Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    From http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/11/10...?tid=95&tid=17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Netcraft seems to have a little ditty about new rules from ICANN that take effect on Friday making it easier to hijack domain names. Essentially, if someone tries to take your domain, and you don't answer within 5 days, they now assume you are okay with the transfer. Previously, the default answer was no, and you had to explicitly state your acceptance of the domain transfer. Owners of small domains, beware: no more computerless vacations that last more than 4 days at a time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also at WMW if you're registered.

Scary stuff.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    GoDaddy's blurb is even scarier.....it doesn;t even mention the 5 days you have to approve any transfers.

From November 8-10, we are sending an email to all domain customers informing you of a new domain transfer policy, enforced by ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). This policy dictates that we must honor any transfer requests, even if you do not personally confirm them. To prevent unauthorized transfers, lock your domains. This service is free and takes only a minute.

ABW Ambassador
    Why would ICANN make it easy for people to steal domain names?

$$$$$$$

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    Why would ICANN make it easy for people to steal domain names? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the Fortune 500's they exclusively serve dont get pissed off at them.

ABW Ambassador
    Someone explain it to me like I'm blonde

ABW Ambassador
    I am confused, how will locking your domain do anything? From what ICANN is saying, the current registrar is powerless to stop the transfer.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    No, if your domain is locked, then no transfers can take place, nor can any other changes be made (name servers, name changes, etc) until the domain is unlocked and that can only be done by the owner of the domain (or someone else who has access to the account).

How does one go about locking a domain?? My understaning is I bought it I own it.

Thanks,
    Thanks,
    Doug

http and a telephoto
    On enom I have registrar lock on all my domains as I set them up. But it is a registrar lock, not a transfer ownership lock. So is someone confusing the 2 terms?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

In case anyone is confused, it is transfer between registrars, not transfer from one person to another.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

LOL! You guys had me stressed out! I have a couple of high-value names that others want and I am always on the alert.

This new rule at ICANN is to enable the DOMAIN OWNER to transfer from one registrar to another...not to allow someone to take your domain name.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    We need a chicken little icon.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abu Gabby:
    LOL! You guys had me stressed out! I have a couple of high-value names that others want and I am always on the alert.

This new rule at ICANN is to enable the DOMAIN OWNER to transfer from one registrar to another...not to allow someone to take your domain name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're deluding yourself if you think this can't be used to hijack domains.

Lock down your domains and do not go on holiday for more than 4 days in a row.

ICANN has spoken.

ABW Ambassador
    But the problem arises if you do not keep all your whois up to date. Previously when a record was requested to transfer and the email was invalid - it would just stop the transfer. That is no longer the case, that is the issue.

I have some 300 domains at some 7 registrars. Not all allow an easy way to modify the contacts so it is a pain and I am sure a few are out of sync now.

My solution is to transfer them all into one pace that allows global updates and locking.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wyvern:
    GoDaddy's blurb is even scarier.....it doesn;t even mention the 5 days you have to approve any transfers.

From November 8-10, we are sending an email to all domain customers informing you of a new domain transfer policy, enforced by ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). This policy dictates that we must honor any transfer requests, even if you do not personally confirm them. To prevent unauthorized transfers, lock your domains. This service is free and takes only a minute. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got this email from Godaddy, exerpt:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Valued Go Daddy Customer,

Effective November 12, 2004, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will institute a new transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers.

The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy removes that protection. Starting November 12, when we receive a request to transfer your domain name to a new registrar, we will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you authorized the request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond within 5 days, your domain name WILL be transferred.

With this change in mind, we are recommending that all Go Daddy domain customers visit GoDaddy.com and "lock" their domain name(s). Locking your domain(s) is free and prevents unauthorized changes to contacts and name servers. Most importantly, it prevents the domain name from being transferred to another registrar without your knowledge. You may lock or unlock your domain at any time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    We need a chicken little icon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

or
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I am glad ICANN has done this. You guys wouldn't beleive how many registers go out of business daily and domain owners are screwed if they have to ever change the nameservers or renew the domain. Sometimes redemption periods go on for 6 months even longer.

Also a lot of crappy host out there sell domains to users and when a user wants to leave that host they don't like to transfer or change the nameservers for them.

Can anybody recommend a reliable registrar that allows domains to be "locked". My domains are registered with register.com and they do not allow the locking of domains.

JJJay, I use Namecheap who are an eNom reseller who are very good and offer a .com for $8.88 per year, with some quite nice management tools.

This thing is a site hijacker's paradise. It's incredibly stupid, and it doesn't offer anything for the consumer at all. A bad registrar you're trying to transfer out of could simply place the domain on lock and the whole system is useless.

More likely, we'll see the following things happen:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Requests for transfer confirmation or rejection will get chewed up in spam filters (WHOIS records are a common source of addresses for spammers, and autogenerated notices are notorious for getting stuck in filters).
    <LI>Many semi-abandoned domains will be hijacked. These are domains that maybe have some pagerank but are no longer maintained and would die a natural death otherwise.
    <LI>Some major sites and corporations will get hijacked because of the usual corporate bureaucracy which means they'll never quite get round to locking the domain and not realise they have to now explicitly REJECT the transfer requests.
    <LI>Some registrars won't get around to offering the lock facility in time, and sometimes people go on holiday.[/list]

I can see this being a huge disaster.

Added: all someone would need need to do is write a script that queries a list of domains in turn to find out what isn't registrar locked, and then send the contact address an email to see if it bounces. Then they have a big list of domains they can steal.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I can see that NETorious Hong Kong domain squater and expired traffic hijacker adding another 80,000 domains to his total. Template PPCSE directory sites poping up all over the SERP listings.

Good News the exec's at Network Solutions verified all their domains were locked down yesterday to prevent any hijacking ownership. Bad news is my clients at other registrar sites all have to be notified. Most of them change e-mail addresses and ISP like I change socks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

What a pain in the butt!

Locking was easy enough at GoDaddy, but MyDomain is a one at a time horror, and that's just the first two registrars...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

yup. but I was fortunate, didn't have many at mydomain. domainaway was a one-shot for all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    Can anybody recommend a reliable registrar that allows domains to be "locked". My domains are registered with register.com and they do not allow the locking of domains. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JJ,
    I'm sure there are a few people here that are resellers for Godaddy (myself included) that you could transfer to.

I know I saw a banner for Haiko's reseller program a while ago but I haven't seen it up for a while. You could just use his link to it at the top of the forums..

So if an example rei do not lock their domain it can get hijacked, I would think ICANN would be heading into so lawsuits becasue people have paid to own the domain.

Now I am cjecking my domain everyday becasue I am so freaked out.

Haiko:

Standing chicken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast