Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Backlinks for SEO? What's a Backlink?
    In the past few months we have seen quite an increase in threads and posts regarding "backlinks" for SEO that show a poor understanding of what backlinks are. Backlinks cannot be created by the site that benefits from them other than a little spam for traffic in social bookmarking sites. These are not backlinks, they are spam links. You cannot create backlinks to your site. Backlinks are links created by site owners to offer their visitors interesting topics or content. These backlinks are a valuable factor in getting your site ranked. If you understand the nature of backlinks you can see how futile it is to think of creating backlinks yourself or building your own backlinks. Comment spam on a blog is not a backlink. Forum signatures are not the same as a backlink. Self created links anywhere do not carry the weight of a valid backlink.

You can work on getting a backlink from another site but you can't build your own. Contacting a related blog or site and letting them know that you have content that might interest their visitors is one way to work on your backlinks. Another way is to link to other sites' content from your site and hope that they see that your site has good content that they should link to. Asking a site about a guest post or article is another valid way to build backlinks.

See what some true backlink authorities tell us about link values, link schemes and link spam:
    Link Building 101 - Yoast
    "..links have a very real influence on rankings in search engines. How it works and in which ways a link can influence your ranking is often unclear though, resulting in many myths. This link building 101 tries to explain the basics of link building and to refute some of the myths around it."

Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help
    "Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity. However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites."

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Quality links to your site
    "It's important to clarify that any legitimate link building strategy is a long-term effort. There are those who advocate for short-lived, often spammy methods, but these are not advisable if you care for your site's reputation. Buying PageRank-passing links or randomly exchanging links are the worst ways of attempting to gather links and they're likely to have no positive impact on your site's performance over time. If your site's visibility in the Google index is important to you it's best to avoid them.

Directory entries are often mentioned as another way to promote young sites in the Google index. There are great, topical directories that add value to the Internet. But there are not many of them in proportion to those of lower quality. If you decide to submit your site to a directory, make sure it's on topic, moderated, and well structured. Mass submissions, which are sometimes offered as a quick work-around SEO method, are mostly useless and not likely to serve your purposes.

It can be a good idea to take a look at similar sites in other markets and identify the elements of those sites that might work well for yours, too. However, it's important not to just copy success stories but to adapt them, so that they provide unique value for your visitors."

Have you found ways to build valuable backlinks?

Hi 2busy very nice post - thank you.
    May i ask the extended reader base, how many back links make a site or help a site to be p1 in search engine results? And how much influence does backlinks have on the earnings of a site?
    The reason i ask - is that i have never really danced to the tune of these guru type of statements.
    I have been around for a long time learning my craft, i have read and read and read this type of stuff - along with all the other, you must do this type of posts.
    I despise the spammy type of backlink (heck i even had my forum name change here as the volume of spam increase 4 fold when i joined) I dont have blogs anymore as the spam filter was always blocking the type of "back links" you describe.
    It has always been a rule of mine to not follow the masses - i prefer to do things my way, and yet i have a site with maybe what, 20 BL's (i have not checked in an age) I have between 4-6 positions in the top 10 in google/bing and i guess if i checked yahoo a similar amount. I hold Position 1 in google and bing for my keywords against 10.100.1000 results and even for the most basic search term i rank in the top 10 against 8.5 mill results.
    Further i have a site - that earns me high 3 figures and dont even know where that ranks, but it constantly brings in high 3 figures and i have never promoted it save maybe a couple of articles.
    So for me, what i do, seems to work, so it is with great interest that i ask these questions.
    It does make me wonder though what real back links might do for some of my web sites.
    Once again thank you for the very informative post, and i look forward to other members comments.
    JIM

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ewh View Post
    May i ask the extended reader base, how many back links make a site or help a site to be p1 in search engine results? And how much influence does backlinks have on the earnings of a site?
    It's not an issue of how many inbound links, it's the quality of those links that are gained naturally over time. 10 inbound links from 10 highly relevant, authority websites are worth lots more (and are a lot safer to the long term viability of the site's reputation) than 1000 inbound links gained by blog comment spam and/or buying links.

I wouldn't say the links themselves have direct influence over a site's earnings, but they do have indirect influence b/c those are what can help a site gain high SE placement..and a no. 1 position in Google on a product people are looking to buy wins the conversion race most of the time.. esp in Q4.

4. Thanks From:
    ewh

Thank you Gary
    So i did a link search in google for my main phrase a 3 word phrase. Google shows 29 links, 16 are from my own web site or another site i have based on the same topic the rest are mom and pop links back to my sites home page. (folk who have gained something from my site - and have kindly linked to my homepage)
    Incidentally - i dont really monitise this particular web site as it is a tutorial site - or a scrap book site if you like, giving tit bit information and tutorials. It does have a forum with some 3000 plus members. I have never actively promoted it yet i hold the top 3 positions in google with the first position having site links displayed and it is the same in bing. In fact after the first page in G i have 1 or 2 links in each page upto page 4.
    I am not boasting here, nor will i become complacent! But it does intrigue me as to how i can dominate the search engine results based on such a flimsy back link basis.
    I dont sell anything but i have adsense in the site and the forum - which make what, a couple of hundred a month and has done so for a couple of years in the same way that it has held these positions for a couple of years.
    I dont do black hat it is one of my original sites and i have done very little for a long time.

The other site i mentioned previously - for me falls into the thin content camp and was an original site for my learning affiliate marketing, as i have said i have no idea where it is in term of the search engines, but all i need to know is it does well each month.
    Does anyone, have similar sites. I dont think i am just Lucky as i have other sites that repeat these trends.
    Thank you in anticipation.
    JIM

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ewh View Post
    I dont do black hat it is one of my original sites and i have done very little for a long time.
    Jim, If by that you mean the site has been online for a long time, I believe that's very relevant to the discussion. In my experience over the years, sites that have been in good standing and online for a long period time seem to have an advantage in the SERPs. I think you'll find that if it's been stagnant, yet online for a while, it won't be half the challenge to win prominent placement for relevant content additions.

7. Thanks From:
    ewh

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Thank you for this article! I somehow missed that article from Yoast......linkbuilding is still one of the main things I struggle with!

True, you can't really create the majority of backlinks, since they come from other sites...

BUT, you can create some backlinks on your own through LinkedIn, Biznik, Meetup, Facebook, blogs, etc. Unfortunately, the majority of backlinks I see on people's profiles are very generic. Like, on LinkedIn, they'll have a link to their website titled, "my company website."

What a waste of being able to use keywords and backlinking!

BUT, you can create some backlinks on your own through LinkedIn, Biznik, Meetup, Facebook, blogs, etc. Unfortunately, the majority of backlinks I see on people's profiles are very generic. Like, on LinkedIn, they'll have a link to their website titled, "my company website."

What a waste of being able to use keywords and backlinking!
    Those kinds of links that you add to your profile at forums and social sites are not considered Backlinks according to the discussions by the folks at Google and other authorities. That was the point of the articles.

Really?

The Google folks I deal with showed me the difference between the two. Of course, Google is always changing their algorithm, so it may have changed since last I spoke...

Backlinks
    Basically are links to your websites from others websites. they play major role in improving ranking of your site on search engines

I thought I understood backlinks but this thread has me a bit puzzled.

If I make a post on my blog and make reference to an article from an authority site, e.g. say I wrote "This article on Gold widgets comes from ABC widgets.com" have I created a backlink or not?

Regards

No, ABCwidgets.com has just received a backlink and yes, you created it.

Thanks 2busy,

I have just re read your opening post in this thread and now realise that somehow I have to encourage other site owners to establish a link to my sites.

Something new to learn every day, many thanks

A good way to do that is to put up an article that would be very helpful to the visitors of another site that is "long tail" related to your site. Contact the site and if you can interest them to read it, they may give your article a link from their site, or ask you to write a guest article for their site. The most valuable links are not traded or bought, they are links from other sites who think your site is helpful or useful to their traffic.

I have a site with only about 2 dozen backlinks, but they are all natural and the site has been at the top of the SERPs for its little niche for close to 10 years.

Thank you again for the advice

I, too, appreciate this information on backlinks.

No wonder so many in my industry have requested me to link to them. They need my help!

Shirley

It looks like i have wasted a huge amount of time and effort then
    I think i'll just email all the other people i know in my profession and try to get them all to link to each other in articles etc.

Link building....... A place where I must master..

Articles are a good way of getting backlinks, right? Since the content you write is definitely relevant to the content of your site....

Article marketing has been an excellent way to have links back to your site, but it is less valuable than an actual backlink which is an explicit endorsement because it is part of the package.

Article sites have recently fallen from favor and are struggling to have better content now to regain their lost value. Another problem with article marketing is that once your articles are available at other sites they are often mangled by spinners and probably not what you'd like to have a link from any more (if they do leave the link at all).

You are better off to have your articles on your own site and forget about the backlink part of the equation.

Affiliate Manager RobinD4Hypnosis's Avatar
    Hello All,
    This is slightly off the subject but relevant I think. How about Blogrolls? Are they not a good form of backlinks? Of course this is if your fellow Blogger reciprocates. Plus, it would most likely be a backlink that is in your niche.
    Your thoughts?

From a few experiences of mine I have come to understand that gogle works very much on the "Natural order" of things.

Too many backlinks on newer sites is not natural and should actually cause you to drop in ranking unless google finds the links to be relevant and not paid for.

However, too few backlinks shows google that you have no relevance to any one, which obviously is also bad.

The real benefit of linking is for the google bots to access your site as often as possible from as many relative content sites as possible. (I know this counters what I said earlier about too many back links, but as far as I know it has also got a time factor added to it)

2Busy, thanks for this interesting topic, I think we all have a lot to share and to learn here
    Last edited by JasonMeds; May 16th, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
    Jason Wolme
    Affiliate Manager
    medspartners.com

Also my thanks to 2 Busy. Apologies if I am slow on the uptake but I seek some newbie clarity. I have written a few articles on Blogs that I have been a member of for a number of years. Now (retired) I am trying to be an affiliate and my intention will be to post relevant articles to the good original content on my relatively new affiliate sites. I then intend to use social networking sites to link to the article blogs. So for example the end resulting links would be : Delicious linking to xyzarticles linking to xyz.com. Any comments on this strategy would be appreciated. Is this backlinking?

So for example the end resulting links would be : Delicious linking to xyzarticles linking to xyz.com. Any comments on this strategy would be appreciated. Is this backlinking?
    No, this would be driving traffic to article sites. You are better off to write articles for your own site and spam Delicious with links to your own site. You can build links to your site, but those are not called backlinks. Backlinks need to be created by other sites in the content of their sites with relevant anchor text.

Article marketing was an excellent way to build traffic, before the latest changes to Google. See http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1080535-post20.html
    With so many article scrapers and spinners it was bound to happen.

The keypoint is, those "none-backlinks" still are beneficial for keyword rank and getting traffic.
    Last edited by StoneWilson; June 1st, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast