FTC Affiliate Disclaimer Vs. Google AdSense
    Hi,

I heard a story about someone putting an affiliate disclaimer on their site and then getting banned from Google AdSense.

Basically, the disclaimer said that some of the links were affiliate relationships that led to commissions for the website owner.

Google AdSense didn't like this because the wording made it seem like people could click links in order to help the website financially.

Does anyone know if there is wording for an affiliate disclaimer that Google AdSense approves of. I did some searching, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

> "I heard a story about someone . . . ." <
    It's hard to judge this vague, speculative report without knowing "what text was displayed, and where."

I've had "disclosure language" on my web sites since at least 1997 -- usually in the privacy policy, sometimes also on the "About Us" page. Here's the relevant language from the privacy policy on my newest site:
    Third Party Web Site Destinations: This web site includes thousands of "web links" to other web sites operated by many other individuals, companies, and organizations. Almost all of those sites use cookies and log files to track your activity, and some may also utilize other strategies to track and monitor your use of their web sites. Some of the links to external web sites pass through intermediaries such as ShareASale.com and Commission Junction, which also track your click, store a cookie, and transfer your request to another web server. These intermediaries (and their cookies) are later checked if you make a purchase at the third party destination web site, and if so, the intermediary stores information about that transaction so that the third parties can account and pay us an advertising fee in exchange for directing customers to their web sites. Some merchants share aggregate purchase information with us; for example, Amazon.com reports the specific items that were purchased by consumers that were referred from this web site; we use this information when updating this web site's content and advertising. However, these third-party merchants do not share any personal identifying information with us.
    I think I had substantially similar language on many different sites from 1997-2007, without any objection from Google AdSense (in fairness, my peak AdSense earnings were probably about $100 per month, so I might not have triggered scrutiny). I haven't had any meaningful activity with Google AdSense in the past three years (I did some testing while the site was in "beta-test" phase in late December but AdSense just couldn't display relevant ads).

I've also posted more advertising-disclosure language in an article on the site-specific blog for the same site:

There are two types of advertising that appear on ___________.com:

1. First, there is a conspicuous rectangle at the right edge of the screen (or window). As of January 1, 2011, the only “rectangle ads” are from Amazon.com, but I will probably resume rotating ads from Google soon.

2. Second, there are “slightly larger” text links within the directory itself (these should appear first).

The Amazon ad and the slightly-larger links are both “affiliate program links,” which is a form of paid advertising: if someone clicks on one of these links and then buys something from the merchant, I am paid an advertising fee (some technical details are discussed in the Privacy Policy).

The advertisers whose links appear most frequently are: Amazon, _____, _____, _____, and _____. In general, the [niche-name] products with “bold links” are clustered near the top of each section.
    For my skyscraper ad blocks, I add the word "Advertisement" above and below the skyscraper (see the picture below showing how this appears for an Amazon ad).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markwelch; March 14th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    It's hard to judge this vague, speculative report without knowing "what text was displayed, and where."

I've had "disclosure language" on my web sites since at least 1997 -- usually in the privacy policy, sometimes also on the "About Us" page. Here's the relevant language from the privacy policy on my newest site:

I think I had substantially similar language on many different sites from 1997-2007, without any objection from Google AdSense (in fairness, my peak AdSense earnings were probably about $100 per month, so I might not have triggered scrutiny). I haven't had any meaningful activity with Google AdSense in the past three years (I did some testing while the site was in "beta-test" phase in late December but AdSense just couldn't display relevant ads).

I've also posted more advertising-disclosure language in an article on the site-specific blog for the same site:

For my skyscraper ad blocks, I add the word "Advertisement" above and below the skyscraper (see the picture below showing how this appears for an Amazon ad).
    its cool but i don't about your problem. Adding the name of the Gadget ADVERTISEMENT can't create problem like blocking your site. i think there are other problems. there are many sites doing these. writing these type of words and sentences for attracting people and i think its totally OK. you should check for other problems.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread