Coupon Plugin
    For those of you who use wordpress in your site building. I thought some of you might like an input on this. I am half way through the development of a new plugin for wordpress which will allow a person to run a coupon/deal based site or a section on their site for coupons. Think retail me not and you will have an idea of what I have in mind.

well i wanted to know if there are any suggestions of features/options you think it would definately be useful having

Even if you dont use wordpress but think it might be useful to others, what would be 1 or 2 things you would want to make sure it would allow a person to do

thanks folks and I hope it will help others who might not be so techy inclined
    Last edited by easylife; March 11th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Anyone care to suggest a few things?

Even if you dont use wordpress but think it might be useful to others, what would be 1 or 2 things you would want to make sure it would allow a person to do
    Somehow try to make it different from the gazillion other cookie-cutter coupon sites out there.

Sorry, don't mean to sound so negative but, as a (growing) merchant with a popular program we are seeing so many coupon sites that all look the same. Unfortunately NONE (well, very, very few of them) of them seem to be making any real progress.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Somehow try to make it different from the gazillion other cookie-cutter coupon sites out there.

Sorry, don't mean to sound so negative but, as a (growing) merchant with a popular program we are seeing so many coupon sites that all look the same. Unfortunately NONE (well, very, very few of them) of them seem to be making any real progress.
    I didn't know you had become a merchant? Is your program girlychecks i thought that was run by heather blackburn who handles carousel checks?

I dont think there are many ways to present coupons. There is one thing to say try something different and another to suggest what differences you are referring to?
    Last edited by easylife; March 13th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Yes, Girly Checks is our program. One of those small-world things is that Heather was in management with 4Checks when I sold my first checks as an affiliate of theirs. Heather is a creative and talented person in the affiliate markeinting industry. She left 4Checks long before they moved from SAS to GAN. I actually introduced Heather to the owner of Carousel (their plant does our printing and fulfillment) at ASW10 in Vegas. Carousel, of course, now has a program at AvantLink and Heather has her own program at LinkShare (just opened there) but, in a way, we are all part of the same family. (Keep an eye us at ASE11. )

My comment about the coupons...was not meant to be a jab. But it is true that we have seen a ton of coupon sites join up - and none are doing well. Most have never made a sale. It seems many people are buying a "script" and installing it with hopes of making easy money. Unfortunately, they are being sold a bill of goods - especially with the Big G clamping down on dupe content.

However the coupon sites that do well are either old and well-established - or - have MORE than just the coupon display.

I believe a coupon site can do well, but it needs a hook and some "very" original content on the home page and several interior pages. Instead on everything being database-driven from the home page install, it could be (should be?) segmented - to force webmasters to create individual pages for "categories" of coupons - with some cool narrative about what each category contains, yadda...yadda...yadda.

If nothing is different on myriad sites how are they going to be distinguishable in the search engines? Many of those cookie-cutters do make a few initial sales - likely to friends and family. Unfortunately most circles of friends at way too small to provide an income.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill, do you see features as a good way to differentiate coupon sites? I know there are some around which allow visitors to vote up or down individual postings based on the quality of the coupon or visitor interest. Handy features like that which present social input to other visitors kinda develops a value-added sort of aspect beyond just presenting the coupons, which could help differentiate as well as highlight popular coupons (that hopefully convert better). I would think it would help getting the traffic in the right places.

However, with an average or new affiliate site, I would imagine developing "critical mass" for that sort of things to work in practice could be unrealistic unless traffic is higher than I would imagine is average.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread