OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Mommy Bloggers Meet Up
    Cindy Ballard made a post in another thread that I feel is an interesting topic and one that needs its own discussion:

On another note...this is interesting because I just got back from a Mommy bloggers meet up, and they were talking about how the affiliate industry as a whole does not seem to recognize them because they think they are just moms who have nothing better to do all day since they stay home with kids, so they add very little value to affiliate marketing through their blogs. They feel like they are pretty well treated like rambling, mindless females with nothing to really contribute, when in reality, they are the ones that mostly control the finances in their homes, do the shopping, know the values, work with the handyman, car repairman etc so in actuality, they have a better grasp of the real world and can/do contribute as affiliates.
    Personally I feel that Mommy bloggers are using the medium to discuss products and services to an attentive audience. Missy Ward in the January 2011 FeedFront wrote in Editor's Note that 36% of bloggers made money in a 2010 based on a survey by Technorati (will see if I can find a link).

If we as affiliate managers could bridge the gap between affiliate marketing and Mommy bloggers we will hit on one of the riches veins in years. If Mommy bloggers knew how to monetize their blogs other than with AdSense they can make great commissions to supplement their family income. I know several Mommy affiliates who are supporting their families (in some cases soley) but have spent years going through the school of hard knocks. I have some ideas on how to engage Mommy bloggers but have not yet tried them and am interested in what others have to say.

2. Thanks From:

Interesting angle, Chuck. I have not targeted any group, yet, as far as recruiting affiliates for our program goes. However I did just go in and scan the page of our top 50 affiliates - and see that we do have active Mommy Bloggers in that group.

Mommy Bloggers are, indeed, a resource on the web. They may not have time to become fully immersed in writing on the web - nor turn it into a full time job. In fact, I'd bet that their blogging activity activity only amounts to a couple hours per week (for the majority of them). But, collectively, that adds up to a VERY large amount of information being shared - by a group of people who truly have experiences to share. Indeed, hey are building a "valuable" resource on the Net.

Those who attract any kind of a consistent following can certainly, if they so choose, monetize their sites. I am seeing some of that happen - and can understand why (on sites that I am aware of) - but didn't really pay attention until reading your post.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I'll kick back in Chuck where I left off, and even expand this to include Daddy bloggers since more and more men are stay at home dads, unemployed, on disability or just enjoy blogging. They are truly the clueless.

My experience with them shows that most, not all, but most of them have no real idea how to monetize their sites with affiliate links, and I'm not sure if its our fault for their lack of knowledge, or their feeling of lack of inadequacy (which they have mentioned to me) to be an affiliate.

I too think that the future of affiliate marketing will rely heavy on these bloggers and I wish that we could get them more involved, which I am working on.

One thing about them, they are a pretty tight group as witnessed on Twitter, and I love that. They believe in networking and working together and sharing ideas amongst themselves. They have the social media down pat.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

5. Thanks From:

I value mommy bloggers. If you live in CT, we should could use your help on Monday. come join us as we go to hartford to fight the affiliate tax in our state. Check out the CT Tax Forum when you can: Senate Finance Committee Hearing: 10:30am 3/28/11 - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 25th, 2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: with permission frm poster

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One idea I have is to do give aways to bloggers to get their interest in reviewing the products. I would track with an affiliate link then show them what they would have made as an affiliate. Part of the problem I have found is the knowledge gap is too great so they need to be spoon fed. Of course if they turned around, joined the program I would show them how to create their own links then credit there account for the previous sales!

Amazing thread. If marketers aren't finding an exposure value in this segment, I'm not sure what to say.

oh wait... I do know what to say.

Affiliate managers: Stop looking at CTR. Stop looking at RPC.

START looking at the value of the exposure, the branding, and the ROI.

Yes, it's true that "high value" affiliates hate being looked at as a branding channel. They want clicks and conversions. That's what this channel is about.

BUT....

Look at the web real estate you pass up by not:

1.) Making compelling banner ads in Wordpress friendly sizes.

2.) Not effectively researching any affiliate that applies.

3.) Refusing to work with non-established affiliates.

2000 (20,000?) blogs at 50 page views a day is revenue. And revenue you willfully ignore.

Just a little spice for your tea. That's all I offer.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

BUT....

Look at the web real estate you pass up by not:

1.) Making compelling banner ads in Wordpress friendly sizes.

2.) Not effectively researching any affiliate that applies.

3.) Refusing to work with non-established affiliates.

2000 (20,000?) blogs at 50 page views a day is revenue. And revenue you willfully ignore.

Just a little spice for your tea. That's all I offer.
    When Jill and I started our program we aimed to be "affiliate friendly" and be very happy to work with the smaller affiliates - because we were (and still are) small affiliates. It seems to be working because our program has been in the 40-somethings on ShareASale's PowerRank 100 for the last week (50-something for the previous month).

We look at and accept small affiliate sites and blogs - happily. We have a few affiliates earning 4-figures a month, a LOT earning 3-figures and a WHOLE LOT earning 2-figures. Each individual sale adds to the total - they are ALL important. Another positive feature is: if a "smaller affiliate" leaves the marketplace - it doesn't impact the total picture as much as if we have a super affiliate bail out.

So bring on the Mommy and Daddy Bloggers. We'll help them promote our products in any way we can. We have provided custom creative on request. Better yet, have recently been able to fulfill requests for product inventory to match a particular theme - on request of an affiliate.

For example: we have a small affiliate, turns out a Mommy Blogger, who has a small site about one of her interests - the fight industry (believe it or not). A few days ago she made a request for "boxing" theme products. We have two sets just about ready to go into production and she will be able to offer them on her site sometime next week.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We actually hired someone recently (Leslie White, who some of you may know... I know Chuck knows her), and her only job is focused recruiting of established niche content sites, and bloggers. She takes a personal one-to-one approach to recruiting, and her conversion rate especially in scrapbooking and mom/family blog segment is outstanding.

Some have never heard of our segment of Affiliate marketing, but most have vaguely heard of it.. Leslie has a knack for building trust, and then she hands off the new recruits to our very own Affiliate edu guru, Chad...who helps them get up to speed with recommendations on our ads, tools and scripts...even if that means starting out at square one with them.

As a result of Leslie's efforts, in just a short few short months, I have observed established bloggers who never sent an Affiliate-related click to any merchant come on board and start generating commissions immediately. Some with simple banner placements and others with more advanced uses of our wordpress plugin, for example.

Still trying to get my wife to start monetizing her craft and family blogs, as she's up to around 3000-5000 unique visits per month with both... but to no avail

Here is the thing: The formula for their successes are obvious.. they have done all the hard work of building compelling content and community.. often times for years. Monetizing is the easy part, especially with someone mentoring them.

Chuck is right - just barely scratching the surface here.

11. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Cindy Ballard made a post in another thread that I feel is an interesting topic and one that needs its own discussion:

Personally I feel that Mommy bloggers are using the medium to discuss products and services to an attentive audience. Missy Ward in the January 2011 FeedFront wrote in Editor's Note that 36% of bloggers made money in a 2010 based on a survey by Technorati (will see if I can find a link).
    Hey Chuck,

Those stats came from Technorati's State of the Blogosphere 2010. It's filled with very interesting stats, albeit cumbersome to read on their site
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Smile oooooh I am all over this!
    Ok, this thread answers the questions mulling in my brain about how to connect the dots between the mommy bloggers and my health products. Nod to the Technorati data - wow!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Got to love the mommy bloggers!

In past months I've attempted to create relationships with moms who blog (I was told that "moms who blog" is the proper way they want to be addressed) in order to offer giveaways first that hopefully develop into a deeper relationship through my affiliate program.

The attempt began with an Email introducing myself, the craft-oriented giveaway I believed would be of interest to their followers, and an invitation to review the giveaway.

I received few responses even after re-trying after one month. Not sure what to make of it; however, I have connected with two moms who blog, one who is offering the giveaway right now and the other who will do the same very soon.

These ladies (and men) are absolutely respectable in their ability to reach thousands of people who otherwise are not reachable. I'll continue my research (online, attending a conference, etc.) to determine what's missing from the message I thought would attract them.

Shirley

Affiliate Manager
    From my experience working with mom bloggers, I can offers some tips that may help.

1. Catering your pitch to THEIR blog: If you send out a mass generic pitch to prominent mom bloggers, it is unlikely that you will get a response. When you cater your pitch to their blog, they will appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to review their site. This can take a bit more time but I promise it's more effective. Also, flattery always helps. Commend them on their work and reference a specific topic or discussion that you found interesting.

2. Unique Content: They like content- objective content. Cater you pitch to that mom blogger and refer to past topics they’ve covered to come up with a story angle relevant to your product without making your pitch "salesy". For example, if I am reaching out to a mom blogger and see she recently posted an article about the increasing cost of braces or wisdom teeth extractions, I might recommend a story angle like "OPEN WIDE AND SAVE ON CHILDREN’S DENTAL COSTS" and include discount dental plans as a dental insurance alternative and several other useful tips, not necessarily related to our product directly, (since you want to stay objective).

3. Product Reviews: if you have a tangible product, offer to send your product for her review. Many of them will not publish content on a product unless they can see it, touch it and test it. If you don't believe in your product, don't send it. Hopefully, most of us represent products that we believe in and the end result would be a good review, which is excellent publicity! Also, keep in mind that they request products for review about 2 months prior to the holiday season because many mom bloggers post Holiday Gift Guides for children and their hubbies!

4. Giveaways: SGFrazier is right about the giveaways. This method works excellent! I used to do PR for a company that manufactured some of the toy lines for Disney Consumer Products and had great success from sending them 10 Hannah Montana Singing dolls for a giveaway. (This was of course a couple years ago when Hannah Montana was all the rage for tweens).

In closing, I should point out that that it can be difficult to measure the results of these efforts. In many cases, the blog readers may be interested in purchasing your product, but the conversion may occur at a later date (which means they wouldn't be coming through the tracking link). I will leave you with this- in the long-term, one post on a prominent mom blog can go a long way. Strong exposure will lead to revenue in the future but it is definitely difficult to measure and track.

Hope this helps!

Dentalplans101, totally agree with your suggestions.

Unfortunately, even when following your No. 1 and 2 advice (including flattery), this still did not result in responses.

I realize that everything won't work all the time and will still consider this option if it comes around again.

Also, true about ROI difficulties. I wanted the first mom to request that entrants follow me on Facebook, but she could not concur with this, which makes this giveaway a letdown for me, so I'll concentrate on other joint ventures.

Shirley

Affiliate Manager
    SGFrazier, keep in mind it is a bit of a numbers game. The more mom bloggers you strategically reach out to, the more likely you are to get some responses. If you're not getting any responses, then reevaluate your pitch and try refining it.

Keep pushing and do not get discouraged when you're shot down. If everyone we reached out to wanted to work with us, we'd probably all be millionaires!

Dentalplans101,

A numbers game -- so true.

I appreciate the encouragement.

Shirley

Affiliate Manager
    Anytime Shirley. We all need a little encouragement sometimes. Good luck!

Just an update to this post -- Two moms who blog are currently offering giveaways of my resource programs, and I'm seeing an uptick in followings and in my statistics.

This is not only working to introduce my site and programs but also to show me what these new visitors want to know most about my topic.

I'll continue monitoring my stats to learn more about the people who enter my site.

Shirley

Affiliate Manager
    That's great to here Shirly! I am so glad to hear you've landed two giveaways and have already seen and increase in your followers as a result. You previously said you weren't having any luck with the giveaway pitch. Did you coordinate these giveaways in the last two days?

Regardless, it's great to hear that you're getting responses from the bloggers you've reached out to.

Thanks so much for your feedback about the giveaways that are currently underway.

These marketing programs have been underway since late January when I began contacting the moms. They've had personal situations to battle and other giveaways in front of mine to complete.

I didn't expect both moms to offer the giveaways at the same time, but what you don't expect is to be expected.

When the prizes are awarded I will then approach these women about becoming affiliates. Hopefully, our interaction will encourage them to join.

Shirley

Affiliate Manager
    Anytime! Your approach is very smart. The blogger is much more likely to join your affiliate program after the giveaway. You've already built a relationship with the blogger from coordinating the giveaways and relationships are key (as you know).

We've had the same approach at DentalPlans and have had great success. Definitely keep us posted on your stats once the giveaway has ended.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread