Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Increased Blog Comment Spam (Google Panda?)
    Add another possible "side effect" of Google's recent "Panda" algorithm updates: more blog comment spam.

I just made the connection this morning, while cleaning out more spam from two WordPress sites: I've seen a sharp increase in the number of spam comment posts to my blogs in the 8 days since the Google Panda algorithm upgrade.

All these spammy blog comments made it through the Captcha plug-in, but so far all are being detected and flagged by Akismet, so they're not visible to my site's visitors.

I suspect that what's happened is that due to the downgrading of "content farms" by Google's Panda algorithm update, my blog sites are now ranking higher for search phrases used by blog-comment spammers to locate blogs that accept comments.

Other discussion threads about the Google "Panda" algorithm update:
    Article Marketing Gets Slapped - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Something Odd Happening Today - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Last edited by markwelch; March 5th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

I have seen an increase in spam to a lot of my sites too. just deleted 15 pages of spam comments from one of my blogs, when before I was getting maybe 2-3 pages/day.

I have mine set to admin approve all comments so nothing gets posted on my blog without my approval anyway. but, it is becoming more difficult to sort through them every day, to make sure no good ones got caught up in the filters.

But that is unfair for blog owners, as it is not their fault. Google should penalize blog commenter sites. Anyway, I've been disabled blog comments option on my blog to avoid such kind of rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanne View Post
    But that is unfair for blog owners, as it is not their fault. Google should penalize blog commenter sites. Anyway, I've been disabled blog comments option on my blog to avoid such kind of rush.
    Huh? I'm unhappy about some things that Google does, but how in this world is this unfairness Google's fault or responsibility? How would Google know about this issue? If Google sought to penalize blog-comment-spammers, how could it distinguish whether the spam was being posted by a competitor or someone else seeking to disparage the company whose link is embedded?
    Last edited by markwelch; March 10th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

I do a lot of blog commenting myself, so Google penalizing sites that allow commenting would be bad for me. Like anything when it comes to link building, commenting done right can be really helpful, and Google shouldn't discount all comments because some people try to game the system.

If thy did that, they would have to discount link building completely as a guide to what is relevant, because any time people find a way to build links, the spammers will flock to it like flies to honey.

this might be just another result of Google's slapping article farms

advertisers are now looking for alternate ways to get backlinks and blog commenting is one such way

I would suggest all blog owners to set comments display only after 'admin approval' in order to fight spam
    (Akismet is another good wordpress plugin to handle spam)
    Last edited by Prodigal; March 24th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

Better yet is to noindex, nofollow the comments feed. If a legitimately relevant site wants to do a guest post for a backlink, that can still be done, but self service backlinks are just asking for spam.

Akismet catches about 95 percent of spam comments in my blog but sometimes it catches some real comments too but not too often. I'm still spending only 5 minutes a day sorting out those spam comments so this new Google algorithm doesn't affect my blog at all.

3 days and 1771 spammy comments on my blog. wtf! I delete spammy comments regularly and they just don't stop spamming!
    Last edited by StoneWilson; April 12th, 2011 at 03:57 AM.

Turn off your comment feed and they will go way down.

I tired switching to Recaptcha and it didnt work. I had no idea what was going on as spammers were still making their way into my comment system. Have you tried converting to Facebook comments as in allowing comment only from logged in facebook users? I figured a lot of people have a facebook account and it would help on the spam.

I dont have enough data yet to see if my conversion to facebook comments is working or not, still a wonderful WordPress plugin on my blog.

I had over 27,000 spam comments on one blog, after turning off the comment feed, I have almost zero. I have enough data to see that turning off your comment feed works. The comment feed serves no useful purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    ... I have enough data to see that turning off your comment feed works. The comment feed serves no useful purpose.
    Quick and easy way to turn off your comment feed would be?

I thought it might be simple, but I did a Google search and found solutions mostly 2-3 years old that involved everything from creating your own plugin () to coding core wp files ().

Gotta be an easy way??

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by ProMarketers View Post
    ... Have you tried converting to Facebook comments as in allowing comment only from logged in facebook users? I figured a lot of people have a facebook account and it would help on the spam. ...
    There are many folks who are NOT Facebook users, for a variety of reasons, and even folks who use Facebook might not want to log in to post a comment (especially depending on how they're asked -- I generally don't approve an "app" to just post a comment).

With Akismet plus a Captcha plug-in, nearly zero comments make it into my queue for approval (and of course, I don't allow comments to be published on my blog unless I've approved them).

As others mention, it is certainly annoying to review the "spam queue" to see if any legitimate comments were improperly filtered, but so far I haven't found any, so I'm now only checking the spam queue once a week or less.

Quick and easy way to turn off your comment feed would be?
    It is one of the settings in WP SEO by Yoast. If you are currently using All in One or some other SEO plugin I strongly suggest trying the Yoast WP SEO plugin for many reasons..did you know that All in One has your privacy page meta tagged "index, follow" for example? It lets you import all your current settings and then edit them to how you really want them to be. No more re-activation after an update either. I was a paid All in One user and switched all of my WP sites after I tried Yoast on a new one. Yoast has been involved with WP for years and is well known as an authority.

... It is one of the settings in WP SEO by Yoast. ...
    Nope, thanks. Not interested in trying another SEO plugin.

I bought a really excellent templating system and SEO plugin just a month ago and totally love the stuff that plugin/template system let me do with WP.

Anyone else know a quick, easy way to turn off comment feeds?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Spammers will keep looking for ways to find out about your blog no matter what you do!

I personally approve the first comment manually, then you become a trusted person! I also spend a lot of time doing this and this is not good at all, but it's the only way!

ya i am also getting lot of blog spam comments everyday and i have to sort out them everyday.....

Affiliate Manager
    I had over 27,000 spam comments on one blog, after turning off the comment feed, I have almost zero. I have enough data to see that turning off your comment feed works. The comment feed serves no useful purpose.
    Some say that comments can be a good way to build return traffic, but it's definitely a question of priorities.

Like hishaman suggested, perhaps a good middle path is to moderate posts. Sure, it's time-consuming, but so it deleting spam.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Some say that comments can be a good way to build return traffic, but it's definitely a question of priorities.
    Turning off the comment feed does not prevent visitors from commenting, it just makes the site unattractive to spammers. Since the comment:spam ratio is somewhere around 1:1000 I would prefer not to leave the blinking neon lights on for spammers. All posts are still moderated, spammers still post but the ratio is closer to 1:4 now.

I asked above -- is there no easy, practical way to turn off the WP comment RSS without installing another plugin?

Guess not.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    I asked above -- is there no easy, practical way to turn off the WP comment RSS without installing another plugin?
    Most themes you can just remove the rss code from the header...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Comment feed is done via rss2. I'll bet John Powell could give you a hand in coding it out. I know that up to about WP2.4 (?) that it could just be commented out of the wp-feed.php file, but that has been changed now and it is managed with rss2 functions.

Some themes you can comment out the rss feed from the header via the the theme's functions.php.

The best thing to do is do a search based on the theme you are using, IMhO...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 29th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Comment feed is done via rss2.
    I just realized that now. Problem is, if you start commenting out/editing core files, it is a possibility you would have to do so again after an update...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast