Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Is Wordpress the right way for blogging?
    Hi!

I have previously used KompoZer to build a website, but will be using WordPress since I want to constantly update my website about dating, and get it to search engine rankings. Is WordPress easy to use, implement, and live with?

Also, how do I post a website to a directory? I don't want to spend a lot on directories since I will take time instead to make my website filled with quality.

Thank you.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Wordpress is pretty good, easy to get started, tons of plugins, and free. Thats hard to beat.

If you have hosting why dont you go into your cpanel, then fantistico, then one click install wordpress on one of your domains that is empty? Mess around with it and see what you think. Change the theme, add maybe about 5 plugins post some pictures etc.

Good Luck

I agree with andbeyond. Wordpress is the way a lot of new sites get going. You will need to find a webhost and have a hosting account, the install is as simple as described above. One button install is available from most hosts that have cpanel, so be sure that your hosting account offers cpanel before you start.

There are lots of useful threads here at ABW to help you get started, right in the same forum where you posted this: Blogging - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum -spend some time reading through some of those treads and you will have everything you need to start out right.

Good luck.

Wordpress is excellent! It's easy to use and it's free. You could also easily ask for support if you encounter any problems with it since a lot of people use it.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

I meant to get to this part earlier today, but had to run, got a little time now so here goes.
    Also, how do I post a website to a directory? I don't want to spend a lot on directories since I will take time instead to make my website filled with quality.
    This needs a little clarification. If you have a website all built, you buy a domain, open a hosting account to host it and then ftp your files into the directory (usually public_html) of your domain. If you already have a hosting account and want to add a new site to the hosting, just buy another domain, point the domain to your hosting DNS and add a subdomain to your hosting account, then ftp to the new domain. Cost: under $15 a year. If you want to add a directory to an existing domain, this can be done in Control Panel of your hosting account or via ftp. Upload your files and link from your existing domain to the new directory. Your URL will need to use the paid domain name along with the directory name.

Need to know what you're trying to do to get useful help. If you're going with WP, you may not need to do any of this except the hosting and domain part.

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Wordpress is excellent! It's easy to use and it's free. You could also easily ask for support if you encounter any problems with it since a lot of people use it.
    Yes WP would be a good choice. But you may need to customize the template to your own for it has inbuilt dialogues and logos. Otherwise your site will not stand out in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    Wordpress is pretty good, easy to get started, tons of plugins, and free. Thats hard to beat.

If you have hosting why dont you go into your cpanel, then fantistico, then one click install wordpress on one of your domains that is empty? Mess around with it and see what you think. Change the theme, add maybe about 5 plugins post some pictures etc.

Good Luck
    I host my wordpress on seohosting.com and they boosted my serps pretty well. but i think it was more because of the seo plug-ins that i installed
    Last edited by 2busy; March 8th, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Unlinked URL

Thanks guys. I was just wondering as to how you would post your site to directories like google, and so forth. I know Yahoo charges $300, but was wondering what are some directories for beginners which is free, but through which people can search and find my website?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    You dont really need to post to any search engines or directories. Google is most of the market and it spiders automatically. In fact Wordpress will ping them when you make a new post.

Main thing is to turn off Privacy when you start it, add All in One SEO plugin, and maybe change the permalinks.

But just get started is the key. And then search here for more info or you can always Google:" (Problem) Wordpress" and you will get tons of help.

Outsourced Program Manager JeremyE's Avatar
    Yea I agree with the consensus here. If you're getting started, wordpress by far is the easiest to install and modify. In regards to getting into directories, I have always thought it's best to find directories in your niche and submit manually.

There are services that will auto submit to 100's of random directories, but imho I'd rather just be in a few higher quality directories that pertain to your specific niche.

In all honesty you'll gain exponentially more traffic from ranking in the search engines than clicks from directories anyways. I would look at your competitors websites and then using one of the SEO tools out there, see what directories they are in or where their links are coming from.
    Precious Metals - The Hottest New Affiliate Opportunity of 2011!

APMEX Affiliate Program

It's not free, but is one of the better directories worth the price: BOTW.org charges either $149/year or a one-time fee of $399. If you are in this for the long run, I would seriously consider getting into BOTW. They have frequent 20% Off sales, so I would contact them to get on the mailing list if you can hold out and want to save a few bucks. Another option is DMOZ. If you have some great original content on your blog, you should try to get it into DMOZ.org. That will send some serious link juice your way, and Google will love it. If you go with Wordpress, which I recommend like everyone else, go into "Settings" >> "Writing" and at the bottom there is a section called "Update Services". This is where you can add sites or ping services to notify whenever you publish a new post.

Wordpress is awesome, yuou can find plugins to do just about everything. I make it a rule that I never touch code, and so far I haven't had to with wordpress.

spend time looking for a good theme though. there are freee and paid options, but the free ones usually are not as easy to customize.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenAffMan View Post
    It's not free, but is one of the better directories worth the price: BOTW.org charges either $149/year or a one-time fee of $399. If you are in this for the long run, I would seriously consider getting into BOTW.
    I would strongly advise against this and save your money. It's far more profitable to focus on writing interesting posts and to participate on related blogs. You're in this one new subscriber at a time. As you build up your community the links will come naturally. Any link directory will only make Google aware of your site, but it won't do anything to help your ranking. Their ranking algorithm cares about the frequency and quality of links, so if you get a couple links a week consistently you'll gain far more authority than a one time $399 link. Plus, Google even frowns upon paid links and even reduces authority in some cases. So this sort of practice could even hurt you. The best thing you can do is write quality articles that captivate your audience and encourage discussion.

Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yes I do believe that wordpress is the best way to go. I LOVE wordpress. Avoid blogger made by google and typepad. I've had typepad. I'm actually moving my typepad content over to a wordpress blog. I get the most traffic from my wordpress blogs.

Wordpress is great. Tons of plugins, thousand of themes. You can't go wrong with wordpress.

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Wordpress is all I use and all I recommend after working with several different CMS Systems. There are a couple of free directory plugins and a couple of paid ones. I am using one on a WP site I think it was called Link Library...it is pretty good for a basic directory.

Jill

Wordpress is easy to begin with.Lot of plugins are available.Lot of free/paid themes available.

WordPress is one of the best CMS (content management systems) out there...

Its free, so their no hassle of paying to obtain a license or such - big community full of experts to answer wide range of support topics

Its pretty much optimized for S.E.O (search engine optimization)
    But still, you will find tons of free/paid pluggins to enhance its s.e.o friendliness further

I would say you must go with it and give it a shot!
    Last edited by Prodigal; March 29th, 2011 at 04:44 AM.

I ditto what everyone said, Wordpress is easy to use and easy to learn. It is highly customizable with tons of themes, widgets, plug-ins to choose from.
    Last edited by 2busy; April 22nd, 2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: removed link drop

Quote Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post
    Avoid blogger made by google and typepad. .
    I agree wholeheartedly with the comments on Wordpress, but what do you have against Blogger which I also use in tandem with Wordpress. Blogger is also free and has lots of good features. I also thought it was favoured by Google.

One great Wordpress theme I use is Flexibility 3, it is also free.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenAffMan View Post
    Another option is DMOZ. If you have some great original content on your blog, you should try to get it into DMOZ.org.
    Does DMOZ still have the gravitas it once enjoyed. I have had a few negative vibes recently and I understand it has such a huge back load very few sites are being indexed.

What do others think

but what do you have against Blogger
    Blogger has been known to remove your content if they disagree or don't want it published. Even from Blogger that is privately hosted. One of the first rules of building a site is to make sure who owns the content you create. If it is created in Blogger you do not own it.

Re: DMOZ Read the fine print, they do not accept affiliate sites. If you want to get in DMOZ build the site without any links and apply. It may take years but if you have added affiliate links they will not add it. (According to their terms; sometimes a DMOZ editor will let them slip in unnoticed. DMOZ is humanly edited and subject to the interpretations and errors of humans.)

Quote Originally Posted by jmpruitt75 View Post
    Wordpress is awesome, yuou can find plugins to do just about everything. I make it a rule that I never touch code, and so far I haven't had to with wordpress.
    I am looking to create Meta Tags for my Wordpress site and most of the you tube videos recommend either All in one SEO plug in or SEO platinum all in one. however, there is one that directs you to a "Meta Tag Generator" site that creates code to be inserted in the Header section of the Editor.

To my simple mind the latter is a better solution as it is more permanent because the plug ins appear to put in tags for separate postings. However, my views appears to be at variance with the general consensus so am I missing some important points.

To automate your title, keywords and description meta tags use WP SEO by Yoast. It is far superior to either of those mentioned - and I paid for All-in-One. Things evolve.

25. Thanks From:

What could be better than well programmed and stable CMS software full of SEO?

WordPress is the most used CMS in the world, it's easy and there is a load of supporters and huge community behind it!

This is why WorPress is on the top of my list!

For hosting, I suggest to start with shared hosting like HostGator or BlueHost, both are running well and good price for starters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast