I know I've seen a post about this somewhere but can't find it now that I need it

I was just contacted by my server, who simply forwarded his latest reply to someone claiming two of my pages contain property belonging to them. He explained that he doesn't have anything to do with my site other than to host my site and content.....so he disabled the two pages in question and left it at that.

I had received verbal permission to use the article and gave credit at the bottom of the page (directly after the article and not buried somewhere way at the bottom).

I wrote the guy back and told him I have permission but I will delete the pages until it's cleared up. I deleted the pages but have no backup (another stupid move).

I think he should've contacted me immediately when he was first emailed and allowed me to work it out before he disabled my pages. Right or wrong?

Now for the trickiest part, how do I prove something I received verbally?

There is nothing on my site that doesn't have either email permission or some other form of written permission or whatever.....but if he disables the pages without affording me the time to prove my case or provide proof of permissions obtained, he might as well remove all the pages and then check with me about their origin.

I'm not even sure the people who contacted him are the people who own the article.

Where do I turn to clear this up.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

you don't....

just create new pages... with different content... then find yourself a reputable hosting company...

it's not worth the time invloved to try and prove y ou have permission unless it's in writing...

I have had this probelm... on a website I purchased... in my case I just shut down the website... it became more trouble then it was worth...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Sounds like they may have jumped the gun in disabling the pages without asking you about them.
    Copyright issues can get pretty sticky, and unfortunately without some sort of hard copy with permission is may make it difficult to prove claim of ownership over someeone elses work and use of it.

Just go get the permission re established, send the host a copy and it should be OK to re upload.
    Any copyright material for any articles I have used or written and offered permissions for reprint always have something to validate the permission
    Glad you were someone who aked about permission rather than copying someones work. You just skipped over a crucial step that should be easily rectified with only some additional time on your part to again get the proper authority.

The host said he found them "heavy handed" in their stance on this considering they didn't try to contact me and he wasn't going to offer me up on a platter for them to play with.

I guess he was protecting me but still failed to notify me at the first sign of trouble.

I wrote him back and said in essence, I have permissions - almost all (except for a couple) are in writing, so how do I protect myself from losing more pages if this were to happen again.

sometimes the originators let you have verbal permission, but some ambulance chaser style legal outfit goes fishing and convinces them they've caught someone. Like, too bad if your neighbor (also named) Disney wants a home page. He'll have some explaining to do.

so be very careful who you deal with . . .

Yes, I'm very slowly learning to question everything and think very carefully about who I deal with.

The start of, the end of innocence.

we wont be calling you "homeflower" for long

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Try to find the pages in the wayback machine.

http://www.archive.org/
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we wont be calling you "homeflower" for long <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh oh ! Is that a good thing LOL

I found the page (the important one) and have a copy now, but not too sure if I want to piss these people off. I'm just going to write my own article....they may own that specific series of words but they don't own the history of gems.

I love the way back machine...all those funky site designs. What was I thinking? LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think he should've contacted me immediately when he was first emailed and allowed me to work it out before he disabled my pages. Right or wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did the right thing cause he can get in trouble for the copyright violation. There are lots of page thieves out there and he has to cover his @ss. He didn't disable your entire site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He didn't disable your entire site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he could have, so sounds like a nice person.

original content is always best. Besides, then you can jump someone else for using it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> original content is always best. Besides, then you can jump someone else for using it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to write all my own articles but have lazied out lately. And besides, I'm not a good writer and I was under the mistaken belief that obtaining permissions to use the items would be the best way to go

Yep, he's a nice guy and could've shut down the entire site. So I'm thankful he did it his way.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread