Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Firefox 4.0 Has Issues
    Normally a new version of Firefox is pretty good, but 4.0 is not ready for prime time. Just posting this in case anyone wants to miss a little frustration.

Firebug has a version for FF4.0 but it won't even start. Many of the add-ons don't have a compatible version.

On start up it launches a bunch of empty windows. I have had numerous crashes in web text editors when the editor needs to launch a new window for things like adding a image.

They will get it straightened out, but for a while I'll have to be using other browsers for some things.

2. Thanks From:

Yeah, my biggest pet peeve is now "close" closes the browser instead of the tab. I have a shortcut set on a mouse button that I've been using for years and it's really ticking me off.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I had to take it back off my computer too. Will stick with the 3.6, its doing fine.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Quote Originally Posted by sunshiner View Post
    I had to take it back off my computer too. Will stick with the 3.6, its doing fine.
    I'm with you Cindy. Just rolled mine back. It's just not ready as this thread at mozillaZine shows.

Thanks guys, I had heard from several folks that 4.0 was available but were having problems with it. So for now, I'll stick with my current 3.6 version.

Yeah, I heard about the speed boost supposedly happening with FF 4, so I waited eagerly for it. When I first started using it a couple of days ago, it was terrific.

Oddly enough, each day that I use it, it gets slower and slower making connections to servers and rendering pages. I have it set up to empty the cache on closing, so that shouldn't be an issue.

For now, I think I'll go back to Chrome as my default browser and let FF 4 ripen a bit. LOL!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

My experience is similar to Gary -- started well enough but got worse. In my case I had several full-on freezes loading some pages and went back to 3.6 tonight.

FF is disappointing me now a days. last week my FF 3.15 was crashed without any cause. last day it was crashed again. telling me to update but he couldn't find the update and can't run it. same thing happens constantly.
    all my book marks are gone. totally disappointed by them.

You can get your settings and bookmarks back. Visit Recovering important data from an old profile | How to | Firefox Help for how to do it.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I was having issues downloading the latest 3.6 version and it kept crashing. I have been only using version 4 for a few hours but pages seem to be loading a lot faster than with the previous version. I use a mac as well, maybe it's more stable than the windows version?

I talked to a guy on Drupal IRC who was loving 4 on Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

No problems (yet) with Firefox 3.6.16 -- I'll hold off on upgrading.

Firefox 3.6 is working well for me. I'll upgrade to version 4 when they get it straightened out :)
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

@John Powell - Thank you for the "heads up" on Firefox 4.0
    This is a "dual boot" box (CentOS 5.5 Linux and M$ Windows XP) and I am using Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x on both OS. After reading this thread, on the M$ Windows side, I changed the Firefox setting, so it will ask me, before doing an upgrade. Prior to that change, the upgrades were automatic.

I will wait, for Firefox 4.1.......

I am an early retired Software Engineering Consultant. In general, I would suggest staying away from x.0 releases of Software. Especially if it is an OS!

Not a good idea, to be "the first on your block"....

There was mention of the Google Chrome web browser in this thread. I have tried it, on M$ Windows XP. My wife and daughter use it, but I have found it has very serious issues, handling Cookies. I have 2 accounts on a cPanel Shared server. If I log out of one account with Chrome, and then want to log into the other account, I am immediately logged into the first account. That could be a Security issue. An annoyance is the difficulty I have when using Chrome, trying to select text, to "Copy" and "Paste". I believe Firefox 3.6.x is far more stable and robust and that Chrome is not ready for prime time.
    Last edited by Lanny; March 28th, 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Add data about Google Chrome web browser

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Firefox 3.6 is working well for me. I'll upgrade to version 4 when they get it straightened out
    I just rolled back after having tough time finding compatible addons ...

Most of the old addons stopped working with FF 4.0 and i was feeling kinda clueless so,
    i just went ahead and rolled it back all over to version 3.6.6

Both 3.6 and 4.0 seems kinda similar except some minor differences
    Last edited by Prodigal; March 29th, 2011 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Normally a new version of Firefox is pretty good, but 4.0 is not ready for prime time. Just posting this in case anyone wants to miss a little frustration.

Firebug has a version for FF4.0 but it won't even start. Many of the add-ons don't have a compatible version.

On start up it launches a bunch of empty windows. I have had numerous crashes in web text editors when the editor needs to launch a new window for things like adding a image.

They will get it straightened out, but for a while I'll have to be using other browsers for some things.
    Same things happen to me. I've download FF 4 but at the time of installing It's noticing error. My pc remain hanging.

I prefer FF over Safari (I'm a Mac gal) but it's always been buggy for me. A lot of times when I'm filling out forms I get the 404 error.

Would Chrome be better for a Mac? I have absolutely no experience with it.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Its working great for me on 64 Bit Win7. But ya I am missing a few addons.

Firefox Sync is nice
    Firefox 4.0.1 just came out. It's better but still no Firebug for me. I do like the Firefox Sync feature to share your Firefox bookmarks, history, tabs between devices.

I installed the Firefox Home app for the iPhone and synced them up and was impressed.

I'm in the IRC for #firebug and if I could make that work the rest would be bearable. If not I guess I'll roll back again.

I got some tips from Drupal folks and now have Firefox 4.0.1 working great. It's apparently an add-on conflict, but I'm not sure which one.

To fix I just disabled them all and then slowly by 3's and 4's enabled the main ones I really want. There were some that I rarely used.

So Firebug works and none of those extra windows opening. Really seems faster than 3.6, but may be due to dropping some dead weight in the add-on department.

mozilla 3.6 running fine on my PC but 4.0 not running fast.......

in FF 4.0 not working my Roboform now I use Chrome

It's always good to hear people aren't on IE anymore. My main site still receives 41% of it's traffic from IE(only 5% of that on IE9). As much as I'd love to build everything around HTML5/CSS3, it's just not feasible at this time - even with a forced Chrome frame.

Firefox is a great browser, there is a ton of customizable junk for it and it's gotten pretty fast over the versions. I haven't read much about the 4.0 release, but hope they quickly work out the bugs.

I started using Chrome a couple of years ago and can't imagine going back to anything else. It's unbelievably fast and has a pretty good selection of useful extensions and apps. A few of the extensions/apps that I use include; a photo editor that works great for manipulating manufacture photos for posting on my affiliate site, a lite HTML/FTP extension that allows me to quickly post a new page to my site from a template, and a few other productive tools that I've adapted to save myself a huge amount of time.

I think part of the reason I've embraced Chrome so much has been my switch to Cloud Computing. One of the joys of being a self-employed affiliate marketer is that I can move my office to a park on nice days and the cloud travels with me. Chrome has become a big part of that.

As a matter of fact, I've even gone so far as to remove my large platter drive from my computer and replaced it with two smaller(128g) sata 6.0 solid state drives in raid 0.

Thanks everyone for the warnings I had decided to upgrade to 4.0 later today so I will stick with what I have

Anyone know how to have the Symantec password toolbar appearon FF. It wasn't compatable with the lates FF upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast