What is the right email frequency to send publishers
    We are both a publisher and advertiser. Some of our advertisers email us daily, others weekly, and some I never hear from

As an advertiser, we email about 2 times a week.

What is the right frequency?

IMHO, somewhere between twice a month and twice a decade - depending on the quality and relevancy of the information in the newsletter. It's what is contained in the correspondence that makes all the difference.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    imho, somewhere between twice a month and twice a decade - depending on the quality and relevancy of the information in the newsletter. It's what is contained in the correspondence that makes all the difference.
    +1
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Hi Bill

But what if you had a daily special? How one approach that?

Speaking as an affiliate, daily would be way too frequent.. my inbox is already filled to the brim.

I actually don't mind some weekly advisories if they contain *new* relevant information AND the affiliate link.. nothing is more annoying than frequent emails that tell me I can pick up links in the network interface (I already know that, so it has doubled my time spent on one link/promotion).

However weekly advisories sent out only as a store reminder can become annoying pretty quickly.

Hope this helps!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sforzley View Post
    In what capacity? As a publisher targeting your users or as an advertiser targeting your affiliates?

Personally, as an affiliate, don't bother sending me "daily specials". I don't know about others - but for us it's already too late to promote it.

A "daily specials" calendar would be great - at least a couple weeks in advance...
    Last edited by Convergence; March 31st, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Bill

Daily specials would likely work better as an RSS, especially if the feed can be picked up and used directly.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    In what capacity? As a publisher targeting your users or as an advertiser targeting your affiliates?

Personally, as an affiliate, don't bother sending me "daily specials". I don't know about others - but for us it's already too late to promote it.

A "daily specials" calendar would be great - at least a couple weeks in advance...

In the capacity of a publisher targeting consumers.

You bring a great point, So lets say next wednesday, I have a TV on sale and lets say its a great offer, cheaper than anywhere you can get it online, and lets say you are open to daily specials. When would you want to hear about this offer? The day off, the day before, one week before?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar

You bring a great point, So lets say next wednesday, I have a TV on sale and lets say its a great offer, cheaper than anywhere you can get it online, and lets say you are open to daily specials. When would you want to hear about this offer? The day off, the day before, one week before?
    I wouldn't unless I was ready to buy a TV - so the email would be annoying.

Suggest you allow users to opt-in to a specific product category or item and be alerted that way. This way your special is being targeted to those who are interested and ready to buy...
    Last edited by Convergence; March 31st, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    "twice a decade"

I would divide your publishers into WE LIKE email and DON'T BOTHERS US types.

Years ago "drastic @ WmW was the mod of affiliate STUFF.
    His attitude was something like " I don't want to be your buddy, just leave me alone!

I have one merchant who sends out a weekly email outlining the "theme" of next week's promotions... publisher link included to the deal page, it saves me loads of time.

I'm also in agreement with Convergence - nothing more annoying than getting SAME DAY one-day only advisories.. who has time to add, then delete?

Some of the suggestions are good here, but personally I wouldn't check a calendar, or review RSS feeds.

I would provide a link to a generic deal page, and remind publishers periodically of the types of products (and at what discount).
    Last edited by teezone; March 31st, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    I send a newsletter out once a month that covers any new advancements in our software or new resources that we have available to affiliates.

I've long been of the opinion that you should send newsletters when you have something newsworthy, rather than on a set schedule. If you have nothing new to report, monthly is too frequently. If you have something new, waiting several days for the next scheduled email is too long.

As far as daily deals, email is definitely the wrong technology to share those with your affiliates. It's fine for that to be one option, but very few will want daily emails. Give them plenty of options (RSS, API, email subscription, forum thread, etc.), rather than forcing them to use a single one.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Also, it's good to segregate out your coupon/deal affiliates from your other affiliates, as they're usually interested in more frequent emails.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

For us during holidays usually once or twice a month... Off season more once every two months. There is the occasional error that I may have made in accidently sending a newsletter out five times thinking there was an error. Noob moment which I instantly regretted.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

I would ask your list for feedback. Do a poll on a 3rd party service and ask them how often they want good solid information from you. Every niche will be different.

Sending an email every three days is perfectly acceptable. Doing it more frequently than this may risk annoying your subscribers and cause them to unsubscribe. Sending emails less frequently may inhibit or slow down the process of building a relationship with your subscribers and make it harder to convert sales.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Sending an email every three days is perfectly acceptable.
    Sorry, I have to disagree with this... as a publisher, I don't want to hear from the same merchant every 3 days - it's unlikely they have something new to say.

Relationship-building isn't about frequency of communication, it's about providing affiliates with quality information.

Totally agree - every 3 days is probably WAY too often.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

The OP said it was
    like a newsletter, but yes, every three days will have your list whittled down to dead accounts in no time unless they specifically opted in to a daily mailing.

Ah, good catch. That wasn't clear in the initial post and I didn't read the followup posts very closely.

If we're talking about consumers, I think it depends entirely on the consumer expectations. I receive multiple newsletters EVERY DAY (one for each city I subscribe to) from Groupon, but that's what I expect. For some other sites, I get monthly newsletters (as a consumer) that I don't read, because I have no interest in them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

hourly

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread