Suggestions if you've been hit by Google's latest update
    Instead of derailing existing threads about the recent google update, I figured I would start a new thread directed at those affiliate publishers who may have been hit..

ABW has some lively threads discussing the 'content is king' argument, and it goes without saying that content has to be original, fit your niche, (hopefully) add value, or answer a question.

But even the best original content is useless without conversion.

It's important to remember that traffic doesn't necessarily equate to sales/conversion. It may only take 100 visitors to generate 20 sales... so who cares if you lost 500 visitors who weren't buying..? If you're down to 100 visitors, it's time to work on your site conversion.

There is no roadmap (or magic bullet!) for conversion, but here's a starting checklist, and I encourage anyone to add to this:

1. Implement those new ideas that have been on the back burner..
    2. Clean up stray/stale pages that you have ignored, or haven't had time to fix
    3. Review your tags & copyright (anyone still listing 2009/2010..?)
    4. Privacy policy in place? This is for credibility to your visitors..
    5. Spit & polish - could your site use color changes, a new font, a fresh template?

Some of this is basic maintenance, but it's important and your site will be better for it...

I also did something last year that many disagreed with (in theory) - I disabled rss feeds generated from my site. Having seen what scrapers could do with datafeed product pages, I was concerned about original articles & photos appearing elsewhere (my bread and butter). Something tells me that decision worked for me this time 'round.. I'm not sure I would recommend this for everyone, but I had my reasons.

I encourage other publishers to pipe up with suggestions!

2. Thanks From:

Thank you, Teezone! That was very helpful

I would like to add relationship marketing to the list. If you find forums/blogs that are related to your niche and help the people solve their problems, then you'll be able to build a relationship with them. You could then refer them to your site and you'll get traffic and lots of sales.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Uh, teezone, it's pretty early in the year, don't you think, to be shooting for "Best Post of 2011"??

Seriously, in my opinion, that's how useful your post really may prove to be. I know I'm taking a close point-by-point look at a couple of my sites in light of your suggestions.

Sometimes the most obvious, basic things, i.e., sales/conversion, get lost in the mix.

Thank you!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I do agree on disabling RSS feeds on site unless the site is meant for press release. Now Google has changed its algorithm to ignore all duplicate contents. However I have a little concern on your 5th points. Does it require changing fonts, color and templates to boost the sales and visibility in search engines?

You missed the point of my original post.. which is to focus on site conversion..

'Sales' & 'visibility in search engines' are not correlated. You don't need more traffic to generate sales.. you need better conversion. It's even possible to earn more with less traffic.
    Last edited by teezone; March 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    1. Implement those new ideas that have been on the back burner..
    2. Clean up stray/stale pages that you have ignored, or haven't had time to fix
    3. Review your tags & copyright (anyone still listing 2009/2010..?)
    4. Privacy policy in place? This is for credibility to your visitors..
    5. Spit & polish - could your site use color changes, a new font, a fresh template?
    Fab suggestions, teezone! I'm in the process of doing most of these, some I began last year.

Another suggestion: review non-producing programs & either delete or replace.

For that pesky updating copyright date issue, place this simple string of code that will automatically update the year (or just use it by itself after the © symbol):
    Code:
    ©2000–<?php echo date('Y'); ?>
    If you have HTML pages, your site must be able to parse PHP as HTML code. Add this to your .htacess file:
    Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php html .htm
    or if you have PHP 5.x installed, you may have to use this instead:
    Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .html .htm
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

8. Thanks From:

As one of the people that got hurt by Google's algo-change I gave it a hard thought myself - how can i make lemonade out of this googlemon. As you don't know my sites, I feel obligated to say that my content is 100% purely home made, very niche relevant and to my opinion - helpful to my visitors. No idea why Google now gives me the cold shoulder. From knowing my own content I must say - the algo is not perfect.

I was wondering whether I should polish old content or should I create new content. My sites don't have lots of content (around 30-40 pages) so I still can expand a lot.

What do you think? Should I go for growth (new content) or grooming (old stuff)?

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post

For that pesky updating copyright date issue, place this simple string of code that will automatically update the year (or just use it by itself after the © symbol):
    Code:
    Why didn't I think of that?

Strange behavior indeed
    I noticed traffic going north in the weeks after the update. From high 30s visits/day to a peak of 570. And last week it dropped way back down to previous levels.

Silly me, I thought that an update I had made - adding some pages and submitting a new article to the ezines sites - had made Google love my site. As the traffic boomed, I cleaned up another section of the site as well, and then traffic tanked.

It was a flash in the pan, and I can't figure out where it was from. The main keywords weren't it, because their levels didn't spike. A ton of out-of-the-way terms were the source of traffic. For two weeks I was a happy camper, and there were more conversions, although not proportional to the increase in traffic.

Still, it's nice to see a site take off like that, and less nice to see it crash. What did I do right, and then wrong? I'll certainly check out the things you listes, and see if it has any results, but they never were a problem before. Sometimes things like this make me scared to touch a site.

Other members reported similar activity recently here: Something Odd Happening Today - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

It could just be a Spring Break effect, but I noticed a decline in traffic on my main site in the past 2 weeks, so I decided to take my own advice (instead of hitting the panic button!).

After a thorough review of the site, I found 404s in Webmaster tools (there was a legacy htaccess redirect that was broken), page load speed had increased (not by a huge amount, but a steady rise), and performed a banner review, ie. replaced the ones with the fewest clicks. I even added a field available in the product database that I never noticed.

The bottom line is that every site needs periodic maintenance..

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Fab suggestions, teezone! I'm in the process of doing most of these, some I began last year.

Another suggestion: review non-producing programs & either delete or replace.

Code:
    If you have HTML pages, your site must be able to parse PHP as HTML code. Add this to your .htacess file:
    Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php html .htm
    or if you have PHP 5.x installed, you may have to use this instead:
    Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .html .htm
    Marvelous! Now I can start checking my wordpress blog.

Google search results seem more useful after this algo change. Lots of rubbish sites have disappeared from SERPS.

I realize this thread is a couple weeks old, but I thought I'd chime in. I think the real key is an active community. You should aim toward more usage and focus on metrics like comments and likes. If you don't have an active community you'll most certainly get hit by Google, especially if the site is full of affiliate links. Google likes to see fresh conversation, not affiliate content.

Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread