I want to add a serch function to one of my sites. Preferably in PHP but I can not find anything to meet my needs. Anyone have any suggstions?

Thanks,
    David

I've been using the external service at Atomz.com for an eternity on one of my sites. They're non-intrusive and let me format the results page to look exactly like my other pages. They also provide some decent basic reporting even with their free package (which is all I use).
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

I use csSearch.. they have a lite version the is free to use...

it's written in perl, however it has an installer so you just install and run... the paid version uses templates so you can have the look anf feel of your pages..

if you are comfortable editing code you can change the look and feel of the free version.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Atomz is great - BUT - they recently started showing a LOT of sponsored ads in their free version.

Using their free version now is just like useing Google - your own stuff is buried way at the bottom under all the paid ads

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I use google adsense for search, you actually get paid if someone clicks on one of the sponsored listings displayed by google.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I used to use Atomz and was very happy with it, then went over to Google when they started the paid-for ads. If someone is going to click away to another site I may as well earn something from it as give it away.

I think if you want people to take you seriously you should use PHP/mySQL. I just found a really nifty way to organize my data with mySQL using a fulltext index. This allows you to run search queries against your product database and get results by relevancy. It's very smart and even allows you to +require or -disregard words as well as an "exact phrase" match like Google offers. I was blown away when I found this feature and have been using it all over the place. The results are fantastic!! I'm even tempted to add an "I'm feeling lucky" button to my site because I'm so confident in the results.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    I think if you want people to take you seriously you should use PHP/mySQL. I just found a really nifty way... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to share? I have done it with my data base driven site myself, but if you have a favorite script to run against a flat HTML site, I'm all ears.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

There's plenty of information if you search Google for "mysql fulltext search". I don't have any static sites so I wouldn't know what to use to index those. Seems like there are a lot of options out there, but that's really not my cup of tea.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

David, you might want to give PHPdig a look. Very good reviews.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Paul Ward,

When you say you went over to google, do you mean that you started using thier serach or used adsense?

It sounds too good to be true if you are saying that you can add your own adsense to the google search.... Please let let me know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dak142:
    Paul Ward,

When you say you went over to google, do you mean that you started using thier serach or used adsense? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're already using ASdSense log on and look around for the search facility. This then delivers the Google search as it always used to, but there are paid-for ads above your own site listings which you get paid for in the same way as you do with AdSense.

"Too good to be true" - mmm sort of. You can't specify how the paid ads are displayed as you can with AdSense and there may be a lot of them. Also, if you're selling a really popular line in spotted blue widgets, then there's a lot of in-your-face paid for listing ABOVE yours - more obvious than with a Google.com search or with AdSense. Which you may not like especially if yours is an out-and-out sales site. Look at how they're presented first before you jump in fully.

Since this thread came up I like the idea of the php/mysql solutions, I make very little from the searches in absolute terms or comparaed to what I get from AdSense - then again that could be an argument that there's little to be lost.

Use Link Doctor database program. It is easy to set-up and use. It can be configured to use any MS Excel file as your database.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

If you have a lot of files ( >2,000), then HtDig is a good way to go. And, it's free.

www.htdig.org

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I used to use Atomz and was very happy with it, then went over to Google when they started the paid-for ads. If someone is going to click away to another site I may as well earn something from it as give it away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on. I did this, too. The Google search default is set to Google search. Is is ok to change the default to search your own site first? I tried it and have had no problems so far.
    ~Ernie

Yes, you can set it to search your site first. You have to click the appropriate radio button while setting up your code at their site. You are also allowed another one or two sites to let people click on to search which is good if you have very similar material on other sites.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    After Atomz started charging - I emailed them and asked "How much $$$ to get rid of the friggin' ads?"

Whatever the price was it came with the disclaimer: "This offer is only valid for the next 30 days" - and I'm either there or very close

Anyone know the url of a site that uses google search where as Herb and Ernie say you can at least search your own site first - so I can see what the reulsts look like?

I use Swish, it's cgi and free source. Sort of a pain to install, but there is documentation online. Does a good job searching.

I'm on a UNIX server, not sure if it works on Windows.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread