Hi another post for the experts,
    We want to maintain a parasite free and affiliate friendly program. Is there any way we can check our program for parasites? If so, is there a way to locate the affiliate link and remove them quickly? Is there a "list" of parasite harboring affiliates we can review, before adding them? A lot of questions that need answers, Thanks everyone for all your help and advice! Fawn
    Affiliate Associate
    Fastfind.com
    fawn.portugal@fastfind.com

first you have to explore all the ways there are of diverting credit for a commission. There are many threads here already as well as a forum devoted to parasitic activities.

Thanks for all the insight, and we will be making a promotion that really works, with everyone's comments considered. Thanks again! And, really appreciate everyone's help and warm welcome

Thanks for the response Herb, glad there is assistance with this problem...Any other tips that are new or haven't been discussed yet, send my way! Have a great day...Fawn

It's really a big project. Every so often a merchant asks me for help in finding "all" bad actors within their affiliate program. I reluctantly have to admit I can't do that. I can test what I know how to test, based on the problems I know about (specifically or generally). But then there are the programs I might have never heard about and never happened to test in my lab.

Some merchants go through affiliate statistics to look for problems. Very low conversion rates are sometimes thought to be associated with cookie-stuffing -- though in my testing this is not a particularly good detection method, since 1) some legit affiliates have low conversion rates (bad luck, mediocre sites, mediocre affiliate-merchant match, impatient users, etc.), 2) some cookie-stuffers have high conversion rates (especally software-targeted cookie-stuffing), 3) a low conversion rate is not prima facie evidence of use of any specific prohibited activity.

For merchants who receive good HTTP referer data (not provided in a particularly useful form by LS or CJ), this can be helpful in detecting some (but, again, by no means all) bad actors.

For determined merchants, I often recommend setting up a lab with a test PC (ideally running "virtual machine" software) on which you can browse your top affiliates' sites, and even install suspect software. Then see what happens on the affiliates' sites and what happens when you visit your site with the suspect software installed. But, learning to do tests in this way can be time-consuming, and requires some technical skills, so this too isn't an easy choice.

Reading ABW and following recommendations here is always a good idea. But my testing generally shows lots of bad actors not widely discussed on ABW.

Dear Ben,
    Thanks for the response and expertise. It’ll get us headed in the right direction. I'll forward your info to our tech department; If I tried this I'd crash the system

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread