Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Well, that's a fine howdy-do in the morning, jeeese-o-pete. I walk out to my car this morning, get about halfway there, this pit bull charges up, spreads it's front legs, crouches, and starts this dreadful bark/growl crap with me, tries to attack me. It's got blood running down the left side of it's head, saliva dripping from it's mouth, and a crazed "You talkin' to me?" look in his eyes.

Scared the bejeesus outta me, all I could do is crouch, brace myself and back slowly to my door, longest 30 feet of my life, lemmee tell you.

My arms/legs are like jelly. On the upside, I no longer need Cappucino: this affiliate is WIDE AWAKE.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sorry about that; he's supposed to only attack empl*yees. But, unfortunately for you, I trained him that those are the 2-legged things that walk to cars in the morning
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

( tarps will be mailed out a little later this morning!!!! )

ABW Ambassador
    I had a similar experience (but not this morning).

Funny now - not at the time though.

Woof woof

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Funny now - not at the time though.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can say that again Poon, I know how it feels to be there at that moment.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I was about two weeks out of the hospital after giving birth to my daughter and we both needed some air so I took her in my arms and decided to walk outside a bit. A pack of wild dog surrounded us barking up a storm. I knew I could not run. So, babe in arms, I acted like I was going after the "lead" dog. Fortunately, they ran when they thought I was going to attack.

I have never been so frightened. I can hardly stand to be around a dog since.

This is very hard because I have friends who expect that everyone must think their pet is simply wonderful. I have to bite my tongue and make the best of it. Truth is I can barely tolerate their mangy cur.

Now, I do not advocate that all dogs should be drowned at birth. I, however, would not be the one to speak against whipping irresponsible dog owners naked through the streets on a January morning.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

- - - - -
    I, however, would not be the one to speak against whipping irresponsible dog owners naked through the streets on a January morning.
    - - - - -

As of this morning, I'd of voted you into office, ssanf. Found out this dog attacked a kid earlier this week. There's a couple of policemen looking for it right now.

I've had a couple of nasty near misses with dogs, I really don't like them. You don't generally get the same problem with cats. Or in Mrs Dynamoo's case, teddy bears.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    In high school I had a mean dog come seemingly out of nowhere and attack me on the way home. Fortunately quick reflexes and a heavy Chem textbook to its head altered its plans!

People who lived near the owner's house said that it was a known viscious POS and that it must have jumped the fence. I'd never noticed there being a dog in a fenced-in yard before, but after that I noticed it every time!

I didn't get scared of dogs in general but now that I think of it, I do know exactly which yards have dogs now--and their apparent temperment. So that incident did make me be more aware of where dogs are being kept.

Overall, I've found that I get along with about 50% of dogs. The other 50% suck to some degree or another.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    I had a near attack experience once... I was vacationing in Northern Michigan and I was walking down a dirt road. As I passed by this house a huge german sheppard came up the driveway towards me. I noticed that he was not on a leash and there was no fence. By the time the dog got to the street (It was a long driveway) I was what I thought a comfortable distance up the street. I turned around and seen the dog standing in the middle of the road looking at me. I felt like I was in one of those John Wayne movies in a stare down waiting to draw...

All of a sudden the dog started barking and came running at me. I took off running only to keep looking back and seeing the dog getting closer and closer... I was getting desperate so I stopped running and yelled at the dog..

"GO HOME!"

The dog stopped very quickly, skidding accross the road... He looked at me with his ears perked and head tilted to the side and then turned around and started walking back to his home.

<RANT ON>BE WARNED - DOG LOVER COMING<RANT OFF>
    I love dogs and have no problem with most of them. Like people, cats and speaking from experience, even birds, there are bad ones but generally they are great.
    That said, I would vote SSanf into office for this too:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I, however, would not be the one to speak against whipping irresponsible dog owners naked through the streets on a January morning. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I HATE stupid dog owners.
    If that isn't clear, let me repeat it...

I grew up with Rottweilers ... as a breed they are very stable, loving and yes protective.
    GREAT dogs.
    How much do I hate the fact that they ... and pitbulls which test my love of dogs ... get so much bad press. It makes me burn.
    Don't ban the breed, ban the breeding of idiot owners. Spay or Neuter stupidity!!!!
    I love dogs and I don't have one. Why? Not enough room right now and it's not fair to pen a dog in a small yard - I have a big one but no fence and the house is too small to keep a dog as well. Yet, as a dog lover I walk around and see people leaving their dogs in the smallest yards, never exercising them and generaly treating them like crap.
    What turns a dog? OWNERS!!!

Solution? - let's go back to the whipping one mentioned above. Ok realistically, why can't we license owners? You want a dog? Prove you can handle one. I had to get a license to marry my wife, WTF is up with that?

There is marriage counselling, dog obedience ... hrm maybe I shouldn't put those two together ... anyway why is there no owner obedience school ... here are the rules of being a dog owner, dont follow them WE WILL WHIP YOU ... or some other appropriate punishment.

In the city parks, when I get a Rott, it will be muzzled even though I KNOW that dog will be of a good temperment and a very social animal. It is the responsible thing to do.
    You never know what could set off a dog no matter how stable, want an example? Look at road rage with humans. How can a perfectly rational person with no history of anything violent or criminal all of a sudden snap and take a crowbar to another drivers car. IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. When animals attack - COPS - Those two shows are NOT that different sometimes.
    So as an owner prepare for it even if you have the best dog in the world!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

K I feel better now

Btw EC sorry to hear about what happened.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

- - - -
    I had to get a license to marry my wife, WTF is up with that?
    - - - -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Popdawg:
    I had to get a license to marry my wife, WTF is up with that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wish they had given me a test to see if I could handle my wife.

Wow, some scary experiences mentioned above.

I do agree with Ssanf:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I, however, would not be the one to speak against whipping irresponsible dog owners naked through the streets on a January morning.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a general rule I am scared of dogs, even the cute fluffy ones. They all can get aggravated, scared, protective or whate-ever sets them off and then they will bite.

I like the idea of owner obedience: PROVE you are capable of owning a dog! Make sense to me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There is marriage counselling, dog obedience ... hrm maybe I shouldn't put those two together ... anyway why is there no owner obedience school ... here are the rules of being a dog owner, dont follow them WE WILL WHIP YOU ... or some other appropriate punishment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have banned pit bulls in our city and many have been put down as a result. The ones over a certain age are safe under a "grandfather" clause but most people couldn't afford the terms of keeping them.....basically, a million dollars in additional insurance just in case the dog causes injury and several other stipulations.

We have a german sheppard and although he has had obedience training and is never off-leash, he is also on a pinch collar whenever in public or anywhere off our property (which is fenced in). Hubby and I have had great success with owning large breed dogs but the responsibility is ours to make sure they aren't dangerous to us or others and not a nuisance to be around. All we ask is that people respect our dogs territory and not mistreat or tease him.

It really does boil down to responsible ownership.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    The main problem isn't dogs...but owners.

It is not just stupid owners. Many people train their dogs to be mean. Up the street from me, lives a family with a mean dog. Their little ten year old kid beams with pride at the fact that his dog has killed three other dogs in the neighborhood. I guess we have to wait until the dog takes out a few small children in the neighborhood before the family will start question the wisdom of training their dog to be mean.

I seem to recall that there are more people killed by dogs in the US than any other animal. This is largely because there dog/human contact than normal contact.

Dog Bite Law indicates that there are more than 5 million dog bites a year in the US.

Police, search and rescue, etc., train dogs to be disciplined...it is almost the same but a little different. IMHO, the worst owners are people who live on the fringe...like the security guard who pretends that his pit bull is actually a well trained police dog.

Inspector Clouseau: Does your dog bite?

Hotel Clerk: No.

Inspector Clouseau bowing down to pet the dog: Nice doggie.

[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand.]

Inspector Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!

Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abu Gabby:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Popdawg:
    I had to get a license to marry my wife, WTF is up with that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wish they had given me a test to see if I could handle my wife. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Haha, wouldn't that have come in handy!

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Be honest EC, you were late for work cause you had to change your underwear

Seriously though, that had to scare the crap out of you. Glad you did not get a bite taken out of you.

Frank - A classic!

DFL - I take the fifth!

Heh, I really started something over here, the police spent the day rounding up all the loose dogs in town, they got a whole bunch of them. They finally found the one that attacked me and that kid hiding under a trailer. It had been injured, and the owner apparently had been looking for it for a day or two. Not sure what they are going to do with it, jeeese.

I stepped out of my roomate's car in his friend's driveway and got a chunk of my leg removed by a German shepard before I knew what was happening. Quickly I grabbed a crowbar and raised it just as the owner stepped outside yelling at me for threatening the dog. She blamed me for not paying attention to the "Beware of Dog" sign which she had parked her truck in front of.

After smashing the dog and the windows in her truck and throwing the crowbar through her front window, I went to the closest doctor for stitches and sent her the bill for $250.00. The check arrived in the mail two days later and I never heard from her again.

I still love dogs and have three of my own. The difference is in how they are raised. This person had fed the dog gun powder to make it mean.
    ~Ernie

I was bitten by a dog when I was a kid. From this experience I learned that it is NOT ok to pet a dog just because it's wagging its tail.

As a teenager I encountered TWO growling German shepherds at my mailbox one day. I managed to get back to the house without being bitten (walking slowly, no sudden moves), but it was scary.

After that I was scared of dogs for many years. The best way to get over being scared of dogs is to get your own. I have two dogs now, and I'm no longer so nervous when I meet a stray dog, although I'm still careful.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread