Thread: Intriguing Industry Stats from buy.at & AWin's Inspire Event

Lightbulb Intriguing Industry Stats from buy.at & AWin's Inspire Event
    Digital Window (buy.at & Awin's parent company) hosted a UK event earlier this month called Inspire 2011. The gathering certainly lived up to its name, not only by motivating advertisers to actively engage with a new set of innovative technologies, but also by sparking much debate about the startling size, clout and potential of the digital advertising landscape.

Each guest speaker’s presentation was a rich source of captivating statistics and facts. So much so that the Twitter hash tag for the event (#Inspire2011) was buzzing with delegates sharing insightful little morsels.

Turn out on the day was also impressive, with over 250 digital marketers present! Even if you weren’t able to attend, we want to give you the lowdown on what we learned. We’ve scoured guest speaker presentations and social media chatter surrounding the event to bring you a collection of stats that may surprise and inspire you as well.

For a bit of Friday fun and education: did you know…
    • Around 80% of affiliate sales only involve interaction with a single affiliate.
    • Humorous video campaigns can really work to promote brand as well as going viral in their own right. Old Spice’s “the man your man could smell like” campaign received 1 billion impressions across various social channels but also increased traffic to the brand website by 300%.
    • Social media influencers have real selling power. After Stephen Fry’s one single tweet in praise of David Eagleman’s book Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives, sales increased by 6000% and the book rose from number 3,629 in the Amazon book chart to number 2.
    • An average Amazon product page features a whopping 90% social tools and only 10% product information.

Interested in reading more? Click here for a collection of 20+ morsels of information.

-Amy

I actually found some of the other comments more significant:
    • ComScore found a 0.07% click-through rate in the UK for static ... display ads. ... 3% of browsers are responsible for 64% the clicks. [But] display advertising ... can increase trademark search queries by 94% and site visitation by 72%.
    • ... only 33% of all users online trust online banners. More than 90% of these users trust the online recommendation of their friends. 70% even trust the online recommendation of strangers.
    • 66% of online transactions are abandoned due to price-comparisons, website difficulties, payment issues and add-on or hidden costs such as postage.
    • 22% of consumers who abandon their cart (the largest %) do so because of hidden fees or high costs – leaving a big opportunity to remarket to them with discounts soon after the “sale”.

http://blog.buy.at/friday-afternoon-inspire-ation/
    But I do take issue with this statement:

> "An average Amazon product page features a whopping 90% social tools and only 10% product information." <

I think the 90% figure is exaggerated, and the dichotomy is invalid (user-generated content includes lots of product information). And I really hate bad statistics.

First, I'll assume that by "average," they really mean, "most-frequently visited" pages, or product pages for bestseller books. In my experience, the vast majority of Amazon product pages (including "long tail") contain no social content (other than invitations to post a review).

But what are "social tools"?
    • Customer Reviews
    • Review feedback ("39 of 41 people found the following review helpful:" and "comments" to individual reviews)
    • Non-Customer reviews
    • Wish list
    • Related products ("Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought...")
    • Customer discussions
    • ListMania

Even if I include all of these as "social tools," and look only at a few prior-year bestseller-book pages, I count only about 60% of content as "social" (measured by size/pixels on the page; it might be 70% if measured only by word count).
    Last edited by markwelch; March 25th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Hi markwelch -

Thanks for the feedback! The stats were intended to spark a debate and knowledge sharing.

Regarding this statistic:
    > "An average Amazon product page features a whopping 90% social tools and only 10% product information." <

This actually came from Vincent Everts, our keynote speaker for the event. I found his posting of the stat on another presentation here on slide 29. I've invited him to join the conversation.

I think it really comes down to the definition of "social tools" as you've mentioned. He describes social tools as the recommendations and reviews that take up a majority of the product page after the initial information.

Thoughts?

-Amy
    Attached Images Attached Images

The page example shown in the diagram doesn't seem right, to me.

Here's the image for the Amazon product page for A Thousand Splendid Suns:

When I look at this page, and at other pages, I measure about 50% to 60% that's arguably "social."

I'll also point out that for many books, some of the "social content" is not very meaningful (especially the discussions, which are often not relevant to the book).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markwelch; March 25th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

I'm having a hard time viewing the image I'm guessing you're referring to this page?

If so, Vincent argues that each of these suggestion, review, editorial, and comment sections are considered "social tools"

• Frequently bought together - based on user behavior
    • Customers who bought this item also bought - also based on user behavior
    • Editorial reviews - comments/feedback from the editorial community
    • Customer reviews - opinions on the product from users
    • Consumers also bought items by - based on user behavior
    • What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item? - based on user behavior
    • Customer discussions - social interaction on the topic of this product

...etc.

Perhaps the term "social tools" is better explained as "user behavior" or "behavioral information" vs. strictly product details.

-Amy
    Last edited by Amy Ely; March 25th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Whatever term you use (perhaps "user-derived content" is more accurate, if we include content generated by users plus content that is derived from user data), and even if we treat "non-user" editorial reviews as "social," he's simply excluded a bunch of sections that are present on the page and which aren't user-derived.

He makes it appear that once the first "social" element appears on the page, all the rest of the page is "social," which simply isn't true.

My page image is difficult to view, of course, because it accurately represents the length of an Amazon product page -- here, a dozen screens full of content. (Product pages that are shorter generally contain a lower percentage of user-derived content.)

I don't dispute the importance of user-contributed content or user-derived data for an Amazon product page, and I agree that it's often a majority of the page content. It's just not 90%, nor even 80%.
    Last edited by markwelch; March 25th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup