Need a little help deciding which way to go
    Hi everyone, I've been looking around at different marketing choices for a new product. It's a kids card game, and the market research we did put the value at $19.97. Since it's a physical product, we have production and distribution costs which means not a lot of room for high commissions.

I've done the market research, research and development, legal mumbo jumbo for Copyright and TM protection, manufacturing and distribution set up, marketing campaign set up, and set up the site... all that's left now is to leverage the marketing efforts through some kind of affiliate program, but I'm not sure which way to go.

So far, I've been seriously considering putting it in the Amazon marketplace, where commissions of 4% are pretty common, but I haven't looked into the rest of the costs yet.

I've also considered shareasale, but that doesn't seem right for me either.

I've thought about buying an email blast through DMA, since I have a few blogs and websites in the parenting niche, I can find other products to cross promote to any lists I build from the blast (I'll either have them optin for something before they see the game, or I'll collect the email from the contact info after the sale...)

Are there any other networks I should consider for an affiliate program?

I would be especially interested in one where the affiliates might be in the B2B area of parenting, and might be able to get bulk purchase orders from stores that sell children's products.

Thanks for any advice.

-Dani

CPA Network Rep
    Are you looking for email distribution or are you looking for a list?

If you are leaning toward distribution, I wouldn't suggest the big networks.

Are you willing to take your program in-house?

Several observations:
    • Amazon's base commission rate is 4% but most active affiliates earn 6% to 7%.
    • It almost certainly makes sense to offer your product through the Amazon Marketplace (even better if you can get Amazon to stock your product).
    • By using the phrase "email blast," you've answered your own question; don't do it! See Would you consider sending email blast as spamming? - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    • Spend some time reading through this sub-forum; I've also shared some advice in the articles linked from my signature, below.

That's what Amazon PAYS, but what they charge for stores to be listed on their site is quite a bit higher. It's been years since I looked, but I thought it was 20%.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Courtney,
    I'm not sure of the difference between email distribution and a list. But the more I look at the various fees plus commissions for affiliates, the less that direction seems to be a good move for me.

MarkWelch, the email blast is sent out by the DMA to members who single or double opted in (my choice) to recieve information in the niche. The email goes to the prospect from whatever site/list/newsletter they opted in for, as a 'recommendation' to check out my product.

I was up until 2 am last night studying the costs of the Amazon marketplace, which at first seemed fairly reasonable, but the hidden costs killed the margin again. I did however find an interesting ppc opportunity that I set up today and am waiting for approval on right now.

MichaleCohley,
    The flat price is $39.99 a month, but then there are the hidden costs. I spoke to a rep today to see about production and fulfillment directly through Amazon. I'm reading over some information about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniS View Post
    The flat price is $39.99 a month, but then there are the hidden costs. I spoke to a rep today to see about production and fulfillment directly through Amazon. I'm reading over some information about it now.
    You can find more details here:

Sell products online with Amazon Seller Central Marketplace

It looks like it $39.99 per month + 15% referral fee (more or less for some categories) + $1.35 per item (more or less for some categories) + $0.99 per item + more if you want Amazon to fulfill orders.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    You can find more details here:

Sell products online with Amazon Seller Central Marketplace

It looks like it $39.99 per month + 15% referral fee (more or less for some categories) + $1.35 per item (more or less for some categories) + $0.99 per item + more if you want Amazon to fulfill orders.

Thanks. With a $19.97 price point, those numbers don't make much sense.

-Dani

Just thought I'd add this... I found the Amazon Product Ads ppc and tried it. So far, it sucks. LOL. It took 5 support calls just to get the product ad catalog set up, and after all that, they told me there is no way to find out where my ads are being displayed.

-Dani

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread