Would you consider sending email blast as spamming?
    Was wondering if any of the experienced/seasoned affiliate managers here apply some specific set of strategies or tools to ensure that their email blasts are not considered as spam by their recipients.

By strategies I mean do's and don'ts on your email content. Perhaps phrases or statements to avoid in creating your email template.

For the "tools", I'm referring to your highly recommended software to be used for sending email blasts.

Thank you.

I think that when you use the term "email blast," you're absolutely starting with the wrong attitude -- which will likely deter many folks from providing helpful advice.
    Last edited by markwelch; March 22nd, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

3. Thanks From:

I think it boils down to:

1) Where did you get the email addresses, and
    2) What are the recipients expecting.

If they didn't give their email address to you, specifically to receive the email blasts that you're sending them, it's likely going to be perceived as spam.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    By strategies I mean do's and don'ts on your email content. Perhaps phrases or statements to avoid in creating your email template.
    The only strategy that you can use to avoid sending SPAM is to send your message only to those that have EXPLICITLY agreed to receive them. The content doesn't change the intent or perception and if your intent is an "email blast" I can almost guarantee you that it will be perceived as SPAM.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Don't send it
    I'm not an AM, but I agree with the other people who answered previously. Do not do this!

Not sure what you are selling, but this will lead you into problems. Find ANOTHER way to market your product(s). "Email blasts" are NOT the way a reputable company tries to market their product(s).

Affiliate Manager
    for more information on email campaigns and SPAM, visit this site: The CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center

This is the standard for all email campaigns. It has very exact details on what you can and can't do.

Good luck on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    I think that when you use the term "email blast," you're absolutely starting with the wrong attitude -- which will likely deter many folks from providing helpful advice.
    Interesting reply. Instead of the term "email blast" may I know the most appropriate term?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I think it boils down to:

1) Where did you get the email addresses, and
    2) What are the recipients expecting.

If they didn't give their email address to you, specifically to receive the email blasts that you're sending them, it's likely going to be perceived as spam.
    Thanks for the clarification, Michael. Reminds me of some newsletters that I always receive without me giving my email address for subscription of for whatever purpose. If there's a link through which you can opt out, will that make these newsletters exempted from being categorized as spam?

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    The only strategy that you can use to avoid sending SPAM is to send your message only to those that have EXPLICITLY agreed to receive them. The content doesn't change the intent or perception and if your intent is an "email blast" I can almost guarantee you that it will be perceived as SPAM.

-rematt
    Thank you, rematt. So far that's what we are applying - Requesting for permission prior to sending any email, newsletter, updates, etc. Although there are some who must have forgotten that they have given their permission to include their email address in the mailing list, they would email back with an angry tone
    Last edited by Jacqui; May 17th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

To clarify further and to clear up some speculations , I, along with the rest of the men and women in our company do not do "email blast" from the context which can be categorized as bad attitude.

I must have used the wrong term. I must have gotten that term from "somewhere". But rest assured that we do not do such a thing. Thanks to everyone for correcting and clarifying such term.

The only reason I asked, which has been answered bull's eye by Michael, is for me to know how to come up with the best strategy in sending updates and notifications to affiliates that they won't consider as spam. So far, we are on the right track.

The The CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center by SPnelson will be a great help.
    Last edited by Jacqui; May 17th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    So when you say "email blast" do you mean newsletters to affiliates regarding your program with in a specific network?

Quote Originally Posted by SPnelson View Post
    So when you say "email blast" do you mean newsletters to affiliates regarding your program with in a specific network?
    Yes, SPnelson.
    Last edited by Jacqui; May 17th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

Florida makes 63 million dollars selling your private information to businesses.

Well appearently people seem to think that selling private emailing lists are spam... but what if you are the Government?

Would it be okay to sell your private information with home address, date of birth, type of car (and all other private information on your driver's licence: FLORIDA SELLS YOUR DRIVER LICENSE INFO

Just to let you know the Govt. is profiteering and selling private info that would be concidered spam if you and I did it.
    :kiss:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Instead of the term "email blast" may I know the most appropriate term?

The reason some get huffy about "Blast" is because that is a term that is used in the black hat spammer forums when they use a list of 1million or so emails to send out to a purchased or scrubbed list.

Blast = "Shotgun blast" = you just shoot buck shot everywhere and then see what sticks.

Blast is also a the term spammers use when they scrub or purchase a list of blogs that will accept comments on their thread. There are a few programs out there that do this.

The term that people who want to make you think they are completely legit would use is: Email Campaign

out
    :kiss:

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread