Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    If I Used GoDaddy I Would Leave - Please Consider That
    The elephant is a magnificent, highly intelligent creature, that since the dawn of man has been made to suffer at his hand.

Elephants are social animals, living in lifelong family units, with highly developed senses and communication abilities.

Elephants have been the subject of wonder, to their detriment, being hunted for display, for their ivory tusks, and to rid the land of their presence for the convenience of man.

Amazingly, this is still occurring today, and the founder and CEO of GoDaddy is a participant. For the past two years, GoDaddy's Bob Parsons has vacationed in Zimbabwe in order to participate in the shooting and killing of elephants.

In his words, he describes the animals as "problem elephants" and their killing as "rewarding".

The African elephants he has been shooting are listed as endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act and by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.

"Elephants face enough threats, such as habitat loss, poaching and drought, to be ambushed and killed by hunters," said Grace Gabriel, IFAW Asia [International Fund for Animal Welfare] regional director. "There are better ways to alleviate human-elephant conflicts without inflicting harm to elephants."

Please read the entire article on this: Activists slam Go Daddy CEO for elephant hunt

It is easy for me to ask others to change their domain registration and hosting away from GoDaddy, as I have never used them, but please consider doing so.

Thank you for considering this.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    ... It is easy for me to ask others to change their domain registration and hosting away from GoDaddy, as I have never used them, but please consider doing so.

Thank you for considering this.
    Just asking: Would it be appropriate for you to suggest a domain registrar comparable to (or maybe better than!) GoDaddy for those who might wish to take your suggestion seriously and jump away from GoDaddy?

Don't know how ABW policies would impact someone making suggestions in this thread or what?

FYI -- I don't use GoDaddy, either. But I suspect the domain registrar I use is a GoDaddy reseller, so I would consider moving some domains I have coming up for renewal in April.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Gary, thanks for the great response.

I do not think recommendations (without aff links) would be a problem, but...

The registration co that I've used the last few years has recently raised prices and lowered usability and I do not think I can really recommend them now.

I primarily use Hostgator for hosting and have always been satisfied with them.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I only have a few domains at GoDaddy - but have never bought one there. Occasionally when I buy a domain, on one of the domain forums, the seller has it registered at G/D. It is usually an easy and fast "push" to move domains within the same registrar to another account. When they come up for renewal I then transfer them to one of my "main" registrars, Moniker or eNom (both of which have better priding than G/D).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ... Moniker or eNom (both of which have better priding than G/D).
    Maybe I'm just gettin' old -- but I went to both moniker.com and enom.com, and couldn't find a simple price list anywhere. Has every website on earth given itself over so much to marketing that it can't do a simple price list??

Not meaning to rant there, really I'm not.

The domain registrar I use will show me up front how much .com .org and .net domains generally go for -- aside from those that are "premium" or being sold at auction, etc.

Am I just needing to look somewhere to find that info, Bill?

Thanks.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I only have a few domains at GoDaddy - but have never bought one there. Occasionally when I buy a domain, on one of the domain forums, the seller has it registered at G/D. It is usually an easy and fast "push" to move domains within the same registrar to another account. When they come up for renewal I then transfer them to one of my "main" registrars, Moniker or eNom (both of which have better priding than G/D).
    Thanks to Bill's recommendation some months ago I have moved 95% of the domains I had at G/D.

They just made me mad with their constant up-sell efforts and advertising that tells me that they think I'm stupid enough to buy because of a pretty girl. They send domain expiration warnings constantly and way too far ahead for my liking.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Moniker is Good you can look around a little for the price, its less than $10.

Namecheap is running a transfer special today and tomorrow, piggybacking on this elephant shoot. $4.99 com/net/org transfers only, limit 10. And they give $1 from each for Elephant protection:

NameCheap Blog » Transfer for $4.99 and Help Save the Elephants
    Last edited by andbeyond; March 31st, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Thank you for posting this deal andbeyond - I hope EVERYONE using Godaddy will switch and though I know nothing about Namecheap this looks like a great deal.

ABW Ambassador
    TI hope EVERYONE using Godaddy will switch
    +1

That GoDaddy CEO and the Elephant Killer is a criminal and more of a menace to this society than the elephants!

Thank you for posting this deal andbeyond - I hope EVERYONE using Godaddy will switch and though I know nothing about Namecheap this looks like a great deal.
    I switched all. Had some GoDaddy domains coming up for renewal & like John, was pretty tired of jumping endless hoops before you could check out + his sorry, retro sexist marketing + being bombarded with email specials.

Bob Parson's boasts about killing an elephant is beyond words. I guess he never heard the proverb about teaching a man to fish. The farming situation in Zimbabwe is desperate but that is a political situation beyond the scope of this forum. He capitalized on their horrendous poverty with a one-shot deal (pun intended). IMO, "one-act" plays don't qualify a person for humanitarian stature.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    He capitalized on their horrendous poverty with a one-shot deal (pun intended). IMO, "one-act" plays don't qualify a person for humanitarian stature.
    Well Said!

@ Gary the WriterGuy...
    Am I just needing to look somewhere to find that info, Bill?
    Search for a domain and the list of available names will have pricing with them. Dot-coms appear to be $8.99 (as of today) - from this list:
    • .COM - $8.99
    • .ORG - $8.82
    • .BIZ - $8.98
    • .INFO - $8.02
    • .US - $7.29
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

And now this video was heavily edited! It also came out that he did not kill a bull elephant but a young female.
    Renée

ABW Ambassador
    The video is still disgusting and what this Bob did was simply wrong.

What this Bob does not know is that if somebody shoots him down, that the same villagers there will butcher him and eat his meat too!!. Sadly, I would not feel bad if that were to happen to him on one of his next trips there!

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    The video is still disgusting and what this Bob did was simply wrong.

What this Bob does not know is that if somebody shoots him down, that the same villagers there will butcher him and eat his meat too!!. Sadly, I would not feel bad if that were to happen to him on one of his next trips there!
    Ah, yes, a nice bobburger:

:

In his original video (especially BEFORE it was heavily edited in response to the massive amount of criticism unleashed against both him personally and Godaddy), Parsons took the position that he was doing beneficial work for the people of Zimbabwe.

Now, however, various Zimbabwean officials and animal rights advocates have issued statements further decrying his actions, and commenting on the horror and insensitivity of his actions.

From Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force:
    Parsons "is totally misinformed about what is going on here. I wish he knew the truth." He said hunters like Parsons don't understand how the corrupt government has led to the collapse of the economy and destruction of wildlife. "...he is supporting a terrible system that is not helping the poor people on the ground. Coming here with all his wealth for these unethical hunts and killing elephants is not helping anyone. It's perpetuating a horrible cycle in this country of traumatized animals and desperate people. And by telling them to eat meat the way he did and giving them his caps is like treating them like slaves."

From Patrick Webb, president of the National Wildlife Humane Society: "Parsons claims he's a hero for feeding the local villagers elephant meat for a few days. For $30 grand, he could have fed them for a year. Or he could have built fences, or set them up in the beekeeping business (keeps eles away and adds income). His enormous ego won't allow him to simply admit he enjoys killing big, beautiful, iconic species." [Parsons had said the hunting trip cost him $60,000 to $70,000.]

17. Thanks From:

IMO, saying those villagers might be cannibals is as horrific. Sorry, don't find that portrayal of them funny at all.
    Renée

19. Thanks From:

IMO, saying those villagers might be cannibals is as horrific. Sorry, don't find that portrayal of them funny at all.
    You are absolutely right and I apologize for carrying on the "joke".

ABW Ambassador
    That was not my intent!!. I meant that these villagers are poor and hungry and they will probably go for anything that they can get hands on to eat. Sorry my anger on Bob came across with a sad portrayal of villagers.

Thanks guys, I do understand! This whole issue brought out the "PC" in me...not something to whch I usually ascribe, but it happens.
    Renée

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread