AT&T Implementing Nationwide Broadband Caps
    Flipping AT&T, they are the black hole of suck...

AT&T is planning to send out letters next week notifying subscribers about a coming broadband cap of 150 GB per month for DSL subscribers and 250 GB per month for U-verse subscribers, says company spokesman Seth Bloom in an interview at SXSW. The company says that the move will affect less than 2 percent of its customers, and customers who go over the cap will pay $10 for each 50 GB bucket of data.
    http://gigaom.com/broadband/sxsw-bum...roadband-caps/
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 14th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I was on Hughes net for years because the only alternative was incredibly slow and unreliable dial up. The local phone co. finally put DSL in my area and suddenly I am able to view videos without fear of being put offline. I am sorry to hear that the idea of limiting bandwidth is spreading. If you end up stuck in that situation, I found that browsing with images off gave me lots more spare bandwidth to juggle.

At least they let you buy more if you need it. Hughes net just turns off your service until daily average falls within their specs. Automatic updates are out of the question and need to be scheduled during "unlimited" hours of 2-6 AM. Bandwidth limits are like invisible boundaries that change your browsing habits and severely lessen the appeal of videos. If At&T does it, watch for others to follow suit.

I was not too sure about how fast 150 GB per month for DSL subscribers would be used but, after I read more info from two links of that site, I think I don't have to worry about that limit too much, for now...
    Comcast uses examples of some services and what you can do with the 250 GB limit.
    250 GB per month is an extremely large amount of data, much more than a typical residential customer uses on a monthly basis. Currently, the median monthly data usage by our residential customers is approximately 2 3 GB. To put 250 GB of monthly usage in perspective, a customer would have to do any one of the following:
    Send 50 million emails (at 0.05 KB/email)
    Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
    Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
    Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo) Source: Comcast Metered Broadband Official
    October 25, 2010
    Highlights of the Cisco VNI Usage Results
    The average broadband connection generates 14.9 GB of Internet traffic per month, up from 11.4 GB per month last year, an increase of 31 percent1. Source: Cisco Visual Networking Index: Usage Study* [Visual Networking Index] - Cisco Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    I was not too sure about how fast 150 GB per month for DSL subscribers would be used but, after I read more info from two links of that site, I think I don't have to worry about that limit too much, for now...
    By in large, R+D on my website accounts for most of my bandwidth usage. My website database is 50GB compressed and I download it once or twice a month for local R+D. Netflix streaming probably accounts for the second largest chunk. I'd say we watch 5-10 hours of HD Video a week. Not sure what comes next, but I think it is either non-hd video or Pandora music streaming, although general web surfing has to be huge as well.

I will be very interested to see the bandwidth usage stats. I suspect that I will go past the 250GB u-verse cap, primarily because of the large amount of data I'm constantly downloading and debugging.
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 14th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Tax Paying Member
    Looks like they are experimenting with limiting bandwidth. If this move is accepted (and it will be) the door is open to lowering the threshold in the future.

If they have 50G in excess to sell for another 10 bucks, then the capacity is already there. Seems to me to be a price hike for top end users.

We will be seeing tier pricing.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Flipping AT&T, they are the black hole of suck...
    Uh huh. Well said
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I agree that the limits will come down and the prices will go up.

Hopefully technology will progress to a point where we will have more options for getting a quality connection to the internet.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think this is a move to improve profit margins as more and more people are streaming movies via their xbox, wii, etc.

Not sure if there are new compression methods in the pipeline to help with the data transfer

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Apple chose AT&T for the iPhone because they had the largest international network. The bad thing about it was they suck in the US and are the worse where I live. The iPhone enabled users to download much more than any previous smart phone. There was talk last year of AT&T restricting usage for iPhone users but now Verizon offers iPhone service. I guess it wasn't enough to spare the rest of the backbone for Internet users. Seems assbackwards these days when everyone else is increasing download speed.

Now that you brought up Verizon.. this reminds me of VZW changing their international data plan. We were overseas a few times and in January, it was still unlimited data for $70 a month prorated. Then, we went to Europe in February, and the plan was changed to $100 / month for 70 mb prorated. After running the calculations with the tech rep, I figured I could have my phone on for 6 hours before I hit my prorated mb allowance for the 10 days. And If I did it normally on the same pace, it would have cost me about $1,500 for the 10 days. I believe they were charging $25 / mb over your allowance. And that's without using Google Maps constantly like I do when traveling. So, I pretty much didn't turn my data on the whole time I was overseas except when I had a local SIM card to use. It seems everyone is reigning in on data.

Not sure why this is so offensive. It is directed at a small percentage of uber-high end users. If we see internet service as a utility -- if you use more water/electricity/etc. you pay more.

No doubt as people start streaming more 1080p movies etc. on a regular basis this will effect a greater % of users; but then again you will be able to get rid of your $150 cable bill.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post

No doubt as people start streaming more 1080p movies etc. on a regular basis this will effect a greater % of users;
    but then again you will be able to get rid of your $150 cable bill.
    How?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

disclaimer: our family doesn't use cable/dish/etc.

that said... in the context of the trade-off between possibly higher internet fees due to streaming 1080p movies (the hypothetical scenario as above)... i am assuming people use cable largely for TV shoes and movies which are becoming more & more accessible via services like itunes, netflix, hulu, redbox (in progress), amazon prime, etc. so a raise of internet fees to cover higher bandwidth if someone chooses to use these services heavily could be offset by not needing to pay a cable bill to watch much of the same.

150GB is like using 5GB a day of bandwidth. This is more than enough unless you also use your line for VoIP calls too then all of a sudden watching Youtube and downloading movies would make you think about your cap.
    Last edited by thomasv; March 29th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread