Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Thumbs up The Plant-Based Diet: Is Meat Good for You?
    Hey,

just found this article, check it out.

The Plant-Based Diet: Is Meat Good for You?

I've drastically reduced red meat consumption for many years & my sensitive stomach has been very grateful, as well as recently adding fruit & green smoothies to my daily diet. However, I always check my sources. As Mark Twain said, "There's lies, damn lies & statistics" (the biggest lies of all).

There are findings that suggest that Dr. Campbell has taken some serious liberties with statistics. Not uncommon for whatever study: use only the numbers that support your theories. Numbers don't express the whole picture nor are they necessarily "facts."

Here is a link that rebuts some of his findings as well as links at the bottom of the article with his rebuttal + other commentary by others + Dr. Campbell which gives more of the picture.

Growing up as a Catholic, I learned about "the sins of omission"—what isn't said contributes as much to one's ethics as what is said.
    Yet the pages of The China Study make no mention of George Mann's and other researcher's extensive study of the heart-healthy Masai or the healthy primitives of Weston Price, who relied extensively on fatty animal foods.
    Plus how about the French, known for their high-fat diets but also have relatively little heart-related diseases as a population?

What I've gleaned from all of the above is that the entire context of a population should be taken into account: as a culture, are they stressed out, do they have strong family bonds, is cigarette smoking prevalent, are they sedentary, etc.?

I don't worship any Western, Eastern or alternative health agenda exclusively. All that said, if you're feeling lousy, have low energy, are overweight: I heartily agree, increasing the amount of vegetables/fruits in your daily diet contributes to your overall health, as well as regular aerobic exercise & a positive mental outlook.

It's not only what you eat, it's what's eating you.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; March 7th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Hi, thanks for the comment. Definetly true that the diet is not the only thing that contributes to overall health.

I have stopped eating meat not only because of my health but also because of the way animals are treated and killed.

Some people believe that meat industry has a lot to do with the way we eat today and there massive advertising campgains which are pumped into our childrens brains every day have a big impact on their health and our health.

I have grew up on eating meat and my grandma thinks I am nuts not to eat meat. She is 70 and already had a pace maker put in to help her with her heart. But make no mistake, she has been very active her whole life and loves to work arround the house and her garden.

There is a big difference in eating in US and in Czech Republic, especially since she has planted all her veggies and fruits in her own garden.

I have stopped smoking, drinking and eating meat.. Everything I eat now is organic. I walk every morning with my wife and son. I think that I am on good way to strong health.

Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    I have stopped eating meat not only because of my health but also because of the way animals are treated and killed.

I have stopped smoking, drinking and eating meat.. Everything I eat now is organic. I walk every morning with my wife and son. I think that I am on good way to strong health.
    I hear you about how animals are treated & killed—and I'm with you on this, despite being a very difficult one for me to follow as I still eat red meat, chicken & fish.

Sharing your morning walks with your family is so precious! Honestly, you could go back to eating meat, smoking ciggies & still be healthy (that's a joke, forgive me!!!)
    Renée

And you know what is the funniest thing of it all? I have studied for a butcher for 3 years, loved to fish.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I don't eat red meat just because I don't like it. As for Veal, even if I did like it, that is one thing I would not eat and don't let anyone sitting at a table with me eat either.

I can tell you though, when my dr did my latest blood work, he made mention that I have the typical blood of a vegetarian so be sure to supplement if you don't eat meat.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Quote Originally Posted by sunshiner View Post
    I don't eat red meat just because I don't like it. As for Veal, even if I did like it, that is one thing I would not eat and don't let anyone sitting at a table with me eat either.

I can tell you though, when my dr did my latest blood work, he made mention that I have the typical blood of a vegetarian so be sure to supplement if you don't eat meat.
    Yup, I take B12 every day. I used to feed Veals with a bottle of milk when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I was getting the B12 shots every week, but they gave me such bad headaches, so I switched to the daily vitamins, much better.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

I'm reducing meat intake but supplementing it with pea + brown rice protein. Can those help cover all the bases for a total vegetarian?
    Renée

And you know what is the funniest thing of it all? I have studied for a butcher for 3 years, loved to fish.
    From a butcher to a vegetarian...you've made quite a journey!
    Renée

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Beans and lentils are great for veggie protein but it still isn't the same as a small serving of meat.

You know what is funny.. It almost seems like someone has interest in us eating meat and junk. I bet that the healthcare cost would be way lower if all people were VEGAN.

Here is a the deal, I will start a blog and keep you posted on my health and what I eat. Lets see what happens to me in 1 year. I will then tell you how I feel etc.

actually being a vegan is dangerous, especially for children. We need dairy to grow and maintain our bones.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant View Post
    actually being a vegan is dangerous, especially for children. We need dairy to grow and maintain our bones.
    Is it dairy or calcium?

Quote Originally Posted by decorativeceilingtiles
    I bet that the healthcare cost would be way lower if all people were VEGAN.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant View Post
    I agree. Diet is one part of a bigger equation, yes, it plays a big part, but isn't the only determining factor in a person's health outcome. Genes, living/work environment, culture, personal outlook...there are many variables that contribute to one's well-being that can tip the balance.

Personally, I'm not a big "one-size-fits-all" fan, no matter what area of life, so while I can't agree with "if all people were vegan," I would say that "if we all took more responsibility for our health" rather than leaving it in the hands of doctors who generally offer you only pills as a solution. Even taking small steps can contribute greatly, eating ate less junk food, smaller meals throughout day, more greens & fruits, etc.

Thank you Milan for starting this thread and sharing your insights. I know there's several threads similar to this, and as we all know, the affiliate lifestyle can be notoriously unhealthy. It's taken its toll on me & I'm working my way back to creating a more balanced life. & yes, I've started with diet
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; March 9th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Renée

Is it dairy or calcium?
    Calcium, of course, just dairy like cheese or yogurt is a very good way to get calcium in your system. Veggies with calcium + a little dairy = more calcium than just veggies with calcium. :-)

Vegetarian that includes dairy (not vegan) is extremely healthy, but many people who go vegan just don't plan their diets well enough to get enough calcium and their bones start to go brittle. The vegetables that have the most calcium are the ones people (especially kids) don't like as much (like dark greens, some beans, some nuts, etc.)

Good point, I am at the point were I don't care as much about the taste but the benefit.

But you are right, it is hard for kids to do this.

I do Barley Max few times a day, Goji berries, Acai, Moringa, Spirulina, Maca and some otehr superfoods, hoping to get better health.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    I agree. Diet is one part of a bigger equation, yes, it plays a big part, but isn't the only determining factor in a person's health outcome. Genes, living/work environment, culture, personal outlook...there are many variables that contribute to one's well-being that can tip the balance.

Personally, I'm not a big "one-size-fits-all" fan, no matter what area of life, so while I can't agree with "if all people were vegan," I would say that "if we all took more responsibility for our health" rather than leaving it in the hands of doctors who generally offer you only pills as a solution. Even taking small steps can contribute greatly, eating ate less junk food, smaller meals throughout day, more greens & fruits, etc.

Thank you Milan for starting this thread and sharing your insights. I know there's several threads similar to this, and as we all know, the affiliate lifestyle can be notoriously unhealthy. It's taken its toll on me & I'm working my way back to creating a more balanced life. & yes, I've started with diet

Yes, you are right. I can not expect everyone to become Vegan. As you mentioned the most important thing is TAKING CHARGE.

See me when I take charge, I don't play arround with chaning Coke to diet coke or whole milk to skim. I just quit it.

But I would be much more happier to see chicken to have more space to run around and eat grass, so the egg they lay is a good egg and the chicken has a good time.

Even thought I do not eat eggs no more I was buying the most expesive eggs right before I quit, they taste better are healtier and the chicken has more fun.

If you want to eat meat, again I would love to see support to small farmers that respect the animals.

I don't think meat, eggs, dairy are necessary in our diets and we would be better off. But it starts with TAKING CHARGE.

Like I said, I will start a blog and will track my diet and excerise and in one year we see what happens. If I am feeling better, have a clearer thinking great, if not I will re-evaluate.

Glad to hear that you are on a diet, what diet ?

But I would be much more happier to see chicken to have more space to run around and eat grass, so the egg they lay is a good egg and the chicken has a good time.

Even thought I do not eat eggs no more I was buying the most expesive eggs right before I quit, they taste better are healtier and the chicken has more fun.
    The chicken probably has more fun in the European Union which has much stricter requirements for "free range." In the U.S., the federal laws only require access to the outside. This means chickens can go outside in a tiny pen with no grass & still be considered free range.
    Free range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Most expensive" doesn't automatically equal best. Learned from being in marketing/advertising that these costs are passed on to the consumer. The organic/natural foods suppliers are very savvy. There is almost a kneejerk reaction by consumers when buying organic foods who equate more expensive means better quality. Just ain't the truth.

Oops, for me, diet means "how I eat." I am incapable of following any diet, I simply add/delete/reduce intake of different foods and supplements. Like you, I am now taking green barley & maca. Maca did wonders for reducing perimenopausal symptoms for me. I stopped taking it for many years, now back on it. Green barley is amazing, also giving a tiny bit to my cat, he loves it.

Basically, just making fruit & green smoothies on a daily basis, starting out at 1-3 a day. Am finding I eat smaller meals otherwise as these are my "inbetween meals" & back to having 5-6 smaller meals throughout day.

I also quit drinking carbonated beverages (even seltzer) and milk on a regular basis two decades ago. However, 2-3 times a year, must have a root beer, so I go for it. Same goes for Girl Scout cookies. Love them but buy only 2-3 boxes a year. Same for kielbasa & ham...I'm part Polish and will never give those up. Again, just have them a few times a year, it's enough to satisfy any urges. Not permanently denying myself anything automatically reduces cravings for me.

On a more serious note, have one friend & a friend of my ex who is using vegan diets (plus other therapies) to deal with cancer. One had early cancerous cells in her uterus & didn't want radiation/chemo, even though several female family members died from this. Dealt with it with raw food diet plus other supplements. The acquaintance is in 4th stage breast cancer, was told this was "it." She found a doctor who put her on a pretty radical supplement regime as well as a mostly raw diet. This is costing her $1500+ a month, but she can afford it. A year later, she's still here. Struggling, but alive.

I'm going to follow Mark Twain's advice, "Everything in moderation, including moderation." There are times to take extreme action with health issues when traditional methods fail. Not that it always works, but if your doctor tells you to go home and "wrap up your affairs" are you going to simply comply?

Looking forward to reading your blog & know that you'll be feeling much better—in probably way less than a year. Best to you in your journey!
    Renée

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread