Searching for affiliate pgms that keep it simple
    I have a nature/hobby related content site that garners a fair amount of traffic from kids, educators, hobbyists, etc. I previously sold a lot of birdhouses, feeders, and a few other nature related things via hits from this site, and a few others, but a while back I got tired of the increasing red tape and I just dropped the affiliate programs I was in.

I would like suggestions of affiliate programs that sell nature related items, but only programs which do not require that I supply them with proof of business license. Additionally, it needs to be focused and simple. I want to take advantage of the hits I'm getting, but I'm not going to try to keep up with sellers who email me everyday asking me to be a guinea pig trying new script to test a dreamed up marketing gig. I want to direct traffic to marketers that 1) have a good line, 2) display their wares simply, and 3) make it easy for people to give them their money. I've always been amazed at how sellers work so hard at making it difficult for people to give them their money.

I have no problem providing my SS number, receiving 1099s, or paying my share of income tax, but I couldn't keep up with the business license, renewals, repeated buyouts and new paper work, increasing expenses, and the time involved in keeping up with all the parasites. The way our city informs business owners of new business license changes was to fine us for not complying. When one affiliate program buys out another I spent my time filling out forms and joining new required programs.

My original goal was to build a robot that deposited money in my account while I napped and it worked for a while. I understand things need to be fixed sometimes and there is always work to be done, but I want that work to be predominantly improving my content, not diddling away my life for government parasites or filling out forms for new programs I'm required to join in order to maintain an affiliation.

My site has maintained a following without maintenance, even increasing traffic. It is an abstract, virtual thing that garners hits by providing useful information, designs, and printouts that lead to tangible beneficial things in peoples homes; Iím not buying a business license or getting a tax id any more so local politicians can give my money to their friends and I'm not joining an affiliate program that wants to pester me everyday. My sites send traffic to stores and people buy things. If it's not simple, I'm not doing it anymore.

That is the way it is supposed to be. I've never thought of buying a local license for advertising someone else's products that they sell. Sounds like you have been with some strange programs. Your only expenses should be webhosting and income tax once you pass that threshold. Have you tried working with a network like SAS or CJ?

Thanks for responding. Not sure what SAS is, I'll search-thanks. CJ did not have a good birding site. My best sales came through Performics affiliated bird sales site and then google bought them out and required endless new forms and responses - and a proof of a business license. Then they required that I joined programs which I did not use. Google is more suited to sites which garner hits through no content - just repeated words that get people to come to millions of useless sites, but not the information people are looking for. I'm not interested in the "ads by google" they take away from real product links and the google ads only give you pennies. I gave up.

I'm surprised that Google isn't sued for diluting the web through directing most people to bs sites. I believe it's equivalent to small towns requiring you to leave interstate highways and drive by all their local stores. Seems to me if you are going to hijack most of the web search traffic, you should be obligated by commerce laws to direct them to where they indicated they wanted to go - specific information. We'll see what their new algorithims do.

Thanks again, I'll find SAS

OK, shareasale. I was affiliated with them too. But they didn't have a good bird store.

Google is more suited to sites which garner hits through no content - just repeated words that get people to come to millions of useless sites, but not the information people are looking for. I'm not interested in the "ads by google" they take away from real product links and the google ads only give you pennies. I gave up.
    +1
    They have quite a few general Pets shops, I haven't checked, just thought that some of those must have bird stuff too. Maybe someone else knows a better place to find one.

Google still has the wildbird site affiliated so I guess I'll just have to renew and put up with their other stuff. Thanks for the response, got me going again.

required endless new forms and responses - and a proof of a business license
    I don't understand this requirement... I have a website & tax id, why do you need to show a business license? Bloggers can be affiliates too..
    Then they required that I joined programs which I did not use
    I don't understand this either - networks can't "make" me join merchants. It's perfectly ok to not accept offers, if extended.

I hope you have better experience this time around - as a publisher, I pick & choose whatever products I want to promote, and keep it as simple as possible.

Hey I was there with you at one point about finding something simple! My company can offer you many benefits and the income would be beneficial. If I could show you a way to save money but also make a second income, would you be interested in viewing?

Moderator Note: If you want to go farther with this you need to buy an ad.
    Last edited by Bill; March 9th, 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Warning about promotion...

Quote Originally Posted by kohn904 View Post
    Hey I was there with you at one point about finding something simple! My company can offer you many benefits and the income would be beneficial. If I could show you a way to save money but also make a second income, would you be interested in viewing?
    Maybe it's just me, Mods, but doesn't this sound a bit like a thinly veiled "MLM" recruiting pitch? I dunno.

Is that sort of thing permitted? Hmmm ...

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Aw Gary, our friend Stephen here just hasn't figured out yet that we're not that kind of forum. Once he understands that we'd rather learn from each other than profit off of each other I'm sure he'll fit right in. No doubt in my mind that he probably mean to say was something along the lines of: "bummer dude".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Aw Gary, our friend Stephen here just hasn't figured out yet that we're not that kind of forum. Once he understands that we'd rather learn from each other than profit off of each other I'm sure he'll fit right in. No doubt in my mind that he probably mean to say was something along the lines of: "bummer dude".

-rematt
    Ah. Of course. I'm sure you're right. What WAS I thinking??

Bummer dude.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread