What motivates an affiliate to promote a product, besides high commissions?
    Hi!

I’d like to know what motivates an affiliate to decide promoting a new product, besides receiving high commissions.

Of course, you want to sell an expensive product so that you may make a lot of money in each sale.

You also want to sell an in-demand product (and not something that nobody cares about).

You also want to sell a product you trust; a product that will surely make your customers happy, so that they may easily purchase all the products you may promote in the future.

What else?

Thank you!

Is it a "need" product or a "want" product? People will want a lot of things but if there is only "so much money" in their budget, they will spend first on what they need.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What Motivates us?

Answer: The knowledge that we will be fairly compensated and we will not be undercut by "parasites", merchants ppc bidding as affiliates themselves, landing page "leaks", or mysterious reversals. Also, for me personally, the product must be one that I believe in. In summary "An above-board program and product" that will be around to stay.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

4. Thanks From:

There are contradictory opinions about this matter. Many marketers tell you that people buy what they want, and not what they need.

Do you believe that affiliates will promote a product based on how useful it is?

Many products remain under-estimated, while products that have nothing special to offer to the user are quite popular. The second ones attract many affiliates only because they promise a lot, while their content is already known.

I wonder how could someone convince their affiliates to promote an excellent product (that is a ‘need’ product), which is not already known?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Is it a "need" product or a "want" product? People will want a lot of things but if there is only "so much money" in their budget, they will spend first on what they need.

And how will you be able to evaluate this product?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    What Motivates us?

Answer: The knowledge that we will be fairly compensated and we will not be undercut by "parasites", merchants ppc bidding as affiliates themselves, landing page "leaks", or mysterious reversals. Also, for me personally, the product must be one that I believe in. In summary "An above-board program and product" that will be around to stay.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissponias View Post
    I’d like to know what motivates an affiliate to decide promoting a new product, besides receiving high commissions.
    What else?
    Competition: Who else is promoting the product?
    Do I have a fair chance to close the sale?

Does this mean that you would promote a product if there were not too many other affiliates promoting it?

I don’t see anyone caring about the product’s quality. What about promoting a product that has 0% return rate because everyone who purchases it loves it forever?

Here are the factors I discussed in a blog post in 2007; there are more factors now.

• Commission Rate
    • Conversion Rate
    • Average Transaction Size
    • Price and Service Levels
    • EPC*
    • Leaks
    • Reversal Rates
    • Affiliate Technology Solution
    • Payment Terms
    • Two-Tier Commissions
    • Differential Margins
    • One-Time vs Recurring Commissions
    • Contingent Commissions
    • Endorsement Opportunity

» What Factors Do Publishers (Affiliates) Consider When Selecting Advertisers (Merchants)? [Mark Welch's Perspective]
    Last edited by markwelch; March 14th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

10. Thanks From:

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I promote Products based on:
    Quality, vendor relationship with the customer, price, usefulness to my clients/customers
    I promote from the Specific Vendor based on:
    Commission %, variety of products, network, parasite/leak trust, graphics (must be something I can use on my site or in my ezine)

I have a variety of vendors I can use for a specific product. I select trusted vendors, using specific trustworthy networks, and then ask them to provide the quality graphics or links I need. I like making more over less, but if a vendor is a real pain, I'll drop them no matter what their percentages. I'm the one promoting, and maybe they will make a lot of money, but if they keep changing hosts, re-designing their datafeed or removing products, I will stop promoting from their stock. Also, if a vendor consistently does NOT provide quality graphics after 3 requests, I stop promoting them.

12. Thanks From:

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    And how will you be able to evaluate this product?
    Ideally, I would like to own the product. But that is not always possible so one may check consumer complaint forums. If the product is viewed as a "rip off" I don't want to promote it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Question
    This is really some great feedback. In reference to leaks, how can you tell if a source is leaking or parasitic?

I know that in the world of web hosting it is very common to redirect sales that would normally goto an affiliate like from a chat or a call.

We put in place a few measures to detect leakage so we can attribute almost 95% of sales back to the source and have a greater than 11% conversion rate.

On the topic of commission, would you rather have a CPA that is high? Or a CPA that is realistic to the profitability of your vendor and a higher conversion rate?

There are contradictory opinions about this matter. Many marketers tell you that people buy what they want, and not what they need.

I wonder how could someone convince their affiliates to promote an excellent product (that is a ‘need’ product), which is not already known.
    I think it depends on what vertical you're in. Gifts, weddings, party supplies etc.: budget is always a factor, however "want" more than "need" supplies the motivating factor for the buyer.

If I'm looking for a "practical" item but come across a cool accessory, I may also purchase that. Online buying can be more impulsive than offline.

Regarding an unknown "need" product...supplying real stories about use, talking about its benefits.
    * If you're a merchant, give your product to family & friends...collect real stories about how they benefited from using the product.

* Can you do a simple video product demo that affiliates could use? Depending on what the product is, maybe create various situations if the product lends itself to different types of usage.

* Get top on gadget bloggers (or whatever vertical it's in) to blog about it. Of course now, they must disclose if you sent them a sample for use. But I don't think that necessarily is a negative if the blogger is a trusted name.

You must build the buzz first to convince affiliates to promote an unknown product. Affs will help spread the buzz, but it's not usual to expect them to create the buzz. That's the merchant's job.

* Have a professional web site that makes the ABC steps of buying it very simple.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Care for your affiliates
    In all my dealings with my affiliates I found that it is always best to be genuine and honest... don't try and give your affiliates false expectations, it doesn't help them and it won't benefit you.

In all my dealings with my affiliates I will always do everything that I can do help them and would always be fair. But remember some affiliates do try to take advantage of this, so you also need to stand your ground sometimes. The long time and professional affiliates understand and respect this method and these are the affs you should be working with.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have streams of affs coming in to join your program

In addition to what everyone else said;

Proper tools to promote with, such as datafeeds that are usable and up to date. AM's who don't take care of stuff send the "we don't care about you" message to their affiliates.

Glance over the wealth of info here as well;
    Merchant Best Practices Forum - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Having excellent customer support system is really helpful in building good relationships with the customers and affiliates so that's another factor to consider in selecting products to promote.
    Last edited by affilorama; April 4th, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

another positive
    Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Having excellent customer support system is really helpful in building good relationships with the customers and affiliates so that's another factor to consider in selecting products to promote.
    Agreed, but make sure you are on the light side like me and give your affs their rightfull 2nd tier commisions on phone sales to clients that they reffered to you.

Affs like this and it builds truthful trustworthy and honest relationships, but most of all a happy working environment for all.

Ps: happy affs will be more willing to send you more traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMeds View Post
    Agreed, but make sure you are on the light side like me and give your affs their rightfull 2nd tier commisions on phone sales to clients that they reffered to you.
    I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Why a phone sale be a second tier commission?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Call Sales
    When I was doing Affiliate work I very often came across programs that claimed that a sale that was made due to the customer calling in and placing the order would not be paid out to me.

Many of these programs claimed that the client was not referred to them due to my efforts, I always argued that I had been the original referer and that I should be compensated for these sales.

All I am saying is that I don't feel it is fair not to get paid for these types of sales.

Now that I am working as an Aff Manager, I am on the other side and can now play fair and prevent this from happening.

Like I mentioned a bit earlier, be honest with your affiliates and be fair, its more beneficial for everyone

I don't think the question was about why they should get a commission, but rather why it should be a 2nd tier commission. A merchant who is not paying full commission on phone sales is abusing their affiliates, considered a leaky merchant and most affiliates will avoid them. Merchants have pay per call and phone tracking resources, if they won't use them, they are just leaky merchants.

missed the answer
    Thanks 2busy... You are completely right, I was addressing an issue that I personally experienced from amerchant and that really got under my skin, but to answer the question, I was very surpeised at how many of the smaller merchants offer a lower commision on returning sales and even refuse to pay out on "telephone assisted sales". The lower commission is what I was reffering to as second tier.

As I was once an affiliate I just wanted to throw that in as an extra bit of info that merchants should stay away from these types of grey area practices.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread