Warning to all affiliate marketers
    Hi,
    My name is Dan, Before I get to the actual point of this message, I will give you some related background information about me, well I have been in the affiliate marketing niche since 2009 in that time, I have promoted some particularly dodgy websites, you know those weight loss sites you find when you Google for weight loss which guarantee weightless? Well one of those was mine… until recently this dodgy marketing strategy was working fine, I had had the odd Google advert removed but not much else until I got this letter, from the ASA (Advertising Standards Agency), apparently someone had complained about me to the ASA because of the dodgy products from clickbank I was promoting, at first I thought nothing of it and in fact binned the letter but I got another and when I contacted them I realised it was serious really serious, luckily for me I got a good lawyer and managed to reach an agreement for an undisclosed sum, but you may not be so lucky…..

The Moral of the story:
    1. Follow Advertising rules yourself
    2. DO NOT promote products which do not follow advertising rules (misleading, unsubstantiated claims, yes you know the type!)

You might think I’m full of hot air, and that’s up to you, If I had seen this post and not been their myself i would have probably thought the same, but if even one of you read the ASA cap code guidelines and learn from my mistakes, the point of this post will have been achieved, and yes this post sounds like typical marketing rubbish, but what do you expect I am a full time marketer after all, YES I quit my job late 2009 to do this full time, hell I have made too much money to give it up and there is nothing wrong with affiliate marketing as long as you are careful and follow the ASA Guidelines, you can find the 100+ pages of Official Guidelines full of legal jargon (CAP Code - Committee of Advertising Practice), it’s up to you but please make sure you read something and follow the rules like I will from now on.

Regards,
    Dan Brown
    Last edited by 2busy; March 13th, 2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Removed squeezepage

2. DO NOT promote products which do not follow advertising rules (misleading, unsubstantiated claims, yes you know the type!)

That will be sites just like the OP squeeze page i suspect!

Saw this post pop up in the UK too - i have no doubt his lawyer is as fictitious as the undisclosed settlement reached!

ASA is a UK thing and basically says, do not say - what you cannot offer! Do that and you stay within the guidelines.

(I suspect thats the last we will see of Mr Brown!)

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by ewh View Post

Well i don’t know what you guys are seeing, but the link that was removed was not my site, and was not an affiliate link, it was just a link to a site which has the 100+ page guidelines summarised with the legal jargon removed.

Saw this post pop up in the UK too - i have no doubt his lawyer is as fictitious as the undisclosed settlement reached!

ASA is a UK thing and basically says, do not say - what you cannot offer! Do that and you stay within the guidelines.

If it was one of my squeeze pages, then this would have to be a post about weight loss, sexual health etc.... which it’s not, I was really just trying to help you guys but you can believe this is fictitious if you want, hell It doesn’t affect my life in anyway but i really suggest you read the guidelines because it’s not, and you seem to be very misguided about the ASA, and the new enhanced guidelines that where introduced recently.

The only thing you are correct about in your reply is they are a UK organisation, which is correct but all countries have advertising standards, so you still need to be careful.

ABW Ambassador

Well i don’t know what you guys are seeing, but the link that was removed was not my site, and was not an affiliate link, it was just a link to a site which has the 100+ page guidelines summarised with the legal jargon removed.

If it was one of my squeeze pages, then this would have to be a post about weight loss, etc.... which it’s not, I was really just trying to help you guys but you can believe this is fictitious if you want, hell It doesn’t affect my life in anyway but i really suggest you read the guidelines because it’s not, and you seem to be very misguided about the ASA, and the new enhanced guidelines that where introduced recently.

The only thing you are correct about in your reply is they are a UK organisation, which is correct but all countries have advertising standards, so you still need to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team View Post
    Wow you know how to google, congrats, yes i posted it on a couple of sites, i was just trying to help other affiliate/internet marketers avoid the hassle i had, but hey believe what you want, its not like i make a single penny out of helping you anyway.
    Last edited by DanBrown1944; March 13th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.

Although Dan says he is an affiliate who was promoting dodgy products, I'm sure he did not realize that the link was for an affiliate's condensed ebook version of the rules. That is why he is so grateful that we saved him from the embarrassing position of promoting a product that might not comply with the rules. Dan was just trying to save other dodgy affiliates the trouble of reading through
    the 100+ pages of Official Guidelines full of legal jargon
    . That's why he didn't get banned on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DanBrown1944 View Post
    * * * You might think I’m full of hot air * * *
    So "Dan Brown" is warning us about the pitfalls of posting links to dodgy squeeze pages promoting dubious ClickBank products -- and he wants to selflessly help us by posting a link to a dodgy squeeze page promoting a dubious ClickBank product.

Hot air, yes. Useful post, no. Useful link, no. Honest, no.
    Last edited by markwelch; March 13th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    That's why he didn't get banned on the spot.
    I vote to ban him. If not for being stupid than for thinking that we are!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Last edited by BurgerBoy; March 13th, 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

10. Thanks From:

This is really concerned affiliate marketers while they market the products which has no guarantee at all. A proper disclaimer message at the sales page footer and terms of use before navigate to the sales page will helps better from being biased.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread