We all know that one of the best ways to succeed in internet marketing is to find a niche. And, we all know that finding the niche can be difficult.

But I wanted to ask you all what is a niche. No, I don't want you to give me a list of niches, ie. nudist fishing colonies, but rather define a niche in relation to search engines and marketing.

Is there a quantitative way of defining a niche? Is it expressed in the R/S ratio? Does under 100,000 and more then 500 searches + less then 1 million sites = a niche (a r/s ratio of 10).

Just wanted to know what the experts thought.

Not going to quote figures but a niche site is doing a site that has few others in competition or doing it better than anyone else. (finding a different angle on the same subject)
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thekey:...we all know that finding the niche can be difficult. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not so difficult as you might think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.. but rather define a niche in relation to search engines and marketing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A niche could be defined as a small slice of a much larger cake. A niche is a little like art. The beauty is in the eye of the marketer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is there a quantitative way of defining a niche? Is it expressed in the R/S ratio? Does under 100,000 and more then 500 searches + less then 1 million sites = a niche (a r/s ratio of 10). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A niche is a small slice of a larger cake that makes the marketer money. I don't think it is a matter of ratios or the number of searches. I think it is the number of highly targeted shoppers motivated to buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ebudae:
    .. doing it better than anyone else. (finding a different angle on the same subject) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From where I sit that statement is absolutely right.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Cordless telephones ... that's a niche, now sign up with www.niche-hosting.com to host it and use a www.c3scripts.com to pull it from amazon as a start.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

As usual, Haiko is exactly right about the telephones.

I'd go one step further....select the very best of the telephone deals and promote it.

One site per product. One product per site. SEO the devil out of it. Link to it from every site in the internet. Next month...count your money.

Frank

[edited to add...Hi thekey and welcome to ABW. Do some searches here. The archives are full of great information.]

"Link to it from every site in the internet. "

By saying this do you mean submit it to all the search engines?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by magstop:
    "Link to it from every site in the internet. "

By saying this do you mean submit it to all the search engines? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All but Google.

Mrs. Googlebot likes to find the sites herself. Therefore, find inbound links from sites that are in the Google index. The more links coming in, the more traffic avenues available.

Linking strategies vary. From getting links solely to get page rank in google, to just getting links that are likely to deliver traffic on their own.

Whichever way you decide to do it, just do it a lot.

Frank

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread