Does Commission Junction Permit Cookie Dropping?
    I was wondering if Commission Junction allows the practice of cookie stuffing? I am not an affiliate. Nor do I intend to use such practices. But I found a situation were a prominent person in the webhosting business is using this tactic. Any input would be most helpful to me. Thank you!

I am new here so I don't even know if I am putting this post in the right spot? If not someone please move it to the proper place.

15 years and counting
    I was wondering if Commission Junction allows the practice of cookie stuffing?
    It's not allowed but they were too dumb to notice anything for years. See by example:
    Digital Point Solutions Responds To eBay’s Cookie Stuffing Allegations with Mud Slinging | ReveNews
    It can go pretty far.
    I found a situation were a prominent person in the webhosting business is using this tactic.
    This person is taking advantage of you and other affiliates. Are you going to let him/her steal your hard earned commissions? It's up to you to report that person to CJ if you know for a fact they are cookie stuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    It's up to you to report that person to CJ if you know for a fact they are cookie stuffing.
    Actually, if you have strong reasons for suspicion wouldn't that be sufficient? Even if you aren't absolutely positive, reporting it so that it can be investigated is probably a good thing. CJ should review the situation, and determine the appropriate action confirming whether the claim is accurate or not.

I think generally the public's responsibility is to report things when something wrong is going on, while the program's responsibility is to uphold their terms and take due diligence ensuring everyone is playing by the rules.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; March 9th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.

15 years and counting
    Don't you remember that some of CJ and LS top performers and award winners were also cookie stuffers?

If suspicion was an acceptable reason for reporting an affiliate's site, our competitors would be having folks file reports all day. There needs to be proof before most networks will go to the trouble of checking, and a prominent cheat may be given a pass (based on networks' past behavior). The public is unlikely to spot a cookie stuffer, nor know or care what/why it happened.

Don't you remember that some of CJ and LS top performers and award winners were also cookie stuffers?
    Nope. Fortunately you did because I haven't been around the affiliate scene for long. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If suspicion was an acceptable reason for reporting an affiliate's site, our competitors would be having folks file reports all day. There needs to be proof before most networks will go to the trouble of checking, and a prominent cheat may be given a pass (based on networks' past behavior). The public is unlikely to spot a cookie stuffer, nor know or care what/why it happened.
    Makes sense putting it like that.

Unfortunately, it appears that there are some networks that [still] actually condone [a certain amount of] "cheating."

I put cheating in quotes - because it may be called by some - stealing, thievery, chicanery, etc...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Actually, if you have strong reasons for suspicion wouldn't that be sufficient? Even if you aren't absolutely positive, reporting it so that it can be investigated is probably a good thing. CJ should review the situation, and determine the appropriate action confirming whether the claim is accurate or not.

I think generally the public's responsibility is to report things when something wrong is going on, while the program's responsibility is to uphold their terms and take due diligence ensuring everyone is playing by the rules.
    It's up to you to report that person to CJ if you know for a fact they are cookie stuffing.
    I have screen recordings of the cookie stuffing taking place. How would I go about reporting it to CJ?

Would I be out of line to show this forum community what I have found?

Quote Originally Posted by crazypenguin View Post
    I have screen recordings of the cookie stuffing taking place. How would I go about reporting it to CJ?

Would I be out of line to show this forum community what I have found?
    I catch and ban cookie stuffers on occassion on a site of mine, but never followed it up further than that (the stuffer's focus was unrelated to that of the site).

I'd be very interested in how to go about presenting what you see and reporting it to the proper people also. Probably not worth my time to do it, but I hate dirty tactics and would like to report it for the sake of principle if I knew how.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    People define "cookie stuffing" all different ways, so whether or not what you saw is against CJ's TOS depends on exactly what is happening.

If it is hidden forced clicks, then it is against CJ's TOS. If you are a merchant, you would use your merchant interface for Fraud reports to report it. If you are an affiliate, you would report it through CJ's Help Desk.

If what you saw isn't for your merchant program, then you could also report it to the AM of the program impacted.

Never mind.
    Last edited by rematt; March 10th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    LOL Rematt...going to check my PMs

CrazyPenguin submitted some evidence here that was held in moderation. This evidence appears to be valid (Kellie took a look and I did too) and should be brought to CJ's attention. We don't want to post the evidence until CJ has it or it would only serve to warn the perp. Watch for it soon in an Unethical Affiliates Thread near you.

An email has been sent to CJ with my findings. I am waiting for a response from them.

My quick look earlier today was a look at the .swf files submitted and those files do show evidence of cookie stuffing. The problem is that this activity is not happening when you visit the site either by typing in the URL or by clickthrough from organic search results. No CJ cookies are set by replicating the moves in the flash video. The source code shown in the screenshots is not found on the site and page in question.

ABW is interested in outing unethical affiliates (and merchants for that matter) but can't take part in damaging a reputation where the evidence cannot be repeated or verified on examination.

16. Thanks From:

I sent you a PM. The practice of cookie stuffing can still be seen in Google cache.

Any evidence you have should be turned over to CJ. They will tell you the same thing, to take an action on an allegation they need to be able to observe it. Networks generally want to verify an activity exists before they take action on it. If someone were making accusations against you, you would appreciate that detail. Your question is whether CJ permits cookie stuffing. They may not permit it, but they need to observe it to do anything about it. Give CJ all the information you have and they may be able to detect some evidence.

IMO reporting something like this to CJ would feel kind of like reporting a police brutality incident to the desk sergeant at the local precinct. I'd be more inclined to report it to the affected merchant first and let them know how they are being burned.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thank you for the advice.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread