I visit a few other forums and one discussion in general caught my eye.

The discussion was about using "Internet Marketing" tactics that are employed by the "get-rich-quick" guru's.

1.)Using a one-page sales letter to get a visitor to sign up for their mailing list before sending them to the main site.

2.)Using a fly-in or drop-in ad to get a visitor's e-mail address by offering something free - like an e-book.

3.)Using testimonials in the sales copy.

4.)Limiting the availability of a product "Order NOW before the price goes up!" to generate a sense of urgency.

Do any of you use these tactics? I read that "the money's in the list" and that I should be getting e-mail addresses and mailing the subscribers offers.

So far, I'm not trying to build a subscriber list, mainly because I offer affiliate products and don't have a product of my own.

Do these tactics work in the general affiliate sales area versus the high-pressure "buy-my-book-now-or-you'll-regret-it" marketing field?

Do you use any of these tactics? And, if so, could you experienced affiliate sales folks toss us rank amateurs a bone or two?

I've been trying hard, but seem to be missing something to generate sales and clicks. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Don't be alarmed, I am not going to give you the answer.

However, I know exactly what you are saying.

We also need to try some different techniques on our new websites because we too cannot get the traffic, or the sales that we fully expect either.... call us naive?

We are right here with you on this question!

We too would love to get some crumbs from the experts tables and some good tid-bits from the gurus on how to get more visitors, more click-thru's and especially more sales.... After all, it's for their products and a little boost would help... right?

ABW Ambassador
    The reason why this crap works for its purveyors is that they get such mass exposure; millions upon millions of "eyeballs".

Even if only one in a million prospects bites the bait, the perp makes money.

Here's the nittygritty though. How many of these folks, who we don't know, and who don't know us, find their way into our email boxes (and our US Mail boxes before the advent of the internet) with their stories and schemes about how they got rich and we can too.

But how many people who we do know, and who do know us, have ever "gotten rich quick" with some effortless scheme?

It's a sad day for the human race when somebody is soft enough in the head to sign up for some GRQ scheme, even if it's only one in a million.

As far as the using the "pressure tactics" for "legitimate" use, any person who has such low regard for another person's human dignity that they will try to pressure them into buying something instead of making their own decision, belongs in the bottom of the same barrel as the unscrupulous schemers.

On the examples shown above:

1) A turn-off for most people.

2)Another turn-off. And even if it gets somebody to sign for your list, if they weren't interested enough to do it on their own without such prodding, then they are not a good prospect anyway.

3) Nobody believes them any more. Nobody. If the product or service cannot speak for itself, most shoppers recognize/regard testimonials as a desperate bid to sway their decision. A definite insult to their intelligence.

4) The approach is important. "$10 off, offer expires month/day/year" is good. People can put one and one together and make their own informed decision. "Buy it now or else" is perceived as high-pressure pitch; another insult to the intelligence.

ABW Ambassador
    The real key to success is simply to have the right item at the right price. Nothing more and nothing less.

Yes the above tactics work to some degree with mass exposure, but in the case of limited exposure (several hundred to several thousand "eyeballs" a day) you would serve yourself better to spend your time and energy finding more of the right prospects rather than trying to convince those who are not yet ready or interested in making a purchase for the product or service offered.

A site with the right following can get good use out of a captive mailing list, but it can be a battle building it.

Forcing people to sign up via a popup or gateway page won't necessarily bring in who you want.

After all that, if you're putting out a newsletter it had better be useful to them.

Ditto as BC.

Those tactics might have worked few years ago when they were few bunch of them. But now if search for the the term like "Get Rich Quick" you get hundreds of thousands of results with the same pitch, 1 page website with same kind of letter and hundreds of testimonials and forcing the end user to buy instantly as the 50% off offer is going to expire by midnight. How many times one can fool an end user? Now people are well aware of the scams and it doesnt take long before the hit the back button.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ahmar,

I never thought of searching for that but, since you mentioned, I just Googled that "Get Rich Quick" and this is the actual results:

Results 1 - 10 of about 437,000 for "Get Rich Quick". (0.21 seconds)

WOW........

ABW Ambassador

Thats not all Sal, if you search for similar terms you will get few thousands results more.

Sad part is people who get caught with these kind of things those who are desperately looking to increase their household income.
    I wouldnt say all of them are scams, few of them do give you good ideas to start your alternative way of earning. One can get the idea and work on it to earn a decent income. But one thing for sure is sites promising to make millions fortnight are a big no no.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I prefer to stay out of the way and get the customer to the item they want as quickly and effortlessly as possible. That's what works for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I give em coupons

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm just surprised people still think this type of guerilla marketing works. You might make a few bucks, but then you might make a few bucks selling Amway.

Thanks to all that replied.

I did glean one pearl -
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The approach is important. "$10 off, offer expires month/day/year" is good. People can put one and one together and make their own informed decision. "Buy it now or else" is perceived as high-pressure pitch; another insult to the intelligence.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

General sales psychology suggests that most people can't resist a bargain, real or implied. The "$10 off, offer expires month/day/year" tactic would seeem to be a good one.

I've seen folks use this tactic combined with a javascript that refreshes the date automatically every day, so the "expiring offer" never does... it just creates a sense of urgency or missing out on a bargain.

Look at all the brick and mortar "going out of business" sales that never do. Or the automobile companies "0% financing to qualified buyers" that never are qualified, except at a higher interest rate.

Personally, I think that these tactics are probably highly successful, given the number of advertisers that use them.

What do you think?

Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Personally, I think that these tactics are probably highly successful, given the number of advertisers that use them.

What do you think? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are going to end up arguing with everyone who disagrees
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Personally, I think that these tactics are probably highly successful, given the number of advertisers that use them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which advertisers use an expiration date that keeps rolling over?

And why are you so interested in it? Even if it does work do you think this is the key to massive, life-changing profits?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick K.:
    Look at all the brick and mortar "going out of business" sales that never do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG - that made me think about a local biz that had a "going out of business - fire sale" that went on for years - lol.

I think the more important questions is - what kind of person do you want to be, be known as - an honest one or a cheat?
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Which advertisers use an expiration date that keeps rolling over?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seeing many of those in Click Bank, one big sales page and with a coded script that most of the time read, buy it before midnight (today's date) and save this much or get these extra bonuses, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    I've always looked at all that as just crap.

I put a newsletter subscription box on the bottom of each page, and get about a 0.5% signup rate. It doesn't sound a lot, but you can soon get a large mailing list built up.

If I think a product is genuinely going to sell out quickly, then I say so in my newsletter, but that's about all the pressure selling I do.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

My personal opinion, I don't like all the junk mails that endup in my email box or US mail post box.
    When I don't like it myself, I will not do it to others.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread