All my Target BYOL have been reset to Target home page.
    I am livid. I just went in and checked a few of the BYOL links I made for Target, and every single one of them has been wiped out and redirected to the homepage. We're talking over 1,000 links, even the ones I created just last week.

Why would somebody go in and destroy all my work like that? People like being directed to exactly the page of the item they are looking for. Why? Why? Why?

If this is what they're going to do, it's easier to just link to the products at amazon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    If this is what they're going to do, it's easier to just link to the products at amazon.com.
    Yup.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yes, and then you won't have to worry about them coming in the week or so before Christmas saying they won't be paying commissions on sales in their most popular categories...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I don't f**ing believe it!! Same thing here.

Thanks Tracy for the heads up.

No way I have time to deal with this now - probably a month's worth of work to re-do/change out or whatever.

Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Great way to alienate all your affiliates, eh? Sort of figured it wouldn't be just me.

I always try to be nice to merchants. When there is a choice between the merchant's link and their link at amazon, I do the extra work and give the link directly to the merchant. Just what I get for being nice. I should have known better.

I received a nice response from my Target contact at GAN:

I will troubleshoot this tomorrow morning, don't worry all can be restored. However there is a change in how you should be building Target links moving forward...it will be a ton easier.

I received a nice response from my Target contact at GAN:
    I will troubleshoot this tomorrow morning, don't worry all can be restored.
    For everyone?
    However there is a change in how you should be building Target links moving forward...it will be a ton easier.
    When the GAN Link Generator was unveiled, I inquired whether or not that can be used for Target links or if we still had to use the old BYOL (approved) system, and was told to use the Link Generator. Do you know if that is it, or is there something newer?
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I've just been using the process that Target required when they opened up Deep Linking a couple of years ago. I have an Excel Spreadsheet for each section of my site, which contains the information for each link I create. Periodically, I go through and check each direct URL to make the product is available. If it is gone, I delete the link from my website. I never thought to check to make sure the actual links I created were still working. Don't even know why I checked last night ... except I checked one that the direct URL showed the product available and then for some reason I clicked the link and it took me to the Target homepage.

So, I went in to edit the link to find out what the problem was, and that's when I saw that Target.com - Furniture, Patio, Baby, Toys, Electronics, Video Games was all that was in the click-through URL box. This was an older link, so I went and checked links that I created a week ago (last Thursday). All of those had also been replaced. I was up until 6:00 a.m. working on the site, and just woke up. I checked, and the problem is still there, so I don't know if they are going to be able to fix it or not.

As far as the GAN Link Generator is concerned ... I didn't know about it. And I can't figure out how to get to the page to try and use it. I have always found navigation a real pain when creating links, so I just bookmarked the URL for each Merchant for creating links. So my routine is to create a link, then click the bookmark to create the next one. They don't make it easy. How hard would it be to add a "Create Another Link" button?

The link generator is found with the "Link - beta" tab in the navigation across the top of the GAN interface.

Its fast and easy to use, but you cannot just pick a single merchant - you put in a product and the response is for either 1) all of your joined GAN merchants or 2) all GAN merchants.

But I think it is still quicker than using BYOL - plus you can compare product prices, etc. with other merchants.

I checked a couple of links a couple of hours ago and again just now - still not working for me either.

That's where I'm looking and I seriously don't have an option to build links. These are the options I have:

Find links

Relationship status

Selected advertisers

Advertiser categories

Created by

Text / Banner / Search box

Size

Promotion

Start date

Expiry

Help

There is nothing to indicate a place to go to create links.

I wrote back to my contact and haven't received a reply yet. I was surprised to receive the first reply at midnight last night. I had been going in and updating links, but stopped when I received the message that they could fix it.

Sorry - I referred to the wrong tab - back in a second

I did a screen shot but when I try to attach it here, I keep getting an error message.

On the bacic GAN interface, the tabs I show across the top are:

HOME LINKS PRODUCTS ADVERTISERS OPPORTUNITIES REPORTS SUBSCRIPTIONS

It is the "PRODUCTS" tab for the link generator

OMG!!! Thank you!!!! I can't believe it. All I have to do is copy one link, and change the ASIN number in three places to use the same link over and over again. No more logging in to create links. Unbelievable! Makes it just as easy as making amazon links, except you have to put the ASIN in three places instead of one. Finally something that makes life easier.

1. BYOL Links that stopped working last week are still dead.

2. Response from Target is that you do not have to use the method outlined above to build new links; Target product links built with the GAN link builder do track properly.

Oh, so this is why Target sent me an email out of the blue a few days ago, inviting me to join?

:coffeetim

Is not as terrible as it could be
    I am livid. I just went in and checked a few of the BYOL links I made for Target, and every single one of them has been wiped out and redirected to the homepage. We're talking over 1,000 links, even the ones I created just last week.

Why would somebody go in and destroy all my work like that? People like being directed to exactly the page of the item they are looking for. Why? Why? Why?

Hi People! excuse my english language, I'm from México, and I understand it pretty well but to speak it or write it, you know, my sintaxys.... anyway....

I had the same problem...

I'm a Target's affiliate too, and as I can see they won't provide that service (BYOL) anymore, but take it easy.... I know a way to recover thousand of links easily.... YOU MUST TO USE THE PRIMARY LINK, you received an e-mail when Target Approved ¿do you remeber that e-mail? "Approved for Target.com", Well, that has this link: "Primary link" use it!!!!! is a simple "Deep link" Instructions here >>> How do I build a redirect link (deep link)? - Affiliate Network Help

Just i hope you keep all your "target.com/XXX" links... Regards..... =)

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread