States eye tax on web dealings
    Here's is a link to an article in my local newspaper.

I'm sure it's syndicated to others but didn't see it posted here.

2. Thanks From:

Interesting article, on AP services so it can show up anywhere, I see it is quoting Rebecca Madigan of PMA and at least mentions affiliate businesses closing and moving out of clueless states. Thanks for the link.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Pretty good article. I tried reading it as a non-affiliate/outsider/consumer, and I felt no sympathy for the States - only greed and ineptness. Don't know how much of that is actually my own personal beliefs - but I hope other citizens will feel that way as well...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Tax Paying Member
    For what it is worth...........

The article mentions Amazon is building in Florence.
    It is my understanding that the distribution center is being built in the suburbs of Columbia, the state capital, and those folks are extremely happy to have the job opportunities
    and the peripheral business that will be generated

I would gather that Amazon and the state of SC have an understanding about sales tax.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Lisa Picarille of the PMA wrote a great article furthering the discussion here: Lack of Sales Tax Not the Driver for Online Shoppers*|*Performance Marketing Association

My comment:
    What is interesting to me is that if “92 percent of all shopping by consumers is still happening in brick-and-mortar stores” but online retail is growing by 14% according to Internet Retailer that the biggest retailers (Wal-mart, Target, Sear) are some of the worse affiliate programs. They are going out of their way to make it difficult to sell their products online in favor of getting consumers to purchase in store. Taxes aside it makes sense for them to drive Amazon affiliate out of business which they are trying to do.

Who should be on the bandwagon to help support the defeat of the Amazon Tax are the shipping companies. Online sales will continue to increase due to all of the reasons you mention and will accelerate as gas prices continue to go up. If big retailers were smart they would encourage online shopping and free local delivery thus consumers would get the convenience, money would stay local and taxes would get paid. Ten minute pickup isn’t going to help the single soccer mom (I married one) who has limited time, gas and money.

It is hypocritical for Big box Retailers to preach they want to help Main Street retailer since their business model has largely wiped out local merchants. Know who you get into bed with Main Street retailers.

Tax Paying Member
    I was in Columbia, SC today. I asked about the progress being made on the new Amazon distribution center. My friends informed me that it had been canceled because of a misunderstanding about tax breaks.

They also told me that W---M--- was gona build "x"number of new stores.

I found this article in the news paper.

News paper article: http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/04/...ouse-vote.html
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; May 6th, 2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Split this off if you feel it is not a continuation.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

That's a shame, there seems to be some shortsighted legislature members. Amazon will continue to sell goods to people in SC and not collect any sales tax. All they did is lose new jobs and likely cost old ones.
    Last edited by 2busy; May 5th, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: repaired error

Tax Paying Member
    I do not know how affiliates factor into this happening. Seems to be a sudden move.
    Last edited by Witzer; May 5th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Witzer, this has been brewing for several weeks and is unfortunate. Texas lost one too and over 1000 potential jobs. Wal-Mart plans to build a store on every corner in the US and China....

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread