A certain merchant owes me and a few other people money. He took our money and spent it on opening a brick and mortar store and just stopped paying the affiliates.

Well, I am mad and feeling nasty about the whole thing.

Now, here is the question.

I think we could build a page that would out rank him in a searches for his own site and for his name.

So, if we got together and just made a page that looked like a bill for services rendered and posted it to the web do you think there would be legal problems as long as what the page stated is true?

I tell you, we are all pretty ticked about this.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Why don't you cast a spell?

Who is the merchant? A lot of affiliates could easily outrank a lot of different merchants on Google.
    That could cost this merchant a lot of lost sales

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Consumer and partner backlash via a web page is a strong weapon. Make sure your intent is not to trash the guys new brick-n-Mortar venture. Many affiliates jump into posing as merchants with drop shippers. That senerio fails if they cut-n-run or their real merchant partners don't pay on time. They then can't give their affiliate worker bees the cut they earned. When a big check finally comes in the weaker ones just say the hell with the slow pay winers. They drop the program and invest the drop-ship commission wad.

You'll see a lot of this in Jan & Feb & March from Holiday sales activity.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

being true is good, but you must always be prepared to defend your$elf.

Oh, hey -- he'll be a lot more sensitive to BBB complaints, now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why don't you cast a spell? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if *that* worked you'd have a hugely profitable sideline in hexing deadbeat merchants

I had an argument with an outfit called nonstopConsulting GmbH - guess what the Google search results look like for that.. heheh.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I just started with AM ,
    Is there anything I can do to protect myself from such things? as it is the competition is very tough, and I don't want to loose my earnings for fraud.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> protect myself from such things? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just be brave and keep your eyes open. learn from the postings on these forums. use the search facility to see if a company has been mentioned as being a problem.

Worry more about getting sales, first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by likemynick:
    Is there anything I can do to protect myself from such things? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is just a part of doing business. You can reduce the impact, but it's virtually impossible to totally eliminate. Some ways to help:

1) Work with CJ or SAS merchants. Since most of them are required to maintain an escrow account, it's much more rare to not get paid (although it does happen). Linkshare and BeFree merchants are much better than they used to be. Back in 2000, there were a ton of them that went out of business. Now, that's relatively rare and the networks do a fairly good job of making sure the merchants pay.
    2) Search here to see if others are reporting problems. Also, check the BBB. If they're not keeping customers happy, they probably won't keep affiliates happy either.
    3) Design your site(s) so that it's easy to disable a merchant. If a merchant doesn't pay, disable them and cut your losses quickly.
    4) When a merchant doesn't pay, turn them over to a collection agent and report them to the BBB.

The only way you can totally eliminate the problem is to never earn anything.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by likemynick:
    I just started with AM ,
    Is there anything I can do to protect myself from such things? as it is the competition is very tough, and I don't want to loose my earnings for fraud. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will lose money. If you earn money doing affiliate marketing, you will eventually lose some to merchant fraud, or a merchant going out of business, or a merchant switching networks etc.

It is part of the business. There are ways you can limit your losses, but you cannot eliminate them entirely.

There will be money lost that you will never even know about.

First of all what makes you think I haven't cast a spell? Not that I would do much more than bind him. But, on the other hand, maybe I haven't.

I still want to know if there would be perceivable problems from posting the truth about this Bozzo for all the world to see.

I think we can out rank him in the SEs for the name of his site and for his own name.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Your time would be better spent just promoting his competitors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with MC, best revenge an affiliate can take. Rather than getting into complications of not knowing what could be the outcome.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I think you may open yourself up to possible legal trouble with that, even though I love the idea. Promote their competition and blow them away in the SEs. There's always small claims court too unless the amount is excessive. Good luck.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread