It's generally accepted that the week of Thanksgiving and after are the biggest sales volume events of the year.

With traffic on my site really close to last year, and placement on the engine's too, (actually with more sales incentives present) sales have been very low so far. Overture even cites the surge of Christmas period starting weeks ago.

Where are all the numbers? Is it premature?

I've had plenty of 'em round my gaff

Paul,

You must be sailing in richer waters then.

What's running?

I take whatever happens to rise up in my net, myself. A general shopping site.

I try to be ready for Christmas by the start of September, certainly all pages up and keywords placed. Think in the same way that retail stores do, prepare months in advance, then just let the drones do the work after that (yes I've been a drone).

I don't have a general store, I have a very unfashionable and it seems sometimes - very contentious and emotion generating content sites. At least folk here get worked up about them at times especially when we do well despite what they think we should do.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    scorey,

Brick-n-mortar Xmas season starts Thanksgiving weekend.

INTERNET xmas season, as Paul stated, starts in September.

My experience says we (internet) have about two more weeks of "wow, I made how much" sales, then two weeks of doing nothing but answering emails asking if something will get there by xmas,,,

followed by 2 weeks of sending visitors to merchants and loosing the sale because it's sooooo late customers HAVE to call in a sale hoping to beg or bribe a human to insure christmas delivery. (at this time I switch to giftcertificates.com and merchants who's phone lines say "due to overwhelming call volume, your wait will be about 20 minutes"

ABW Ambassador
    We're still over 2 - 3 weeks before the peak of online Christmas sales.

Busiest online day
    2002 Dec. 10
    2003 Dec. 15

"In the busy online shopping days leading up to the holidays, the work week starting December 13 will be the busiest, predicts the fourth annual holiday shopping study from marketing technology provider Atlas DMT."

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=13386

December was my best month last year, sales continued up to much later than I thought they would, to about the 20th, I even had sales on Christmas Day!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Online businesses have much different sales patterns than brick and morter. You realize it when your busiest traffic days are midweek and brick and morters are weekends.

Friday is black friday, the busiest shopping day of the year. But that is because people take the day off and have time to shop. If they are walking to the malls, then they aren't home and online buying what we have to offer.

Trust is right, our peak is usually a week or 10 days before the brick store's peak. Why is that? I believe its b/c of shipping delays? Who knows, I'm not a servey company you know :-)

Mike

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread