave strokes off youre game using a certain technique and offer that to people who sign up for my email list? im just a little overwhelmed where to start and if i could even do this topic since i am not an expert?
    Going with you passion is the key. I mean, you might have a passion for making money...but I agree with the majority of reply's - the money making journey is oversaturated. Just take a look on Twitter. In fact, I wouldn't really consider it niche.

Even though you're not an expert at golf, you can still blog about it. What about a blog recounting your journey at becoming a better golfer. Paying an expert to write an eBook is a great idea. You could also make a rev sharing agreement with the writer and you do all the marketing stuff. If you do an eBook, get it on ClickBank. Golf tutorials sell. I actually know a lot of golfers and most of them ordered some kind of online tutorial before! That could potentially pay off.

It's funny because I helped my Dad get into internet marketing and the first site I helped him launch revolved around golf - golf putters, to be exact. He mainly earns revenue of it for Google Ads and CPS. But it's nothing to quit your day job over. Unless your pulling a LOT of traffic for the top golfing-related keywords, affiliate commissions won't add up. They are generally for under 10%. That was my father's experience, at least. His site continues to rank for several smaller niche terms.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there for you. I say do your passion! Don't sell out for quick money. If you stay positive doing your passion and stay open to new opportunities, it will pay off and doors will open that you never thought would or could.
    Last edited by GreenAffMan; March 6th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

I agree, you need to be passionate about the niche. The way I look at it is would I do this whether it ever made me any money or not? If you can answer yes to that question, then do it.

I blog in the IM niche because I love talking about the things that I do online, not because of the money that it makes.

If half a dozen doctors tell me I have a fractured leg, I can still keep getting opinions until I finally get one that says my shoes just don’t fit right- and go on limping. You could title your blog “How to spend a lot of time trying to monetize a blog and attempt to overcome my transparent intentions click here click here click here so I make a penny from my affiliate links” or stick to something you are really passionate about as your readers will know the difference and take notice of what others are doing with the ol’ tony robins “success leaves clues” theory. But then I’ve never seen someone play a trumpet with their butt – so maybe writing about making money with a blog when you haven’t done it is a great way to create a brass section.

I'm brand new to this myself, and have done exactly what you are proposing, however, I agree with the majority here, that this is not a highly lucrative area to start in. I don't expect my new blog to make much money, but it will tell my story. It's main purpose is to keep me on track as I progress in learning about affiliate marketing. I just wrote a post about my reasons for starting this way. If anyone is interested, you can find the link in my profile or PM me and, I'll send it to you. I now have to start finding niches to create content in, and then, hopefully, the money will come. I look forward to learning from all the experienced members here.

Any niches can get traffic and make some cash as long as you have good contents. But if you want to make more, you need to know some high price niches, one thing you should know is, high price niche often means high competitive. So it's up to your choice.

ProBlogger actually just posted an article about standing on your own when there are bigger and better blogs out there. I love my RSS Reader!

Read it, as I blog in a saturated field as well I became discouraged about being the little guy but after reading this article, my mindset is different.

www.problogger.net/archives/2011/05/08/how-to-blog-without-comparing-yourself-to-others/
    Last edited by 2busy; May 8th, 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: removed RSS URL

Golf, being one of the most popular participant sports world wide is another saturated "niche", but if you have a passion for the sport find a unique angle. How about your struggles to become accepted by a club because you were a crap player, had no money for lessons...... etc, etc. Make up a journal about your journey from hacking around wasteland to finally making it to the fairways.

Best of luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast