Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eBay buys GSI Commerce
    Holly Cow... Ebay just bought GSI Commerce, which owns Pepperjam and manages such affiliate programs as Toys R Us, GNC, and Ace Hardware for $2.4 billion dollars.

eBay Acquires GSI Commerce For $2.4 Billion In Cash And Debt
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 28th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

15 years and counting
    I don't understand all this. It does't make sense. I don't see the synergy:
    eBay says it expects GSI clients to benefit from eBay’s Marketplaces and PayPal services, particularly.
    Is it sounding like a good reason?
    What's next, Google buying eBay?

wow, that's big news. What will this mean for the FF purchase I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I bet eBay wants GSI Commerce's fortune 500 clients to sell on eBay.com. eBay needs to become more like Amazon marketplace, this might be a step in that direction. At least they hope that it will be.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

Is it sounding like a good reason?
    What's next, Google buying eBay?
    I agree totally, it's a strange marriage.

For those of us trying to diversify, the landscape is getting confusing.
    Last edited by ToughTurkey; March 28th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

I bet eBay wants GSI Commerce's fortune 500 clients to sell on eBay.com. eBay needs to become more like Amazon marketplace, this might be a step in that direction. At least they hope that it will be.
    Bingo.

"eBay's reason for buying it is undoubtedly part of its plan to become more of a big-brand e-commerce player like Amazon rather than a hub for independently run auctions and the garage-sale vibe that made it famous."

Read more: eBay to buy GSI Commerce for $2.4 billion | The Social - CNET News

15 years and counting
    If eBay has to buy GSI Commerce's fortune 500 clients to sell on eBay.com, it means they have a hard time to find new merchants. I bet it's also going to be hard to swallow for some of the merchants already in their marketplace.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think that is the only way for eBay to grow and keep Wall Street happy. Like Amazon, they have purchased quite a few companies from Zappo's to LivingSocial

15 years and counting
    "eBay's reason for buying it is undoubtedly part of its plan to become more of a big-brand e-commerce player like Amazon rather than a hub for independently run auctions and the garage-sale vibe that made it famous."
    It's a dangerous turn. Do they really want to compete with the people that made them famous?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Doesn't really effect the Football Fanatics deal at all since the FF acquisition by GSI closed on March 15th.

Will let everyone know what the corporate folks have to share on this.

So far, the GSI acquisition hasn't affected the FF affiliate program at all.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

a hub for independently run auctions and the garage-sale vibe that made it famous
    Has it not occurred to them to return to the business model that made them successful? With the economy in its current state, it seems to be the perfect time to bring the garage-sale vibe back, thereby attracting millions of new buyers & sellers..

No, they just want the corporate business.. how short-sighted.

Interesting paragraph from TechCrunch

As part of the transaction, eBay will divest businesses that it says are not core to its long-term growth strategy. The divestiture includes 100 percent of GSI’s licensed sports merchandise business and 70 percent of ShopRunner and Rue La La.

These assets will be sold to a newly formed holding company, which will be led by GSI founder and CEO Michael Rubin. eBay will loan said company $467 million in total, while Rubin will invest an additional $31 million in cash.

Love to hear what's up on this.
    Last edited by AffiliateWarrior; March 28th, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: left out an important paragraph

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Wow, imagine all the behind scenes stuff on this acquisition.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Interesting paragraph from TechCrunch

As part of the transaction, eBay will divest businesses that it says are not core to its long-term growth strategy. The divestiture includes 100 percent of GSI’s licensed sports merchandise business and 70 percent of ShopRunner and Rue La La.

These assets will be sold to a newly formed holding company, which will be led by GSI founder and CEO Michael Rubin. eBay will loan said company $467 million in total, while Rubin will invest an additional $31 million in cash.

Love to hear what's up on this.
    I think that is pretty common in a biz transaction / acquisition where they either spin off or sell off part of the company. Performics sold off part of the biz when G acquired them.

Thus, I think Rubin will be too bored sitting at home

Wow. Doesn't GSI have some incredible inventory management tools as well? Maybe they bought for technology as well.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's your answer on FootballFanatics.com:

EBay will divest much of its interest in several parts of GSI’s business, including 100% of GSI’s Fanatics Inc. unit, which sells licensed sports merchandise. GSI purchased Fanatics last month for $277 million. EBay will also sell off 70% of flash-sale site Rue La La (No. 103) and 70% of ShopRunner, the shipping program GSI launched last year that aims to compete with Amazon’s Prime shipping program. EBay says these businesses are not aligned with its long-term growth strategy. Rubin will run ShopRunner, Rue La La and the sports merchandising business as part of a separate holding company. EBay will loan the holding company $467 million and retain a 30% stake in ShopRunner and Rue La La businesses. Rubin will invest $31 million. Internet Retailer Article Here:

ABW Ambassador
    Already lawsuits are flying on this deal!
    They suspect that Michael Rubin cheated on the shareholders and walking away with a side deal of (Rue La La, ShopRunner and a huge loan from eBay) while depriving the current shareholders with nothing on the assets of (Rue La La, ShopRunner and a huge loan from eBay)

This DEAL sounds shady and already a few law firms filed law suits investigating this DEAL.

ABW Ambassador
    Lawsuit 1 - www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110328006827/en/Law-Offices-Howard-G.-Smith-Announces-Investigation

Lawsuit 2 - www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110328006830/en/Robbins-Umeda-LLP-Investigating-GSI-Commerce-Acquisition

Lawsuit 3 - finance.yahoo.com/news/The-Law-Office-of-Abe-bw-1177191982.html?x=0&.v=1

There seems to be more lawsuits than the above three all suspecting why the CEO is walking away with a side deal or some other sort of shady stuff ...
    Last edited by 2busy; March 29th, 2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: unlinked URLs

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Wow, imagine all the behind scenes stuff on this acquisition.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall...
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    Already lawsuits are flying on this deal!
    They suspect that Michael Rubin cheated on the shareholders and walking away with a side deal of (Rue La La, ShopRunner and a huge loan from eBay) while depriving the current shareholders with nothing on the assets of (Rue La La, ShopRunner and a huge loan from eBay)

This DEAL sounds shady and already a few law firms filed law suits investigating this DEAL.
    Lawsuit 1 - www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110328006827/en/Law-Offices-Howard-G.-Smith-Announces-Investigation
    Lawsuit 2 - www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110328006830/en/Robbins-Umeda-LLP-Investigating-GSI-Commerce-Acquisition

Lawsuit 3 - finance.yahoo.com/news/The-Law-Office-of-Abe-bw-1177191982.html?x=0&.v=1

There seems to be more lawsuits than the above three all suspecting why the CEO is walking away with a side deal or some other sort of shady stuff ...
    Last edited by 2busy; March 29th, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: unlinked URLs

wow - this is just going to be all kinds of fun to watch play out.

redtagdeals, please stop churning rumors with your false statements. It doesn't appear that anyone has filed a lawsuit yet.

A law firm's announcement that it is "investigating" something is not a lawsuit. It's really just a solicitation to attract inquiries from shareholders as prospective clients of the law firm.

If I announced today that I were "investigating" Microsoft's treatment of dolphins and pandas, I would (and should) be ignored.

Such announcements are meaningless -- but by citing and linking to these law firms' announcements on a popular forum with high PageRank, you've created (false) meaning. By falsely stating (repeatedly) that there are lawsuits, you've done exactly what these law firms wanted -- you've dragged the reputation of the companies into the gutter.

I just googled "gsi ebay lawsuit" and this ABW thread is the top result.

I have no financial interest in this merger. I haven't done business with GSI or PepperJam; over the past few years, I earned $70 [total] from FootballFanatics' affiliate program (for advertising on sites I no longer operate).
    Last edited by markwelch; March 29th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks for the clarification there Mark - saved me the post with the same message. Lawyers have been known to "fish" aggressively for a case, especially when there is a lot of money involved.

ABW Ambassador
    Mark - thanks for the clarification ... on my misinterpretation of investigations as lawsuits. At least the deal aroused many law firms to start investigations into the deal. I have not seen so many legal firms announcing investigations following a deal of this sort.

Any case, I linked to lawfirms investigating into the deal ...!. There is no need for me to churn rumors and make false statements. I have linked to what I found and I really thought these investigations are really lawsuits!! Any case, thanks for the clarification that these are only investigations!!

ABW Ambassador
    Wow - this is certainly interesting. I checked yahoo finance today, and two firms have downgraded GSIC Quotes for GSIC - Yahoo! Finance as well as more lawfirms announcing investigations GSIC: Summary for GSI Commerce, Inc.- Yahoo! Finance

Certainly many lawfirms have taken note of the deal for investigations as of now based on what I am seeing on Yahoo / Google Finance!

...more lawfirms announcing investigations ... Certainly many lawfirms have taken note of the deal for investigations as of now based on what I am seeing on Yahoo / Google Finance!
    Please, please, pray for the poor, suffering dolphins and pandas!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast