Something Odd Happening Today
    On my kayak fishing website, I am being bombarded with searches for a pretty unusual keyword. It's one we've seen traffic for before over time, but over 500 times normal for it today alone.

Multiple IP addresses from all over the country. Some international, but not much.

I see nothing in Google News regarding this term whatsoever, so I'm not sure what today's interest is generated by.

By the way, it isn't good buying traffic

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Just as a quick side note, 99% of today's IPs are unique. So I don't think it's a bot. Multiple analytics sources confirm it.

How bizarre.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Might have been something on a TV or radio show that sparked interest?

Must be. We're at a loss. It's a scientific term too, making it even odder.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I've noticed that my "brand new site" (registered Dec 7) is also attracting large volumes of traffic from obscure search terms (that is, there are 6 or 7 obscure search phrases which are bringing traffic from Google [organic] again & again & again).

These do NOT appear to be standard copyright-search or title-search phrases, nor are they plausible "high-bid-rate" search terms, but instead they are long, narrow, and specific search phrases which I don't believe a "real person" would ever search for. I haven't yet done a "referrer analysis" (I suspect I'd find no referrer info for any of these).

Earlier this week, I wondered if my recent traffic increase (which has NOT been accompanied by any significant increase in sales) is due to "bots" and search-agents whose activity might have been escalated due to the recent Google search algorithm changes. In other words, the companies that monitor search rankings might be running their scripts more often on more search terms, to see the impact of the changes. Some of these companies operate a large number of servers in different locations (and I assume that some use a variety of proxy servers, probably including some "home" IP addresses).
    Last edited by markwelch; March 4th, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

this happens to superCool with image search sometimes. something will happen and people want to see a picture. superCool just happens to have a similar image.

are these normal googs or could they be image search?

Mark: You might be right, but I learned on a phone call over lunch that my term was mentioned on a TV show last night as a probable place for a 2011/2012 earthquake.

Which is great, since I fish there all the time
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    this happens to superCool with image search sometimes. something will happen and people want to see a picture. superCool just happens to have a similar image.

It's a healthy mix of both, with Images a little more prevalent. I've seen heavy image search before, but this is just such a strange term.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Earlier this week, I wondered if my recent traffic increase (which has NOT been accompanied by any significant increase in sales) is due to "bots" and search-agents whose activity might have been escalated due to the recent Google search algorithm changes.
    I see Kevin found another explanation, however I was ready to buy into this suggestion - I've seen search traffic patterns change on my site in the past week or so due to what looks like a google algorithm/ranking change.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; March 4th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It's a healthy mix of both, with Images a little more prevalent. I've seen heavy image search before, but this is just such a strange term.
    not involving southern half of Seneca Lake? just thinking that the recent announcement of possible installation of a natural gas storage facility under the lake would trigger all kinds of search activity. and hype.

Nope. The base term is actaully "Niagara Escarpment", with myriad longtail permutations surrounding it. I share because I care.

And because based on the behavior of the visitors, even if I was well monetized for it, I don;t think it would matter.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

What's the term when thousands of PCs around the world crunch data in unison acting like one giant super computer. They usually have a scientific mission. Could they be seeking any data on the cumming quake? It would explain all the independent IPs.

Mark: You might be right, but I learned on a phone call over lunch that my term was mentioned on a TV show last night as a probable place for a 2011/2012 earthquake.

Time to post some Quake insurance banners. Get to work! No more fishing.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    What's the term when thousands of PCs around the world crunch data in unison acting like one giant super computer. They usually have a scientific mission. Could they be seeking any data on the cumming quake? It would explain all the independent IPs.
    Grid.

I have several old computers I don't use for business anymore and I have them all just running projects for World Community Grid and SETI@home. Every once in a while I hook up a keyboard / monitor to them and make sure things are still in order. I even have them running on computers me and my family use daily. When a human isn't using the computer, then the grid kicks in.

I'm not aware of any bots/spiders used in these projects. Computers run computations, etc. and then 'phone home' the results...
    Last edited by Convergence; March 4th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The TV mention is a very likely explanation. A few years back I had an experience with some TV promotion that caused some astounding spikes in traffic.

Our local beach resort (the focus on one of my main sites) has a site with a domain similar to one where I have a small site, but my domain actually makes more sense (considering the actual name of the town). Well, anyway, I can tell by my site stats when they begin their springtime radio and TV ad spots in the Philly, Baltimore, DC and Richmond markets. I think the radio spots actually have more influence in this case - but there is a definite spike in traffic (fortunately, some of these visitors are actually shoppers).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

A little more data....

The region was mentioned on Art bell's Coast to Coast. While I'm a bit of a UFO head, I don't consider myself a full blown X-Filer.

I may be looking for a tin foil hat merchant if anyone has one...

As a side note.... I don't mean to offend anyone. I really do find that stuff fascinating. And my analytics today indeed shows it's a viable market. Interesting stuff.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

just checked -- tinfoilhats.com may be available. just need a supplier

I may be looking for a tin foil hat merchant if anyone has one..
    I bet you could sell an information report on what to stock in case of emergency. Especially if it was like $4. (just a little cross marketing)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    just checked -- tinfoilhats.com may be available. just need a supplier
    Well, there ya go, Kevin. You could use the Betty Mills' (in house) affiliate program for the Reynolds Wrap (foil) and probably talk the good folks at Printable Games A to Z (SAS Program) to design a set of plans for the foil hat. Sounds like a "natural" - albeit in a VERY tightly focused niche.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have them all just running projects for World Community Grid and SETI...
    ...was mentioned on Art bell's Coast to Coast. While I'm a bit of a UFO head, I don't consider myself a full blown X-Filer.
    ...We're not alone...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well, there ya go, Kevin. You could use the Betty Mills' (in house) affiliate program for the Reynolds Wrap (foil) and probably talk the good folks at Printable Games A to Z (SAS Program) to design a set of plans for the foil hat. Sounds like a "natural" - albeit in a VERY tightly focused niche.
    I prefer a nice shiny colander...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Grid or Distributed Computing. One is more specific, both are used to describe the same thing.

EDIT: Also called a botnet, but that's the typical term when used for more nefarious purposes.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; March 6th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post

I have also got tons of traffic yesterday and some where from image search.

Probably got 1300 more unique visitors than on a good day. I also checked for affiliates doing PPC, but nope. One thing I noticed was that I have gotten 1500 free stumbles one day. But that did not seem to be the case yesterday. I just wish that the sales would follow too...

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread