Groupon Afflliate Program Questions
    Hello,

I'm researching the Groupon Affilitate program and was hoping someone could answer or clarify some questions I had. I apologize if these have been answered already!

1. Geolocation - from what I read, it appears that Groupon can auto detect a user's location if I build a web based app or site. I assume this is via geo-ip lookup? Or is some other mechanism used?

2. Groupon Deals Segmentation - can we segment Groupon deals and only ask that specific categories get passed/displayed. Say I run a wine blog or app. Can I use the widget or API to specifically show ONLY wine deals, restaurants, bars etc and omit everything else?

3. Affiliate Program vs. Google Adsense - does anyone have any experience on conversion or performance of the Groupon Affiliate program vs. Google Adsense display advertising? I noticed that Groupon runs house ads via Adsense, but they're not targeted nor customized. My assumption is that the Affiliate program would generate a higher response rate given the contextual nature of the ads. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that.

Thanks,
    Sam

Hey sixspeedsam! Welcome to ABW, and thanks for your interest in Groupon

Quote Originally Posted by Sixspeedsam View Post
    1. Geolocation - from what I read, it appears that Groupon can auto detect a user's location if I build a web based app or site. I assume this is via geo-ip lookup? Or is some other mechanism used?
    Yes, our affiliate widget will display deals based on the user's location, or it will display the city the user last visited if we are able to determine that.

2. Groupon Deals Segmentation - can we segment Groupon deals and only ask that specific categories get passed/displayed. Say I run a wine blog or app. Can I use the widget or API to specifically show ONLY wine deals, restaurants, bars etc and omit everything else?
    The widget doesn't have categories built into it, but you are welcome to build your own call to our API.

3. Affiliate Program vs. Google Adsense - does anyone have any experience on conversion or performance of the Groupon Affiliate program vs. Google Adsense display advertising? I noticed that Groupon runs house ads via Adsense, but they're not targeted nor customized. My assumption is that the Affiliate program would generate a higher response rate given the contextual nature of the ads. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that.
    Probably best answered by an affiliate, but from what I've seen, it really depends on context (as always, right? ) So for example, if you've got a really generic site, then maybe the generic adsense will convert better for you. If you've got a topic specific site, like a city guide, for example, then a piece of creative that displays the deal related to the city will likely get higher clickthrough and conversion simply because it is truly relevant.

Hope that helps!
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread