Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Getting Credit for Others Transactions?
    Is this possible? That I could accidentally get credit for another affiliates transactions?

I have a merchant that once in January took away all my commissions for the month accusing me of 'fraud' saying that they couldn't find a banner on my site so I must have stolen another affiliate commissions. I was unable to resolve the issue but decided to continue to promote the merchant program.

Now today another transaction was reversed and the explanation was that it was "a referral from another affiliate".

I've asked them to inquire with ShareASale first because I don't see how this could happen, but of course have not heard back. I just don't think it's possible to get credit for something that belongs to another affiliate....trust me I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do that.

Thanks for any insight.

Jordan

15 years and counting
    You can use by mistake an other affiliate id in your links but you will not see the sales in your own reports.
    On the opposite, other affiliates can use by mistake your own id in their links. That's a way you can get credit for another affiliate transactions.

If a merchant is accusing you of "fraud" it could mean you're stuffing cookies or overwriting other affiliates cookies. It's an other way to get credit for something that belongs to another affiliate.

Not sure how I would get anothers id or how they would have mine. And I don't know what you mean by cookie stuffing or how you would overwrite anothers cookies. All too confusing to me and I don't get it but sounds like you know this kind of thing can happen, huh?

Jordan

Maybe the merchant had a 60 day cookie and you removed the banner the click came from from your site.

Lets say the customer bought on the 40th day of the cookie but when the merchant checked your site they couldn't find the banner because you had removed it but your cookie was still good.

Maybe that's what happened.

Either way - the merchant cheated you out of your commission.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

By the way - you need to get rid of that merchant and replace their links on your site with links from another merchant.

Who is the merchant?

It's Papeterie. I don't think they are intentionally trying to hurt me, I just think they don't understand how the tracking works.

So Papeterie sells invitations and she said the sale that was reversed couldn't have come from my site because my site caters to destination weddings and the invitation ordered had some other theme associated with it which just so happens another affiliate has that particular type of wedding site....something like that. So it would not be possible that someone could order this type of wedding invitation from a site that caters to destination weddings. So she is convinced that the tracking got messed up.

Jordan

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ummm...

1) Have you checked your affiliate links to make sure they are correct?
    2) Is this merchant on more than one network?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Their 7 Day Reversal rate is 33.33%. That means they are canceling one third of all the sales that affiliate make for them.

That's not good.

They go offline due to lack of funds all the time too.

You really need to replace them with another merchant.

Maybe Jordan could invite the merchant to participate in this thread and one the other or both might learn something from the experts watching?

12. Thanks From:

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by bnjordan12 View Post
    So it would not be possible that someone could order this type of wedding invitation from a site that caters to destination weddings. So she is convinced that the tracking got messed up.
    The merchant is messed up, not the tracking.
    You can get a sale from an unrelated site, unrelated theme, unrelated page... No need to cater to destination weddings to get a sale for a wedding invitation.
    What matters is your affiliate id in the link closing the sale. If there's no fraud, the commission is yours.

That's the most stupid reason for reversing a sale I heard in a long time.

that's ridiculous. dump them. it looks like they are reviewing every sale to see if it can be reversed. that's not the way this is supposed to work unless they have some weird terms. it looks like you are being cheated out of commissions.

have you ever promoted Amazon? you can send someone there on a link for a book about dogs and end up selling a 3D TV or a garter belt. you sent the customer so you get the commission.

Same with CSN Stores - your visitor can click on a baby stroller link and end up buying an entertainment center. You get the commission - you sent the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    that's ridiculous. dump them. it looks like they are reviewing every sale to see if it can be reversed. that's not the way this is supposed to work unless they have some weird terms. it looks like you are being cheated out of commissions.

have you ever promoted Amazon? you can send someone there on a link for a book about dogs and end up selling a 3D TV or a garter belt. you sent the customer so you get the commission.
    +1
    Absolutely seems like a clueless merchant to me. As a merchant, I see affiliate sales every day where the customer clicked on one particular item and ended up buying something different. Our affiliate program is a year and a half old and we have (so far) had ZERO reversals. Our feeling is that when YOU send US a customer and they buy something (anything) - then YOU deserve to be compensated.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

they have a 180 day cookie, so if you sent someone over there 5 months ago and they return to buy something completely different, then YOU should still get the commission (assuming your cookie is still there).

superCool has some merchants with 100+ day cookies and he has gotten credit for sales over 100 days out. very unlikely that the customer bought the same item they looked at 100 days ago.

seems to be a clueless merchant at best

I think you all are being very generous by calling the merchant clueless. The word that comes to mind for me is thief. This merchant is concocting reasons to reverse sales and should not be allowed to continue.

bnjordan12, you should open up a support ticket with SaS explaining the situation and reference this thread. I understand that they won't actually do anything about the situation, however, they may at least contact the merchant and explain what the contractual obligations of running an affiliate program are.

You may also want to contact your states Attorney Generals office, because in some states their actions may be deemed illegal (fraud). I'm not a lawyer, however you never know what may come of it.

Please keep us up to date no matter what happens. Frankly it's time that merchants that behave in this manner are kept under public scrutiny. Threads like this warn potential affiliates AND customers that they can't be trusted.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Please keep us up to date no matter what happens. Frankly it's time that merchants that behave in this manner are kept under public scrutiny. Threads like this warn potential affiliates AND customers that they can't be trusted.
    wow! Do you suppose that someone thinking of ordering from Papeterie might see this thread in the search results and worry about experiencing fraud in dealing with Papeterie themselves? Like Papeterie is not to be trusted?

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    wow! Do you suppose that someone thinking of ordering from Papeterie might see this thread in the search results and worry about experiencing fraud in dealing with Papeterie themselves? Like Papeterie is not to be trusted?
    I certainly hope that consumers see this thread prior to purchasing from Papeterie. They should understand that when dealing with Papeterie that they are dealing with a merchant that cheats their partners and make their buying decision accordingly.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Entirely possible - if a company will cheat their partners, would they think twice about cheating their customers?

D'Oh! I was just trying to make sure that these keywords were all together.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    The only reason for reversal in this situation is that there were 2 affiliates who got paid for the same sale. Other than that the merchant must pay you regardless of whether her can find a banner on your site.

Look at this scenario that happens all the time. You are promoting a merchants product, someone with a blog finds that product on your site and they post your affiliate link on their blog. Sales are generated. You should get the commission, if it wasn't for your link, the blogger wouldn't have found it and not posted it thus no sale.

This thing happens all the time and I happily take the money. This type of thing is also the reason when a merchant moves from one network to another and closes the account on original network affiliates lose money regardless of him/her replacing all their links.

Bottom line, if the merchant suspects fraud he should either pay the affiliate or terminate the relationship immediately (or both). If the merchant allows the relationship to continue, he/she must pay the commission.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    bnjordan12,

If you want us to look into it please make sure to submit a trouble ticket with all of the details, the more detail the better.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

There are cookies set on your affiliate link which usually expires after a certain number of days. As long as your customers have their cookies enabled, do not clear the cookies from their browser, do not click on someone else's affiliate link after yours and if they purchase when your affiliate link is still on their browsers, then you will be credited with the referral.

ShareASale can track the sales through your website. They can determine the total amount of commission and the affiliate that was responsible for the sale. They also have tools they used to monitor any suspicious activity to prevent fraud. I'm sure they can clear it up and resolve this issue for you!
    Last edited by affilorama; March 27th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    Look at this scenario that happens all the time. You are promoting a merchants product, someone with a blog finds that product on your site and they post your affiliate link on their blog. Sales are generated. You should get the commission, if it wasn't for your link, the blogger wouldn't have found it and not posted it thus no sale.
    Something like this happened to me the other day. I got credited for a sale, but the referring link led back to a Facebook page. I don't do any affiliate marketing on Facebook, so lucky for me!

:coffeetim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast