http and a telephoto
    With all this talk about other forums and this forum and that forum and new forums and old forums, I just have to say this:

It's the people not the place.

ABW has the archives, it has a rich and diverse member base. For what ever reasons a bunch of those members have been blocked. Members that are valuable to this community.

I have made friends and probably enemies here, but the bottom line is I learned how to grow my business here. I like it here, it is familiar and there are people that have knowledge to share. There are merchants that are willing to help. Sometimes it doesn't help me convert any better, but they are trying and I am trying and without this community, I wouldn't know enough to try most of the things that I do.

So to Haiko, and the members that are lurking and not posting or are considering leaving, please take a deep breath, think about what you are doing.

If you want to reduce ABW to a merchants only forum, that seems to be where it is headed at the moment.

If you want to keep ABW at the levels it has been at, everybody apologize, unblock people and lets get busy supporting each other again.

The other forums I have visited have potential, but they are also full of negativity.

It's the people not the place.

The same people in a different place will say the same things.
    Deborah Carney

You can post that, Debbie, because you are not banned, you have posting rights. So do I.

It's not the people who banned certain members. In the case of those banned/lost/resigned permanently, it's precisely *not* the people.

That is why I like the new policy of incremental banning. Three ban warnings, then a week in the corner. Three more warnings, then a month in time out. Three more warnings and then a permanent ban.

That is very fair. Since no one wants to be on read only even for one week, it should be very effective. Any fool can understand it and everyone can see that no other option was available. But, I would like to add that if you go a year with no warnings you should start fresh.

This is very much better than the old way where you only got banned when Haiko had taken all the guff he could and then you got booted.

Now, I don't know what the Jason situation is. I guess if you do something other than make questionable posts here, like make slanderous attacks against ABW elsewhere or steal from ABW, humm....I don't know. I would think such a person wouldn't want to show their face here, anyway. Frankly, I would make the facts known and let the ABW membership handle it if they dared to show up. I am certain we could do Haiko that little favor.

As to the ones who walk away. OH WELL!

Haiko even apologized to Connie. That was gracious of him to say he was sorry. If she isn't gracious enough to accept, well, good-by then. What does she expect, anyway? Haiko can't be prefect all the time any more than anyone else can. He has been her host here for a long time and I think a friend. Not accepting his apology and letting by gones be by gones is a slap in the face that Haiko does not deserve. I am pretty mad at her about that so if that is the way she wants to be, good riddance.

But, it should be well noted that this is a decision she takes of her own free will. She is not banned.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Cambridgeshire, England
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Since no one wants to be on read only even for one week, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently bought a new computer and that's exactly where I was as I couldn't remember my login details or guess the old username and password. Eventually I asked Haiko and he sent them to me within a couple of hours and I'm back again.

It was VERY frustrating, I kept hitting reply before I realised I was stuck.

I agree with Ssanf, you have to try or not care to get banned. I think sometimes Haiko lets things get to him a bit too much and sees the board as him rather than an entity in its own right. Less swearing and more gentle kick-offs would be better, "speak softly and carry a big stick"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    "speak softly and carry a big stick" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said Paul, exactly this has to be done.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread